One might consider the Ultravid 8x20 from Leica to be the ultimate, or consummate, compact binocular. They are in fact - without a doubt - one of the finest pocket-sized optics available.
These 8x20s weigh in at a mere 8 oz/230 g or so. This, combined with their nearly-negligible length of 3.6"/92mm, establishes them as leaders in the world of discreet optics. Being able to focus down to a sweet 7.2'/2.2 m opens up new viewing horizons for the lucky owner - this is a huge advantage over garden-variety binos with their so-called 'minimum' focus of 15' or more. It's true - good things definitely do come in small packages.
These Ultravids offer an outstanding magnification level of 8x, and being graced with a trim 20mm objective gives them an advantage where size is a concern - yet it's important to remember that this configuration relegates them for use in well lit conditions.
The spectacular optical performance of this fine binocular starts with extremely high-quality roof prisms that are fine-tuned with phase-correcting P40 coatings and the High-Lux System. Each of the 6 lens elements are treated with HDC coatings, and the durable aluminum housing is filled with dry nitrogen and sealed for total water and fogproof performance. In a more user-friendly manner of speaking - your view will be crisp, clear, and full of rich details.
Roof Prism - Dual Bridge
Sleek profile, folds up easily, creates a pocketable footprint
- Internal FocusVia central focus knob; maintains constant length when focusing
- Multicoated OpticsLenses feature HDC multicoating for optimum clarity, color, and contrast
- P40 Phase CorrectionEliminates roof prism phase-shift to deliver high-contrast, superbly defined images
- Water and FogproofNitrogen filled housing: guards against internal fogging with sudden temperature changes
- HighLux-SystemA highly reflective mirror coating on the prism surfaces combined with an optimized interior surface design - this minimizes stray light while increasing light-throughput for crisp high-contrast images