Omnisphere from Spectrasonics is their new flagship virtual instrument and a successor to Atmosphere. The synthesizer combines a wide variety of real-time synthesis techniques with a huge 40GB core sound library. To hold all of this together while providing an elegant and easy-to-use interface, the development team at Spectrasonics created the STEAM Engine.
The STEAM Engine allows the user to process already interesting core samples with an intriguing set of synthesis and effects processor, thereby transforming the core material into truly inspiring sounds. The user interface features progressive layers of "zooming" that can be used by a wide range of users - from musicians who just want to be inspired by the sounds and customize them in an easy way, to the most advanced sound designers.
The sounds in the core library were acquired using various techniques including a new Composite Morphing Technique (CMT) which morphs the harmonic characteristics of one instrument to another. Additionally, parts of the core library include all of the Atmosphere content, along with a collection of some of Spectrasonics' award-winning sample libraries.
Eight independent arpeggiators can be used in a single multi-timbral instrument to allow for creating complete compositional sections. However, the real beauty of these arpeggiators is that they can be synchronized to the feel of any RMX drum loop via Groove Lock or any other MIDI file. This means no more conflicting rhythmic feels. Additionally, sounds can be modulated by multiple LFOs or by using advanced multi-breakpoint looping envelopes.
- Beautifully crafted virtual instrument with wide ranging sonic possibilities
- Simple interface design makes key features accessible to every user while advanced users can "zoom" into deeper and deeper layers to explore the instrument's synthesis capabilities
- Performance oriented Live Mode interface allows for seamless, interactive creative patch switching and layering on the fly
- Stack Mode interface allows for complex patch layering, splits and crossfades with control available via velocity, keyboard note and other controllers
- Sophisticated browser that is context specific with searching, sound attributes, descriptions and images
- Eight independent arpeggiators with Groove Lock - allows the arpeggiators to match the feel of Stylus RMX and/or MIDI files
- Eight-part multi-timbral with built-in mixer, auxiliary FX and mastering FX racks
- Advanced MIDI Learn and Automation parameter handling
- Comprehensive integrated Reference Guide
- Includes an extensive set of video tutorials and synthesis lessons available online to registered users