The DiskStation DS1812+ 8 BAY NAS Server from Synology offers a high performance, scalable and full featured network attached storage solution that meets the needs of small and medium sized businesses. This provides an efficient way to centralize data protection, simplify data management and rapidly scale storage capacity with minimal time spent on setup and management.
The DiskStation DS1812+ features a fan-less CPU heatsink to prevent the single point of failure and achieve high reliability of the system with the CPU passive cooling technology. When the storage capacity of the Diskstation is nearing its limits, it can easily be expanded with the Synology DX5102.
The DS1812+ runs on the renowned operating system, DiskStation Manager (DSM), which integrates file-level and block-level storage in one unified storage system. Comprehensive network protocol support (CIFS/SMB, AFP and NFS) assures seamless file sharing across Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. Windows ADS and LDAP integration allows the DS1812+ to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment with no need to recreate user accounts
- High Performance, High Data Availability
- With the Link Aggregation enabled, Synology DS1812+ delivers an average 194.48 Mbps writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows environment and 202.20 Mbps reading*. It comes with USB 3.0 support which offers transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbps, nearly 10 times faster than USB 2.0. By having this feature, the Diskstation takes less time for data transfer and consumes less power. DS1812+ brings you the high performance that your data-intensive applications demand for a storage system and offers the ability to scale the storage capacity. 1
- High Reliability
- Reliable functioning of commercial systems is of paramount concern to business users who depend on these servers every day. The DiskStation DS1812+ comes with a fanless CPU heatsink to prevent the single point of failure. This achieves high reliability system design with the CPU passive cooling technology. When one of your system fans malfunctions, the built-in system fan redundancy mechanism can extend service uptime by keeping the remaining fan running and your DS1812+ performing basic operations until the replacement fan arrives. The 2 LAN with failover support and hot-swappable drives will ensure continual service uptime during drive replace mentor unexpected LAN failure. Your business requires a strong foundation to face mission-critical tasks so the DS1812+ delivers high reliability ensuring data access when it is necessary.
- Robust & Affordable Scalability Up to 72 TB
- When the storage capacity of the DS1812+ is nearing its limits, it can easily be expanded with the Synology DX510*. The Synology DX510 securely connects to the DS1812+ via an eSATA cable of specially-designed connectors on both ends to ensure maximum throughput. The Synology DX510 can directly expand the existing storage on the DS1812+ to a maximum of 72 TB capacity. 2
- Unified-Architecture and Virtualization Ready
- The DS1812+ runs on the renowned operating system, Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), which integrates file-level and block-level storage in one unified storage system. Comprehensive network protocol support (CIFS/SMB, AFP and NFS) assures seamless file sharing across Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. iSCSI is also supported as the ideal alternative to SAN solution for business. Affordable and cost-effective iSCSI allows large scale business to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts with the illusion of locally-attached disks. With the iSCSI support, DS1812+ provides a seamless storage solution for virtualization servers, such as VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V. Thin Provisioning is available for file-level iSCSI, enabling administrators to oversubscribe provision and then grow storage space essential for safety. With Thin Provisioning, you can be able to maximize the storage utilization to reduce the total cost of ownership for the storage system.
- Full-featured Business Applications
- The DS1812+ runs on the renowned operating system, Synology DSM, offering applications and features designed specifically for SMBs. Comprehensive network protocol support assures seamless file sharing across Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. Windows ADS and LDAP integration allows the DS1812+ to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment with no need to recreate user accounts. Directory Server package can turn DS1812+ into an LDAP-based directory server within minutes. IT administrators can bind other DiskStations to the directory server. With the same batch of directory user accounts, groups or employees can access all the DiskStations with the same user credentials. Windows ACL support on DS1812+ provides much finer-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing IT staffs to set up privileges to files and folders on DS1812+ through their familiar Windows user interface. The privileges set on Windows ACL will be applied to all access entries, including AFP, FTP, File Station, NFS and WebDAV. The secure privilege offers IT staff peace of mind, no worries about any loopholes. Internet file access is simplified by the encrypted FTP server and the web-based file explorer, Synology File Station. HTTPS, firewall and IP auto-block support ensure file sharing over the Internet is protected at a high security level. DS1812+ additional features allow replacing several pieces of network hardware. Synology Web Station with support for PHP/MySQL content allows for the hosting of up to 30 websites on a single DS1812+. Synology Surveillance Station offers a centralized interface to safeguard the office environments by deploying IP cameras throughout the network. The built-in mail server turns a DS1812+ into a dedicated mail service provider and the USB printer sharing capability minimizes businesses printing cost by sharing printing resources throughout the office.
- Energy Efficient Design
- Synology DiskStation is designed and developed for energy efficiency. Compared with the average PC counterparts, DS1812+ consumes only 50.6 watts in operation. The support of wake on LAN, scheduled power on/off and hard drive hibernation can further reduce power consumption and operation cost. Diskstation are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packaging materials. It acknowledges the responsibility as a global citizen to continually work to reduce the environmental impact of every product produced.
DiskStation Manager (DSM)
- Apps on Demand
The Web Based Platform:
DSM is a web based platform. This means that you can select the service that you want to use and install the corresponding apps, only when you need it. So you can choose from Photo Station, Download Station, Cloud Station and other web apps to install from Package Center. The total customization gives you more control over your network storage.
Easy Maintenance: Apps as packages can not only have a customized installation, it also indicate that updates can be offered more quickly.
- Cloud Station
The Cloud Station looks like any other folder on your PC, but the Cloud Station folder is actually a private cloud that always prepares itself up-to-date. It pushes files, songs and photos to any PC that you are working on and syncs automatically.*
Offline Viewing: View and edit your files anytime via the Cloud Station folder even without an Internet connection. You can edit spreadsheets, create a new document or upload photos all within the folder offline. After Internet access is resumed, all changes are automatically synced onto Cloud Station and can be viewed offline.
Everybody's Cloud: A single NAS is everyone's private cloud. Every user can own a Cloud Station folder on their own computers and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer. All clouds are on one DiskStation, where data security and privacy are guaranteed. In addition, when your PC and DiskStation are in the same local area network (LAN), the transfer rate is higher than what is offered over the Internet thus uploading large files and syncing becomes faster. 3
- Synology ezCloud
Even without any network settings, you can still access your files remotely. With Synology's ezCloud, there is nothing you cannot retrieve over the Internet. Once the network cable is connected to your DiskStation, you can use Cloud Station and DS file to access and sync files. There is no need to configure a router or any other network device. You can access your files from anywhere.*
Personal DDNS: Control the internet presence of your cloud with Synology's DDNS service. Free and reliable, ezCloud lets you directly register a personalized domain name from Synology. There are no more hassles of seeking third party service. You can log into the MyDS Center webpage and see the status of your registered Synology NAS right away.
Stay Connected With Notifications: You can get notifications on the status of your DiskStation through multiple channels. On top of SMS and email notifications, Diskstation now provides free push services on Skype, Windows Live Messenger and DS finder for iOS devices. You can decide which events to trigger notifications and avoid unnecessary alerts. Event categories can be precisely set for you to take appropriate action as needed. 4
- Synology Hybrid RAID
Instant Volume Creation and Optimized Storage Capacity:
DiskStation Manager makes volume creation and optimized storage capacity simple with Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR). You do not need to study the difference between RAID types and requirements.
Unlike traditional RAID that creates volume based upon the smallest hard disk within the array, SHR divides each hard disk into smaller chunks, creating additional redundant storage. This allows the capacity of each disk to be utilized to its maximum, thus optimizing total volume capacity.
Store Files Quickly: You don't need to wait for the volume setup to be complete before storing data in NAS server. With SHR, you can start moving data into DiskStation during volume creation.
Reliable Fault Tolerance Mechanism: Depending on your choice, SHR provides 1 to 2 hard disk fault tolerance of data protection. If one hard disk fails to function properly, your data is still accessible unaffected.