The AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens from Nikon is a wide-angle to short telephoto zoom lens specified for use with DX format Nikon DSLR cameras. Its 35mm focal length equivalence is 25.5-82.5mm, enabling a versatile set of perspectives that incorporate most focal lengths used in day-to-day and travel photography. At the wide-angle end it provides an inclusive view useful for landscape vistas, interiors, street shots and group shots of friends and family. The zoom advances to cover standard focal length and short telephoto perspectives, ideal for portraiture and to mildly magnify your subjects. Its constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 provides consistency throughout the zoom range and is effective in low light and allows shallow depth of field control.
The lens' optical design includes three Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements to control chromatic aberration and three aspherical elements to reduce coma and aspherical aberrations. Nikon's Super Integrated Lens Coating improves light transmission, minimizing flare and ghosting. A circular 9-blade diaphragm creates pleasing, natural looking out-of-focus highlights.
An internal focus system lends itself to a compact form factor, provides precise focusing and does not extend or rotate the front elements while focusing. A Silent Wave Motor offers fast and near-silent autofocus action and manual focus override allows for precise manual control even in AF mode. This G-type Nikkor lens is designed with no aperture rings and offers easy operation.
- Fast, wide-angle zoom lens for DX format cameras with a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and a 35mm focal length equivalence of 25.5-82.5mm.
- Three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration, provide higher resolution and superior contrast
- Three aspherical lens elements minimize distortion, especially at the periphery, for superior optical performance
- The Silent Wave Motor for swift autofocusing with superior accuracy and ultra-quiet operation
- Internal Focusing design for smoother movement, close focus capability and a barrel that does not extend while focusing
- M/A mode allows rapid switching between autofocus and manual even during AF operation, with virtually no time lag
- The rounded 9-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural