The Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio Binocular is a special star all by its lonesome, and should prove to be a popular addition to the Pentax collection of binoculars.
Papilio is the Latin word for butterfly, and this binocular is an ideal companion for observing insects, museum artifacts and(of course) butterflies at incredibly close range. The close focusing capacity of a binocular is in some measure quite limited by the position of the objective lenses themselves, but this particular Pentax has a unique Convergent Lens Optical System which brings the objective lenses closer as the focusing dial is adjusted to shorter distances. Thus the left and right fields of view are once again aligned, and the end result of all this is that you can have razor-sharp observing at just 1.6' (0.5 m)! Take them to the zoo and enjoy the stark realities of the reptile house like never before. Be fascinated by intricate details of a skittish species at your local aquarium. And, of course, it is a great binocular at more conventional focusing range as well.
Sharing much of the design elements of the other "reverse porro" binoculars from Pentax, this unit has the family trait of a dual-axis interpupillary adjustment mechanism. Moving one barrel cause the other to move as well, making for speedy adjustments, an eternally centered bridge and a more durable unit less likely to be misaligned from shocks. The Pentaxes are also amongst the very rare compact porros to offer an integrated tripod socket and an optional tripod adapter, which is great with a monopod for long walks in the woods with the unit.
- Well suited to travel, museums and sports/theatre events
- Sliding eyecups
- BaK-4 Porro prisms and multicoated lenses
- Integrated ±4 dioptric correction
- 56-74mm Interpupillary adjustment range
- Pentax "Worry Free" Warranty
- Pentax will repair or replace this binocular to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95. This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, theft or loss. Replacement may be with comparable model at Pentax's discretion if the original model is no longer available.