The Digital MPA II from ART is a 2-channel microphone preamplifier that delivers a total of 70dB of gain, and can operate in either stereo or dual-mono mode. Based on the same circuitry as the ProMPA II, the microphone preamp is perfect for any sized studio, production facility, or live sound environment where digital output is required. The unit outputs all 3 major digital standards with Wordclock input and output also included.
The signal path of the DIGITAL MPA II consists of a discrete class-A microphone pre-amp followed by a variable low-cut filter, a tube circuit with a 20dB gain switch and then a phase switch. At this point the signal passes to both the analog output and a pair of insert jacks. The insert jacks allow processing of the signal before it is passed on to the analog to digital converter. Simply inserting a signal into this insert point provides access to the A/D converters, allowing the converter to be used independent of the preamp's analog functions.
The preamp provides variable input impedance, and the dual-tube gain stage has selectable plate voltages (high or normal). The unit has the ability to process a mid/side microphone set-up, and can also function as a dual-channel DI box using the 2 front panel instrument inputs. Two backlit VU meters display output level, while multi-colored LED arrays provide a visual reference of tube gain for each channel. The Digital MPA II is rack mountable and housed in a sturdy, 2U steel chassis.
- 2-channel, variable input impedance microphone preamplifier
- Tube based gain stage with selectable plate voltages
- Instrument input on front panel with automatic input selection
- Analog to digital converter supporting ADAT Lightpipe, coaxial S/PDIF and AES/EBU digital output
- Selectable sample rates up to 192kHz with optional 16-bit dithering of the 24-bit converter
- Wordclock input and output, along with ADAT input, allows for working with different synchronization requirements
- Dual insert points provide access to the signal for added processing just prior to the analog-to-digital converter, or for providing external access to the converter
- Selectable Stereo/Dual operation of output controls
- Variable low-cut filter per channel
- Switchable +48V phantom power per channel
- Supports Mid/Side miking technique
- Large, dual, back-lit VU meters
- Phase reverse per channel
- Switchable for either +4dBu or -10dBV output