The black Ricoh WG-4 GPS Digital Camera is a compact, durable point-and-shoot featuring a 16 megapixel 1/2.3" backlit CMOS sensor and a waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, coldproof, and dustproof construction for recording both high-resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p movies in a wide variety of conditions. The combination of the sensor and new-generation image processor also avails notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 6400, continuous full-resolution shooting up to 1.5 fps, and 12-14 fps burst shooting at a lower resolution.
A built-in Ricoh 4x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 25-100mm to suit working in everyday shooting situations. A maximum aperture of f/2-4.9 benefits low-light use and complements the sensor-shift type Shake Reduction image stabilization system. This SR mechanism is further enhanced by Pixel Track and high ISO Shake Reduction to minimize the appearance of camera blur when photographing in difficult lighting conditions.
Rounding out the rugged capabilities is a built-in GPS module, which automatically records location and travel log data to images' metadata and also provides positional information in real time on the rear 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor.
- Rugged Design
The WG-4 revolves around its durable, weather-proof construction to enable its use in harsh and trying conditions:
- Waterproof to 45.9'
- Shockproof to 6.5'
- Crushproof to 220 lbf
- Coldproof to 14°F
- Dustproof to JIS 6 standard
- 16MP Backlit CMOS Sensor
The 16 megapixel 1/2.3" backlit CMOS sensor, combined with a new-generation image processor, works to deliver high-resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video at 30 fps. These two technologies also enable rich low-light quality and sensitivity to ISO 6400 as well as continuous shooting rates of 1.5 fps at full resolution or 12-14 fps at 4 or 5MP for up to 30 frames.
Movies are recorded in the Internet-friendly MP4 format and utilize a built-in stereo microphone to deliver clear sound. High-speed movie recording is also possible up to 120 fps in the HD 720p format.
- Ricoh 4x Optical Zoom Lens and Shake Reduction
The built-in 4x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-100mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of conditions. Four aspherical elements are incorporated into the lens design to minimize chromatic aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range and to produce sharp, clear imagery. An SP (Super Protection) coating has also been applied to the front lens element to offer greater protection and simplify cleaning of the lens. Additionally, a maximum aperture of f/2-4.9 benefits working in low-light conditions.
Also contributing to enhanced use in dim lighting, sensor-shift type Shake Reduction image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake to better enable working with longer focal lengths and slower shutter speeds. This image stabilization system is further refined by way of digital Pixel Track and high ISO Shake Reduction modes to further alleviate camera blur.
- GPS Module
- A GPS module is incorporated into the camera's design to automatically record location data and travel log data into image's metadata for geotagging capabilities. Additionally, a built-in pressure/altitude/water-depth gauge and a digital compass are also integrated into the WG-4 GPS.
- Other Camera Features
- Six LED macro lights surround the lens to produce brighter, more even lighting when working with close-up subjects.
- A 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor provides a large, bright means for live view monitoring, image review, and menu navigation. Its wide viewing angle of 170° supports easier use from both high and low working angles.
- A 9-point contrast detection focusing system provides quick and accurate focusing performance and is also capable of detecting subject's faces using Smile Capture, Blink Detection, Self Portrait Assist, Self Portrait Assist + Smile Capture, and Pet Recognition settings.
- The processing engine contributes to a fast shutter lag time of 0.016 sec. and a startup time of 1.8 sec.
- Interval shooting modes allow you to record a series of exposures at pre-determined intervals for producing time-lapse imagery.
- In-camera HDR imaging combines three captured images at once and blends them to realize extended shadow and highlight detail. Additionally, an HDR playback filter can be used to simulate the HDR effect.
- Including Shutter Priority and USER modes, 29 different shooting modes are available to creatively enhance the look and feel of imagery.
- A series of playback modes, effects, and filters can be used to further refine the look of images post-capture: Image Rotation, Small Face Filter, Ink Rubbing Filter, Collage, Digital Filter(B&W/Sepia, Toy Camera, Retro, Color, Extract Color, Color Emphasis, High Contrast, Starburst, Soft, Fish-eye, Digital filters (playback): (B&W, Sepia, Toy Camera, Retro, Color, Color Extract, Color Emphasis, High Contrast, Starburst, Soft, Fisheye, Brightness, Miniature), HDR Filter, Original Frame, Movie Edit, Red-Eye Edit, Resize, and Cropping.
- Language support: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, and Russian.