The Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash is Canon's mid-range shoe mount flash, yet it offers many of the same advanced features as its bigger brother, the 580EX II. It is designed to fully support the entire range of Canon digital SLR and G-series cameras.
The Speedlite 430EX II Flash is compatible with Canon's latest E-TTL II (Evaluative Through The Lens) auto exposure technology. When combined with a compatible Canon camera and compatible lens, E-TTL II utilizes subject distance and other information that automatically modifies flash power, resulting in accurate flash exposure regardless of subject size, reflectance, or photographic composition. This is great for photographers that shoot high contrast or reflective subjects, like those encountered in wedding photography. Photographers can now capture every detail from the black of tuxedos to the white of wide smiles and wedding dresses.
The fully swiveling bounce head zooms automatically over a range of 24mm-105mm. Its Wireless E-TTL II compatibility permits it to function as a slave unit, triggered by a 580EX, ST-E2, or MR-14EX. Any number of 430EX and 550EX Speedlites can be combined as slave units for creative effects.
The Speedlite 430EX also automatically transfers color temperature information to recent models of digital SLR cameras. The camera then sets the best white balance setting for the flash shot. This feature works when the camera's white balance mode is set to Auto White Balance (AWB) or Flash white balance mode.
- Flash or Camera's LCD Panel
- Flash controls can now be set on the flash's rear LCD panel, or directly on the camera's LCD screen on compatible EOS Digital SLR cameras.
- Quick Access to Features
- Intuitively placed controls keep features easily accessible, such as adjusting manual flash exposure from full power to 1/64 in 1/3 stop increments, and enabling the second curtain sync function. A separate Custom Function button provides maximum control over various flash functions.
- Added Flexibility
- Nine custom functions are also now available, as well as a flash head that is more maneuverable and capable of more angles for bouncing flash illumination than its predecessor.
- Multiple Flash Exposure Modes
- E-TTL II, E-TTL, TTL & Manual
- Improved Recycling Time
- 20% faster recycling time than the Speedlite 420EX
- Optimum Flash Coverage
- Automatically adjusts the flash coverage to adjust for differences in chip size on APS-C sized digital cameras
- Pro Functions
- High-speed FP sync mode, Rear curtain sync, SE Save Energy, and FE Lock (spot/partial flash metering)
- Wireless Operation
- Wireless TTL "slave" flash with EOS 1V, EOS 3, D30 and Pro Digital cameras
- AF Assist
- Ultra-bright 2-LED focus assist-beam compatible with all focus points of all EOS AF systems, up to 9-point AF