The 16-50mm f/2.8 DT Standard Zoom Lens from Sony is a bright zoom lens, specifically designed for Sony Alpha-series of DSLR cameras. When used with cropped APS-C sized DSLR cameras, the 35 equivalent focal length for this lens becomes that of a 24-75mm zoom. It is constructed of 16 elements in 13 groups, as well as Aspheric and Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, which all help to deliver sharp, clear photos throughout the zoom range. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.0' and a front-end filter diameter of 72mm.
Its aperture is constant throughout the zoom range, and will remain f/2.8 as your chosen focal length increases. It also has 7x circular aperture blades that work to produce smooth, out of focus background effects.
- 35mm Equivalent: 24-75mm
- This 16-50mm lens has a 3.1x zoom factor, and is the 35mm equivalent of a 24-75mm lens on the cropped APS-C cameras it was designed for.
- Aperture Range: f/2.8-22
- With f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, up to a maximum of f/22, the high quality of this lens means you don't have to sacrifice aperture for higher focal lengths as some lenses do when zooming in.
- For DT Alpha & Minolta DSLRs
- Sony Digital Technology (DT) Alpha lenses are ideal for use on cropped, APS-C size DSLR cameras, and are not recommended for use with full frame DSLR camera bodies.
- Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) Elements
- To reduce chromatic aberrations, most noticeable when zoomed all the way in to the 74mm equivalent focal length, the extra-low dispersion glass corrects for certain wavelengths of light - producing sharper images with truer colors.
- Aspheric Glass Lens Elements
- These precision lens elements correct distortion for sharper, more visually accurate images across the entire zoom range of the lens.
- SSM Super Sonic Wave Motor
- Designed for fast, smooth, silent automatic focusing, this unique technology achieves high torque at low speed with rapid start/stop response. It operates through the ability of a piezoelectric device to reshape itself quickly when voltage is applied.
- 7x Circular Aperture Blades
- Circular aperture blades produce smooth, rounded bokeh background effects when capturing spot-light sources in your pictures. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.
- Filter Thread: 72mm
- The front filter thread does not rotate, allowing rotating polarizing filters to be used.