The Panasonic AG-HPX500 is an affordable 2/3" CCD high definition camcorder designed for use with the P2 memory-based recording system. The camera truly shines in a wide variety of applications previously only possible on the highest-end Varicam. The unit is lightweight enough to take almost anywhere while still conforming to the shoulder-mounted form factor professionals require. Four P2 slots allow for up to 256 minutes of continuous recording.
Unlike similar priced camcorders, the AG-HPX500 can shoot a variety of standard definition and high definition resolutions, including 720p, 1080i and 1080p. All footage is recorded to the industry-standard DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, DVCPRO HD formats, which can be used in almost every professional editing suite. Features such as variable frame rates, 60p, chromatic aberration compensation (CAC), cine-like gamma, and many others provide limitless possibilities for dramatic, news and sports productions. No matter what the task the AG-HPX500 has it covered.
Note! This model does not come with a lens.
- P2 Flash Memory Recording Storage
- The AG-HPX500 is the first high definition ENG camcorder to feature P2 (professional plug-in) capability. P2 was developed as a recording system for professionals and is widely used amongst broadcasters and independent videographers. P2 products use no drive mechanisms, making the camera more resistant to impact, vibration and temperature change. Currently, there is a choice between 16GB and 32GB P2 cards. A 16GB card will record 16 minutes of the highest quality DVCPRO HD video, 40 minutes of 720/24pN video, as well as up to 64 minutes of standard definition DVCPRO25 or MiniDV. A 32GB card will double these run times.
- High-Quality 2/3" CCDs
- Borrowing technology from the highly acclaimed AG-SDX900, the AG-HPX500's advanced 2/3" progressive CCDs provide the kind of high sensitivity not available in comparably priced cameras. This advanced CCD combined with a newly developed digital signal processor (DSP) in combination with a very sophisticated offset spatial technology, can achieve unparalleled images while maintaining a high S/N ratio.
- Advanced Digital Signal Processor
- The AG-HPX500's advanced digital signal processor uses 14-bit A/D conversion and 19-bit inner processing to attain unprecedented accuracy. While the camera does not record 1080/60p, it is from this capture that all other signals are made, which includes both 1080/24p and 1080/30p. The DSP performs a variety of adjustments, including eight types of gamma settings, for each of the R, G and B channels. It also converts the signals to HD or SD format. With performance equivalent to processors used in many higher-end HD cameras, the AG-HPX500 delivers beautiful images in all video formats regardless of resolution.
- DVCPRO HD Codec
- Thanks to a low compression ratio at a bit rate of 100 Mbps (1080/59.94i, 720/59.94p) along with the easy-to-edit intraframe compression system, DVCPRO HD is suitable for recording fast-moving subjects with no motion artifacts whatsoever, making it ideal for slow-motion capture. The 4:2:2 sampling rate minimizes jaggies at chroma edges and is advantageous in image compositing. Sound quality is excellent as well, thanks to uncompressed 16-bit, 4-channel digital audio recording capability.
- Professional Camera Features
- The camera features almost every conceivable input, including HD-SDI. Serial Digital Interface (SDI) allows users to output and view digital video without any digital to analog conversion. This can be used for both recording and display purposes, providing the highest quality signal possible. The standard 2/3" bayonet mount allows cinematographers to change lenses depending on budget and application.
- Chromatic Aberration Compensation
- Chromatic aberration (CA) usually appears as a hard pink glow at and around high contrast areas and lines. The phenomenon often results from imperfections in the camera lens' optics. While using compatible lenses, the AG-HPX500 can internally correct for chromatic aberration distortion through its sophisticated CAC technology.
- Super Reliable Work Flow Process
- The P2 card is a new solid state recording media that Panasonic developed to bridge the gap between information technology and professional video. About the same size as a PC card, the P2 card stores large amounts of video and audio data in MXF-format files. This solid state memory is free of tape related problems such as drop-outs. It provides superior resistance to impact, vibration, and temperature changes. And it is impossible to over-write important data. Unlike tape there is no need to fast-forward or rewind to reach selected points of video. The user selects a thumbnail image and the video clip can be viewed right away. Similarly, once the record button is pressed recording starts immediately.