The Liquid Channel is a single professional channel strip that can precisely emulate any classic microphone-preamp and compressor. Combining analog preamp technology with Dynamic Convolution techniques, the unit fuses cutting-edge analog design with lightning fast SHARC DSP.
But rather than creating a similar sound to vintage units, as with modeling devices, The Liquid Channel precisely emulates their sonic behavior. This is achieved through Dynamic Convolution, the application of a unique, level-dependant set of responses to an audio signal. These measured responses, sampled at numerous levels and with every possible setting combination, are applied to the input stream on a sample-by-sample basis for accurate emulation.
Augmented by fully digital controls and optional remote software, The Liquid Channel provides the ultimate fluid vintage collection.
- Analog and Digital
- Combines a highly complex, flexible analog front-end with Dynamic Convolution processing, that runs at sample rates of up to 192KHz. The front panel controls are digital, with tactile rotary encoders. All parameters can be stored in one of 99 program memories. If the user is using the unit in conjunction with a recording platform (e.g. Pro Tools,) both the session files and The Liquid Channel's program memory can be sent via standard data transfer methods, providing a completely mobile recording session.
- Mic-pre emulation can't be achieved in software alone. Hardware is also required to provide the physical interaction with the microphone. The hardware front-end is designed so as to be able to match the input impedance and signal path (transformer or electronic) of the device being emulated.
- Not all Vintage Units are Equal
- Second order harmonic distortion is a beneficial artifact of analog circuits (especially tube and transformer-coupled designs) providing what is commonly referred to as "warmth." However, often two units of the same type will vary in the amount of second order distortion produced, so an additional control for modifying this property is provided. This allows for precise matching of the Liquid Channel to a favorite mic-pre.
- Remote Control and Infinite Expansion
- The USB port on the rear panel allows remote control of The Liquid Channel, leaving the processor safely racked away. The software application also serves as an archiving system for additional emulations and program memories, and permits downloads of additional classic units from Focusrite, allowing the unit to be infinitely expandable.