This item is controlled on the U.S. Commerce Control List set forth in the Export Administration Regulations or the U.S. Munitions List set forth in the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, and may require a license or other authorization from the U.S. Government to be exported from the United States. Without limitation, parties purchasing from B&H are solely responsible for determining applicable export licensing requirements and for obtaining any licenses or other authorizations from the appropriate agencies of the U.S. Government that are necessary for exporting the item, such as the U.S. Department of Commerce or the U.S. Department of State.
The black Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-3 Digital Camera is a compact, ruggedly-designed point-and-shoot featuring enhanced durability to enable its use in a wide variety of conditions. In addition to being fully sealed from dust, the TG-3 is built to withstand underwater dives up to 50' deep, falls from up to 7' high, temperatures as low as 14°F, and pressure up to 220 lbf. While serving to protect on an array of adventures, these features are also well-suited to use in everyday circumstances.
In regard to imaging, a 16MP BSI CMOS sensor and TruePic VII image processor work to produce high-resolution imagery with notable low-light sensitivity and quality. The combination of these two technologies form Olympus' iHS technology, which serves to realize fast performance throughout the camera system, including a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 5 fps and the FAST AF system, while also maintaining low image noise with a native sensitivity of ISO 6400. The sensor and processor also support recording full HD 1080p movies at 30 fps as well as SD 480p movies at up to 120 fps.
Benefitting the imaging capabilities of the TG-3 is a fast 4x optical zoom f/2.0-4.9 lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-100mm. Complementing this lens' reach, as well as aiding the camera's use in low-light conditions, is sensor-shift image stabilization, which helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake.
For image monitoring and review, as well as menu navigation, a 3.0" 460k-dot LCD is incorporated into the camera's design. Accessing the menu system reveals a host of different camera features and settings, including a built-in intervalometer, automated Time-Lapse movie creation, a close-focusing Microscope Mode, and the ability to utilize built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS, and an electronic compass.
- TOUGH Design
The TG-3 is designed to withstand a wide variety of conditions, ranging from harsh climates to everyday mishaps:
- Waterproof to depths of 50' / 15.2m
- Freezeproof to temperatures as low as 14°F / -10°C
- Shockproof to falls from 7' / 2.1m high
- Crushproof to withstand up to 220 lbf / 99.8 kgf of pressure
- Dustproof to protect the internal components of the camera
- 16MP BSI CMOS Sensor and TruePic VII Image Processor
- A 16 megapixel 1/2.3" backside-illuminated CMOS sensor and TruePic VII image processor work together to enable iHS (Intelligent High Speed) Technology, which benefits both the overall image quality and performance throughout the TG-3. The BSI design of the image sensor realizes notable sensitivity to ISO 6400 along with reduced noise levels to enhance image quality, especially in regard to working in difficult lighting conditions. Complementing the sensor's duties is an apt image processor, which benefits both the look and feel of imagery as well as enables a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 5 fps for working with fast-moving subjects. Furthermore, iHS technology also supports the use of the Intelligent Auto shooting mode, with accelerated scene recognition, as well as an enhanced FAST AF system.
- 4x Optical Zoom Lens and Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
- Incorporated into the compact body design is fast 4x optical zoom f/2.0-4.9 lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-100mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives. Benefitting this lens' versatile zoom range is sensor-shift image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake to realize sharper imagery with slower shutter speeds, longer focal lengths, and during macro shooting. Additionally, 2x Super Resolution Zoom and 4x digital zoom can also be utilized to effectively increase the zoom magnification for working with distant subjects.
- Full HD Movie Recording and Time-Lapse Movie
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p video recording is supported at 30 fps, as well as high-speed 120 fps or 240 fps recording, for slow-motion playback, in the SD 640 x 480 format or 432 x 324 format, respectively. Beyond straight movie capture, a dedicated Time-Lapse Movie mode automatically compresses images made with the interval shooting function into a 10 second HD 720p movie with 10 fps playback. The built-in intervalometer enables you to record up to 99 sequential frames with 1 second to 24 hour intervals, and a 1 second to 24 hour start timer.
- Built-In Wi-Fi, GPS, and eCompass
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables seamless sharing of photos and movies from the camera to a linked mobile device for instant sharing online. Utilizing the Olympus Image Share app, you can also remotely control the camera from a smartphone or tablet, including the ability to zoom in or out, adjust exposure and focus, and release the shutter. Additionally, utilizing the location data from a mobile device, you can geotag your imagery for plotting to an interactive map using the included Olympus Viewer 3 software.
Complementing the Wi-Fi connectivity, an integrated GPS module can quickly locate your position and also enables on-board geotagging and landmark-tagging capabilities. Furthermore, an electronic compass is also available, and can display a variety of information including latitude and longitude; atmospheric and water pressure; altitude and water depth; and the date and time.
- Microscope Mode
- Contrasting the wide field shooting abilities of the TG-3, dedicated Microscope shooting modes can be used to home in on minute details. Four different modes are available: Microscope, for close-up shooting as near as 1cm away; Microscope Control, which allows you to dial in different display magnifications using microscope-like controls for attaining critical focus; Focus Bracketing, where a series of individual images are recorded at different focus positions; and Focus Stacking, where, again, a series of individually-focused images are recorded and automatically composited into a single frame realizing an extended depth of field than possible with a single exposure.
- Other Camera Features
- The built-in 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor permits bright, clear viewing during shooting, image review, or when navigating the menu system.
- Face Detection AF, AF Tracking, and AF Lock focus modes are available to suit working with a wide variety of subject types.
- Photo Story is a creative mode allowing you to create a multi-perspective narrative within a single image, with multiple templates available to choose from.
- Backlight HDR automatically combines multiple exposures within a single frame to realize an extended range of tones with greater shadow and highlight detail than a single exposure can record.
- Hand-Held Starlight mode helps to create sharp, blur-free images of nighttime scenes without the use of a tripod.
- A built-in Panorama mode allows you to create in-camera panoramic imagery, up to 360° across, by simply panning the camera about the scene.
- 11 different Art Filters can be applied to creatively enhance imagery: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Dramatic Tone, Fish Eye, Sparkle, Reflection, and Fragmented.
- Three different Picture Modes can be applied to alter the overall quality of imagery: Vivid, Neutral, and Muted.
- In-addition to the standard 2 second and 12 second self-timer delays, a custom self-timer can be set to record 1-10 pictures in a 1-3 second interval with a 1-30 second start timer.
- In-camera image editing: Resize, Crop, Audio Clip (record 4 sec. audio clip for an image file), Red Eye Fix, Shadow Adjustment, Rotate Image, and e-Portrait (smoothes skin tone for viewing on an HDTV).
- Language support: English, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, German, Italian, Russian, Czech, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Croatian, Slovenian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovak, Turkish, Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Korean, Simple Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Thai, Arabic, Bulgarian, Romanian, Persian, Indonesian, Hebrew, Malay, Vietnamese, and Japanese.