The Sound Devices 788T Portable Digital Recorder builds on the success of the Sound Devices 7-series digital recorders. The 788T is a lightweight and compact professional recorder and features 8 digital recording tracks. An internal 160 GB SATA hard drive, CompactFlash media with UDMA support, external FireWire hard drive or DVD-RAM (with bus powering) all serve as compatible recordable media. Any or all of these options may be used to record audio simultaneously and the 788T serves as a mass storage device when connected to high-speed USB / FireWire ports on Windows and MAC OSX computers.
Eight microphone and line-level inputs are provided as four XLR and four TA3-male connections. The 788T has eight channels of balanced AES3 digital input and six channels of balanced AES3 output for simple integration with compatible AES3 digital cameras and mixers. All of the 7-series feature still apply; including 48V phantom, limiter, polarity reverse, high-pass, selectable delay and headphone monitoring on each input.
Firmware revision 2.01 for the 788T is now available for download andinstallation. It is recommended that all 788T users and owners update now. Detailed instructions and changes are on the download page at: http://www.sounddevices.com/download/788t-firmware.htm
Please note that not all memory cards are approved to work with this device. Please check manufacturer's website for a list of approved cards.
Compact and Durable
- 8-track portable hard disk/Compact Flash audio recorder with 160GB internal hard drive and full time code implementation
- Compact aluminum and stainless-steel chassis for exceptional durability and light weight, resistant to environmental extremes
Comprehensive Professional Connectivity
- Eight channels of improved microphone and line inputs with phantom power, limiting, and high-pass filters
- Three-channel, balanced mic/line level outputs on TA3 connectors
- Multi-pin AES3 I/O for complete compatibility with supported digital cameras, mixers, etc
- High speed FireWire and USB port for high-speed data transfer to computers for editing and backup
High-Resolution Recording and Synchronization
- 24-bit or 16-bit with or without dither, up to 96kHz sampling rates
- Input-to-track assignment with 256 possible routing combinations
- WAV or BWF format, mono or poly files, uncompressed PCM audio
- MP3 encode and decode, 32 to 320 kb/s stereo file
- Stable, reliable Ambient time code circuitry, tunable to <0.2 PPM accuracy with all relevant TC rates, full Word Clock I/O
Flexible Metering and Powering
- Programmable backlit, sunlight-viewable LED level metering; selectable, menu-driven metering ballistics
- Large backlit, adjustable LCD display; fully dedicated status and activity LED indicators, backlit controls
- Removable Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, compatible with Sony M- and L-mount batteries
- 10-18VDC external input powers and charges on-board battery, 100-240V worldwide power supply