The orange Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera is a highly compact and lightweight digital camera featuring a 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds Digital Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor to produce high resolution imagery with notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 25600. The combination of these two technologies affords a wealth of detail and clarity in imagery and also supports full HD 1080i/p video recording at 60 or 24 fps in the high-quality AVCHD format. The Venus Engine also affords fast continuous shooting speeds; up to 5 fps in full resolution, 40 fps using an electronic shutter, and 4 fps with full-time AF.
Benefitting the imaging capabilities is an equally well-performing Light Speed AF system, which uses a contrast-detection method for quickly and accurately acquiring focus in a wide variety of lighting conditions. When working with manual focus, Focus Peaking is available as a more objective means for determining critical focus.
The sleek magnesium alloy frame with aluminum alloy controls houses a large 3.0" 1,036k-dot LCD monitor, which features a touchscreen design for intuitive operation. Built-in wireless capabilities enable the GM1 to be remotely controlled from a linked mobile device and also supports image transfer to devices using the Panasonic Image App.
Included with the GM1 is the versatile Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA O.I.S. lens; a standard zoom providing a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-64mm. Its retractable design meshes well with the small form-factor of the camera and the inclusion of MEGA O.I.S. image stabilization benefits working with longer shutter speeds and in low-light conditions.
- 16MP Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
- A 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds Digital Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor work together to produce high resolution imagery that exhibits a great deal of clarity, detail, and overall impressive image quality. The processing power affords heightened sensitivity to ISO 25600 with minimal noise for enhanced use in low-light conditions. The Venus Engine also provides a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to record up 5 fps in full resolution, 40 fps using an electronic shutter, and continuous shooting at 4 fps with full-time AF.
- Body Design
- Featuring a highly compact design, the GM1 measures just 3.9 x 2.2 x 1.2" and has a lightweight magnesium alloy frame for refined looks and enhanced durability. An aluminum alloy top dial, shutter release button, and lever as well as a sleek artificial leather wrap also contribute to a high aesthetic appeal and functionality. A large 3.0" 1,036k-dot LCD monitor is available for live view, image playback, and menu navigation and features a touchscreen design to enable more intuitive use. Additionally, a built-in pop-up flash with a guide number of 13.1' at ISO 100 is also incorporated into the design to provide additional illumination when working in low-lit conditions.
- Focusing Performance
An array of focusing technologies are available to help ensure sharp focus when working in all shooting modes with any type of subject matter. Light Speed AF, a contrast-detection AF system that functions at a rate of up to 240 fps, is used to intelligently and accurately determine critical focus in quick and efficient manner. The speed of this system is ideal for photographing and tracking fast-moving subjects in a variety of lighting conditions. Low Light AF is also available to help determine critical focus in dimly-lit (-4 EV) conditions without the need of an AF assist lamp.
If working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to provide a more objective means for determining exacting focus based on highlighting edges of contrast within the scene. Pin-Point AF allows for live view images to be magnified from 3-10x during shooting for homing in on tight details and One-Shot AF allows focus to be acquired quickly and automatically with manual focusing abilities available for greater focus refinement and creative control. Full-area focus makes use of the intuitive touchscreen design and allows you to tap anywhere within the frame to set focus and AFF mode acquires autofocus as normal and then can reset focus if the determined target moves.
- Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA O.I.S. Lens
- Included with the GM1 is the standard zoom Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH MEGA O.I.S. lens, which covers a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-64mm. The lens complements the compact stature of the GM1 and features a retractable design to maintain an overall sleek profile. Three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element are incorporated into the optical design to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range while also contributing to high overall sharpness. Multi-coated lens elements also benefit the image quality through the reduction of lens flare and ghosting for more contrast-rich and color-neutral photos and videos. MEGA O.I.S. image stabilization minimizes the appearance of camera shake to support working in low lighting and with longer shutter speeds while support for the contrast-detection sensor drive at max. 240 fps focusing system enables quick and precise AF performance.
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity
- Wireless connectivity is integrated into the GM1 to enabled remote transferring and control of the camera from mobile devices when using the Panasonic Image App. Zoom and focus can be controlled through the app as well as remote releasing of the shutter. Images can be sent directly to mobile devices for instant sharing online and, additionally, locational information can be recorded to images' metadata using the GPS log of a linked mobile device.
- Full HD Video Recording
- The 16MP Micro Four Thirds sensor also supports full HD 1080 video recording in both 60i and 24p frame rates, at a maximum bit rate of 24 Mbps. Both the high quality AVCHD and the Internet-friendly MP4 formats can be used depending on the intended output and editing workflow used and stereo sound is recorded with videos using a built-in microphone. Full-time continuous AF and tracking AF modes can be used during recording and exposure settings can be manually adjusted using programmed AE, aperture-priority, shutter speed-priority, and manual exposure modes. Touch AF and Touch AE controls also prove to be effective means for modifying the focus and exposure settings while recording video and focus peaking is ideal when working with manual focus.
- Other Camera Features
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) automatically composites several images of varying exposures in order to gain greater highlight and shadow details and an extensive middle range of tones.
- Touch AE allows you to select the point within the image where an exposure metering is taken; ideal for backlit subjects or high contrast scenes.
- The iA (Intelligent Auto) modes help to intelligently assign a range of exposure-related benefits in order to produce more realistic, high-quality imagery, and include Handheld Night Shot, iHDR (Intelligent High Dynamic Range), AF Tracking, Intelligent D-Range Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Recognition, and Intelligent ISO Control. Additionally, iA Plus Mode enables control over background defocus, exposure compensation, and white balance settings for even more refined control.
- Silent Mode switches the shutter from mechanical to electronic operation and disables all sounds and AF assist lamps for greater inconspicuousness while shooting.
- Time Lapse Shot automatically records sequential images over a set period of time, which can then be automatically combined in order to produce a time lapse video.
- Stop Motion Animation permits the creation of stop motion videos by automatically sequencing frames into a video file without needing to use an editing program.
- A Level Gauge can be used to help ensure level horizons and plumb verticals. The gauge will automatically switch orientation when shooting in the vertical format.
- Monochrome Filter in Photo Style works to simulate the effects of black and white color contrast filters, such as yellow, orange, red, and green filters, to enhance the appearance of monochromatic images in-camera.
- Multi Exposure mode allows up to four distinct exposures to be made and layered within a single frame for unique, creative effects.
- Clear Retouch makes it possible to remove unwanted objects, figures, or other aspects of an image by simply tracing over them on the touchscreen monitor.
- Creative Control mode facilitates the creation of creatively enhanced imagery by providing 22 different effects, including Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
- A supersonic wave filter protects the sensor from dust and is able to vibrate approximately 80,000 times per second in order to effectively repel dust and other particles.
- Language support: English and Spanish.