The 24-70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss T* Alpha A-Mount Standard Zoom Lens from Sony is a bright zoom lens, specifically designed by Carl Zeiss for the Sony Alpha-series of DSLR cameras. Unique to this lens is the Carl Zeiss T* (T-star) coating that helps reduce lens flare, while increasing contrast. When used with cropped APS-C sized DSLR cameras, the equivalent focal length for this lens is 36-105mm. It is a compact all-in-one lens, and is ideal for snapshots, portraits, interiors or outdoor scenery.
This lens is constructed of 16 elements in 13 groups, as well as 3x Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, which all help to deliver sharp, clear photos throughout the zoom range. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.5' and a front-end filter diameter of 77mm.
The lens' maximum aperture is a fast f/2.8 and can be maintained throughout the zoom range. Its minimum aperture is f/22. It also has 9 circular aperture blades that work to produce smooth, out of focus background effects.
- 24-70mm Focal Length
- This lens has a 2.9x zoom factor, and its 24-70mm focal length range is equivalent to 36-105mm in APS-C format.
- Aperture Range: f/2.8-22
- The maximum aperture is f/2.8 and can be maintained throughout the zoom range. Minimum aperture is f/22.
- Carl Zeiss T* Glass Coating
- The glass within this lens has Carl Zeiss' T* (T-star) coating, which is designed to eliminate lens flare, internal reflection and light scattering that can otherwise occur at glass-to-air surfaces.
- For Sony Alpha & Minolta DSLRs
- Designed for APS-C sized sensors, this lens may be used on any Sony Alpha & Minolta camera, depending on your needs and current system.
- 2x Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) Elements
- To reduce chromatic aberrations, most noticeable when zoomed all the way in to the 105mm equivalent focal length, the extra-low dispersion glass corrects for certain wavelengths of light - producing sharper images with truer colors.
- 2x Aspheric Glass Lens Elements
- Both of these precision glass elements correct lens distortion for sharper, more accurate images across the entire zoom range of the lens.
- SSM Super Sonic Wave Motor
- Designed for fast, smooth, silent automatic focusing, this unique technology achieves high torque at low speed with rapid start/stop response. It operates through the ability of a piezoelectric device to reshape itself quickly when voltage is applied.
- 9 Circular Aperture Blades
- Circular aperture blades produce smooth, rounded bokeh background effects when capturing spot-light sources in your pictures. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.
- Focus Hold Button
- This lens is made with a Focus Mode switch and Focus Hold button, which offer better focus control whenever you need it.