The DS214se Personal NAS Server from Synology features two storage bays each capable of handling both 3.5" or 2.5" hard disk and solid state drives up to 4TB for a total storage capacity of up to 8TB. Once the drives are inserted they can be formatted in EXT 4, while attached external drives can be formatted in EXT 4, EXT 3, FAT, NTFS, and HFS+. The internal drives can be arranged in a variety of RAID configurations including RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD, Basic and Synology's own Hybrid RAID. If the internal storage capabilities of this NAS server aren't sufficient, you can add additional storage by attaching external hard drives to either of the two integrated USB 2.0 ports.
This personal cloud storage solution comes equipped with a single core 800MHz processor and 256MB of DDR3 RAM ensuring an efficient flow of data to and from the drives. The maximum 8TB storage capacity can be allocated to support up to 512 users accounts in a maximum of 128 groups with a maximum of 256 shared folders. With the integrated DiskStation Management System (DSM) you can easily manage user accounts, device configurations, manage RAID configurations and more. Once configured, you can utilize the integrated Gigabit Ethernet port to begin administering your data to both local and remote users.
With integrated cloud capabilities through Cloud Station you can create and manage your own cloud to access your data virtually anywhere you go, at any time of the day. Data can be synced among a variety of devices including Windows, Mac, and Linux based PCs as well as both iOS and Android tablets and smartphones. This NAS server also comes DLNA certified allowing you to easily stream video, music, photos and more to devices connected to the same LAN for enhanced viewing.
- Choice NAS for Everyone
- The DS214se delivers an average of over 58MB/s writing speed under RAID 1 configuration in a Windows environment, and over 102MB/s reading. The built-in floating-point unit enhances the overall capability of the main CPU, and is particularly advantageous in speeding up thumbnail processing. Equipped with Synology's full multimedia applications, the DS214se is also an ideal solution for users looking for an entertainment and download center, providing easy and energy-efficient download service as well as multimedia streaming capabilities.
- Easy Setup and Management
Easily setup and manage your DS214se inside of your existing web browser with Web Assistant, allowing you to easily setup all vital system components in just a few simple steps. With the DSM quick start widget, users can tour the DSM operating system and set up use, simultaneously. The multi-tasking web UI on DSM allows users to run multiple applications simultaneously on one tab browser and switch between them instantly. Synology Hybrid RAID allows you to reach maximum use of your hard drive while keeping your storage safe with data redundancy.
When it comes to setting up the router configurations for access to the DS214se over the internet, the Synology EX-Internet Wizard simplifies the process. The EX-Internet Wizard walks you through all of the network settings including firewall, port-forwarding, PPPoE setup and DDNS registration.
- 24/7 Download Portal
- With its comprehensive built-in BT search engine, you can locate your desired files in just a few clicks. Turn off your PC and let your DS214se download all of your content directly to your centralized storage. With DS download on iPhone and Android, you can manage download tasks even while on the go.
- Certified DLNA Media Server
- As a fully certified DLNA DMS (digital media server), the DS214se serves as a ready media server, with the capability to host digital multimedia content for remote playback. Once connected to a wireless router, the DS214se is set to stream music, photos and videos to DLNA-compliant devices without being preconfigured. This enables users to enjoy their collection on larger screens, or with higher quality speakers. Synology even makes it possible for users to browse and select DiskStation contents using DS audio to designate a DLNA player within the same local network to play it.
- Anywhere / Anytime Availability
- QuickConnect and EZ-Internet help configure your DS214se for access over the Internet with minimal effort. Cloud station allows users to sync files among multiple devices, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android devices, keeping everything up to date. Combined with Synology's mobile apps for every popular feature, including DS photo+, DS audio, and DS video for multimedia access, DS download, DS file, and DS cloud for seamless file download/access/synchronization, DS cam for home security.
- Running on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)
The built-in Package Center allows you to download and install the packages designed specifically for your unique needs, whether it's sharing files on the cloud, sharing photos on an online album, setting up a VPN environment or even an antivirus to protect your system.
The simple interface allows you to configure your storage capacity with minimal complexity. It provides you with complete control of your personal cloud and lets you access it anywhere.
- Energy Efficient with Cool and Quiet Design
The Synology DS214se provides a larger fan and the smart airflow feature to keep the system running cool 24/7, its noise dampening design makes it really quiet compared to PC counterparts. The hard drive hibernation feature can further reduce power consumption and operation cost.
This Synology product is produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials.