Three years in the making, the Meade LX400 series of telescopes are the culmination of Meade's expertise in optics and instruments and are certainly worthy of professional consideration.
Using a similar basis of design as that in most of the world's observatories as well as the famous Hubble Space Telescope from NASA, they've actually eliminated the typical secondary mirror support structure inherent in this configuartion which causes diffraction spikes that degrade image contrast & resolution. The LX400s consist of a hyperbolic secondary and corrector lens/primary mirror combination that performs as one hyperbolic element.
The result of all this is an enormous field free of coma from edge to edge. Combined with its phenomenal mount and tracking capacity, astrophotographers using the latest imaging technology can capture tack-sharp images over wider areas, and visual observers can enjoy pinpointing stars across a larger expanse. The contrast is incredibly high, like that of an apochromatic refractor, and you'll also have the deep-sky capacity that only a large aperture such as this affords.
This version of the 20" LX400 arrives with the combination of the MAX equatorial mount with AZ Pier.
- Innovative MAX German-Type Equatorial Mount
- Built-in Sony® GPS receiver
- Internal cabling eliminates interference
- Local, network or remote web control capacities
- Three 2nd generation USB ports
- Permanent altazimuth pier
- Clutchless hard-loaded worm drive (worm diameter of 1.1667" & 13.8" worm gear diameter)
- UHTC Ultra-High Transmission Coatings standard
- Manufactured entirely at Meade's Irvine, California facilities
- Viewing is at a 90° angle, with the images being upright(though laterally reversed)
- Software downloads available upon Meade's site include tracking the satellites!
- Automatic telescope alignment provided by satellite communications
- Smart Drive periodic error correction gives up to observatory-like 5-arcsecond tracking accuracy
- Combonation carbon fiber & Kevlar tubing has great immunity to temperature-induced focusing shifts
- Front/rear cells allow maximum airflow around optics, achieving quickest "cool down" times(also has built-in fan)
- Nickel-chromium heating element dew heater upon corrector plate prohibits dew effeciently