Genelec is a pioneering developer of the active studio monitor, and the introduction of the 8040A nearfield monitor represents the continuing advancement of this technology.
The 8040A is a modestly sized, bi-amplified, 2-way speaker targeting the project, A/V Post and mobile production markets; basically any professional audio production environment where space considerations are paramount. The speaker is equipped with twin 90 Watt amplifiers powering shielded 6.5" and .75" low and high frequency drivers, respectively, housed in a sturdy die-cast aluminum enclosure with a black, semi-matte finish.
The two unique features of the 8040A are the MDE (Minimum Diffraction Enclosure) cabinet design, and the Iso-Pod (Isolation Positioner/Decoupler) speaker mount.
The MDE design avails itself to the extreme of the recent trend toward radiused, rounded and curved speaker cabinet construction, the purpose being to minimize or eliminate the aberrant frequency diffraction and wave reflection caused by hard, boxy enclosure edges, and thereby improving spatial imaging and overall playback consistency. The Genelec manifestation of this principle is vaguely sculpturesque in appearance and projects a bit of extraterrestrial...well, cool, for those of us requiring visual and sonic stimulation.
The Iso-Pod is a 4-footed polymer positioning mount for the 8040A, that allows for precise vertical or horizontal speaker placement, raising and isolating the speaker from the rumble and other low end resonances that are often caused by the placement surface of choice.
The 8040A rear panel connector is a balanced 3-pin XLR female type; unbalanced leads may be used, however, with proper grounding instructions provided in the owner's manual. A flexible complement of tone control DIP switches is also available on the rear panel, allowing adjustment for the possible acoustic vagaries of a given room environment.
A bass port for improved low end reproduction, a recessed power switch, and an input sensitivity trim knob fulfill the remaining rear panel sound and control enhancements. An LED power indicator is located on the front panel. Genelec has also built several support points into the rear of the enclosure for wall or ceiling mounting, and a 3/8" stand mounting thread is built into the base.
The 8040A is a worthy and progressive solution for professional recording, mixing and post production applications, impeccably crafted and attractively priced.
- 2-way biamplified studio monitor with dual 90 Watt amplifiers and active crossover
- Magnetically shielded for use in close proximity to computer monitors
- Minimum Diffraction Enclosure (MDE) design with rounded edges curved front and sides for smooth frequency response and clear spatial imaging, minimal cabinet edge wave diffraction
- Directivity Control Waveguide (DCW) and rear panel reflex port design for accurate and balanced wave dispersion, durable die-cast aluminum cabinet construction
- Metal grille covering for drivers
- Front Panel power switch and volume control
- Isolation Position/Decoupler (Iso-Pod) rubber speaker mount allows for precise vertical or horizontal speaker positioning, separates speaker from placement surface, eliminating rumble and other aberrant vibration related resonances
- Integrated rear support points for wall and floor stands, 3/8" threading for enclosure cabinet base mounting
- Balanced XLR Input
- Versatile rear panel Treble and Bass Tilt, Desktop Low Frequency and Bass Roll-Off tone control switches for optimizing speaker to acoustic character of room environment
- Rear panel Input Sensitivity switch
- Transparent Overload Protection circuitry
- Switchable power supply for international use