Parallels Desktop 9 lets you launch Windows applications right from your Mac desktop, or move your existing Windows files, documents and other digital data directly to your Mac and continue to use Windows apps on your Mac. You can also copy and paste apps between your Windows and Mac environments. As in Parallels Desktop 8, switching between Windows and Mac desktops does not require rebooting, keeping your workflow uninterrupted. Windows 8 users have the convenience of a start menu and the ability to use tile apps in a window rather than in full-screen mode. Mac OS X Mountain Lion users can access features like Dictation, Launchpad and Mission Control while running Windows applications. Linux guest integration allows Linux users to have additional usability with the Mac OS.
New features include the Power Nap feature, which allows SSD-equipped Retina MacBook Pro or MacBook Air users to keep their applications up-to-date even while your computer sleeps. Parallels 9 also gives you the ability to print from any Windows application to a PDF on the Mac desktop, even if the application doesn't have that functionality. Additionally, keyboard shortcuts that you can edit will help you customize the Windows experience
Also new to this version is the Virtual Machine Wizard, which simplifies the setup of a virtual machine, especially on computers lacking DVD drives. Importing of existing virtual machines is also supported. Cloud services such as: iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive and more, sync without duplicating files. The Security Center offers complimentary security software updates for both Mac and Windows virtual machines, helping your machine stay safe from viruses and malware.
Finally, sticky multi-monitor support remembers your virtual Windows settings when connecting to an external monitor, if you're working in full-screen mode those settings will transfer to the remote monitor. Users of Thunderbolt and FireWire storage devices will also able to use those peripherals on their Windows virtual machine as well.
- Support for Cloud Services
- Sync iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive etc., with your Mac and Windows virtual machine without duplicating files.
- Windows 8 Support
- Parallels Desktop features a start menu and gives you the ability to use Metro apps in a window instead of full screen.
- Security Center
- Access and install complimentary security software subscriptions to keep your Mac and Windows virtual machines safe from viruses and malware, all from one PC and not on multiple desktops.
- Virtual Machine Wizard
- Streamlined virtual machine setup, especially on computers that don't have DVD drives.
- Power Nap Support
- On a Retina MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, the Power Nap feature extends to Windows as well, so virtual machines and all Windows applications can be kept up-to-date.
- PDF Printer for Windows
- Users can print from any Windows application to a PDF on the Mac desktop, even if the application doesn't have that functionality.
- Sticky Multi-Monitor Setup
- When using Windows in full-screen mode and connecting to an external monitor, Parallels Desktop will remember settings and put the Windows virtual machine back in full-screen mode on the remote monitor.
- Custom Keyboard
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts will enhance your Windows experience.
- Linux Guest Integration
- Parallels Desktop customers who use Linux now have additional and enhanced integration with the Mac OS.
- Mac Gestures
- Parallels Desktop now includes the addition of the Dictionary lookup gesture in Windows applications.