The Sound Devices 552 Production Mixer combines professional-quality analog and digital technologies in a robust metal housing to provide a compact and lightweight mixing and recording solution for a variety of applications. The unit features 5 transformer-balanced XLR mic inputs, each with its own limiter and sweepable high-pass filter. Each of the inputs also has its own pre-or-post-fader direct output. It also features 3 sets of master outputs and several unbalanced outputs, allowing you to connect to a variety of recorders, cameras, and more. The master XLR outputs can be set for analog or digital operation, and are capable of sending 4 channels of 24-bit AES/EBU signals.
The 552 also features an internal stereo recorder, which can capture WAV or MP3 files at either 16-bit or 24-bit; with sample rates from 44.1kHz all the way up to 96kHz. The unit accepts SD and SDHC flash memory cards, which are widely-available and feature no moving parts for exceptional reliability. A simple joystick control on the 552's front panel lets you take command of recording functions.
All of this technology is packed into a compact unit that weighs less than 5 pounds. The top and bottom chassis panels are constructed from molded, metalized carbon fiber for exceptional durability. The front panel is gasketed for excellent moisture resistance. The unit can operate on a set of 4 AA batteries, or an external 10-18VDC power supply.
- Lightweight and Portable
- The unit has a lightweight design that uses metalized, molded carbon fiber top and bottom panels for strength and durability. It also has a gasketed front panel for resistance to moisture
- 5 Input Channels
- The mixer features 5 XLR inputs, each with 2-stage gain control, a limiter, a sweepable high-pass filter, and solo monitoring. Each input also has its own dedicated pre-or-post-fader TA3 direct output
- Analog and Digital Outputs
- The mixer has 3 sets of balanced master outputs, as well as several unbalanced connectors for versatile connectivity to complex and multi-camera setups. The XLR outputs can be set for analog or digital operation, and are capable of outputting 4 channels of 24-bit AES/EBU digital audio
- Built-in Stereo Recorder
- The internal recorder can write WAV or MP3 files to SD or SDHC cards at rates as high as 24-bit/96kHz. Recording controls are accessed by an easy-to-use joystick on the front panel
- Flexible Metering
- The bright LED meters offer accurate level metering, including a zoom mode for high-precision monitoring near 0dB
- Time Code Capability
- The mixer can accept time code input in order to time-stamp your files
- Setup Menu and Voice Confirmation
- When accessing and navigating the Setup Menu, voice confirmations are played back in your headphones to supply you with critical operational information
- Powering Options
- The mixer can be powered with a set of 4 AA batteries, or by an external 10-18VDC power supply for terrific flexibility