The 6TB STBD6000100 3.5" Desktop Internal Hard Drive from Seagate allows you to store and access up to 6TB of your files when installed in a desktop computer, NAS device, or RAID array. 6TB will allow you to store movies, photos, music, documents, and much more. Compatible with systems running Windows, Mac OS, and Linux, this hard drive connects to your system's 3.5" bay via the SATA 6 GB/s interface. In terms of speed, this drive operates at 5900 rpm and the 128MB cache helps ensure uninterrupted data transfers.
While certain versions of Windows don't recognize drives larger than 2TB, Seagate overcomes this with their free DiscWizard software. Using this software, hard drives larger than 2TB can be used on Windows systems that do not natively support those drive capacities. In addition to the DiscWizard software, this drive comes with support for Seagate's Perpendicular Recording Technology, OptiCache Technology, and AcuTrac Technology.
Included with this hard drive are SATA cables, as well as mounting screws.
- SATA Interface
- The hard drive connects via the SATA 6 Gb/s interface (Rev. 3.0). The SATA interface is also backwards compatible with SATA Rev. 2.0 (3 GB/s).
- 1TB Per Disk Technology
- Internally, this drive uses 6 1TB disks, incorporating 340,000 tracks in the width of a single inch
- Perpendicular Recording Technology
- Perpendicular Recording Technology increases performance and reliability by aligning the data bits vertically on the disk within individual disk platters. This allows bits of data to be placed closer together without risk of the bit changing polarity, since perpendicular bits hold polarity better when they are closer together. Perpendicular Recording Technology allows higher capacity through higher areal density and improved reliability through better polarity stabilization.
- Seagate OptiCache Technology
- Helps boost overall performance by as much as 45% over the previous generation of Seagate drives. The main gain is for misaligned 4K drives where the media cache (a sub-set of OptiCache) helps offset any performance degradation that would occur from having to read an existing 4K sector, modify the contents, and then write to add a section of 512 bytes of data that ended up in the middle of a 4K physical sector. The drive can write to the cache and then later migrate that data to the appropriate location on the drive when activity is less intense.
- Seagate AcuTrac Technology
- Helps ensure smooth performance, even in tough environments. AcuTrac allows better track alignment making the drive more resistant to vibrations and therefore more robust.
- Seagate DiscWizard Software
- This free software allows you to install drives larger than 2TB in Windows, including XP, without the Universal Extensible Firmware Interface BIOS. Only 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Vista allow native boot and data disk usage of drives larger than 2TB. While 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and Vista support drives larger than 2TB for data use, DiscWizard Software is required to use the drive as a boot disk. When using Windows XP, DiscWizard is required for boot and data disk usage.