The Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar Aspherical II 15mm f/4.5 is a great improvement on one of their best lenses, really a lens that put Voigtlander on the map for the Leica M mount shooters. With sturdy, traditional high-quality Japanese construction and classic style, the Super Wide-Heliar's likely the most practical choice as your widest lens for use with Leica M8 cameras and future digital rangefinder Leica M mount offerings. Fitted with a 52mm UV/IR rejection filter and coded as "WATE" to the Leica M8, you'll find that light falloff and cyan shifting are extremely well-corrected.
Made in Japan by Cosina (a small optics company who also manufactures Zeiss-branded lenses), the Super Wide-Heliar uses the same optical formula as its beloved predecessor and adds accurate rangefinder coupling, 52mm filter threads, and a modern Leica M mount (instead of the Leica screw mount).
This lens offers a f/4.5 maximum aperture, but unlike many lenses it performs nearly as brilliantly at f/4.5 as it will at friendlier apertures of f/5.6-11.0. An optional dedicated viewfinder's available. This lens triggers the 28/90mm framelines on Leica M bodies.
- Now rangefinder coupled and with Leica bayonet M mount
- Accepts 52mm filters, very important for Leica M8 users
- An ideal performing ultra wide angle lens
- Tack-sharp even at f/4.5
- Sturdy metal barrel
- Fixed-position petite lens hood
- Supremely compact; just 1.5" long and only 0.35 lb
- 10-Bladed aperture diaphragm
- Full multicoatings upon every optical surface
- Made in Japan