The WAVEDRUM from Korg is an electronic percussion synthesizer. Unlike standard trigger pads found in most electronic drums, the WAVEDRUM features multiple sensors that detect the actual sound of its head when it is struck. Sounds are generated by processing the audio from the head, applying DSP (digital signal processing), and blending in a triggered sample. The result is a unique tone with every strike, and an electronic drum that behaves like an acoustic instrument, responding differently to hands, sticks, and brushes.
There are 200 different built-in instruments for the head and rim with a wide range of percussive sounds, such as talking drums, bongos, bells, marimbas, kicks, snares, electronic drums, etc. Melodic instruments are also included (sitars, Japanese Kotos, etc.), and the pitch can be controlled with velocity. There are also 100 preset programs, which combine percussion, drums, and sound effects for a unique playing experience that will react differently to any individuals playing style. You can save 100 of your own custom preset programs as well.
With the 4 buttons on the rim you can scroll through 4 preset programs on the fly, which is handy for live performance. There are 100 built-in loops in different tempos and styles that you can jam along with. An auxiliary input allows you to connect two WAVEDRUMs, or input any sound source (such as an MP3 player) so you can play along by connecting to an amplifier, or playing privately on your headphones. It fits on a standard snare drum stand, and its lightweight and compact form allows you to take the WAVEDRUM anywhere with ease. The drum head can be tuned and tightened to your liking, and it's easily replaceable should you wear it out from playing obsessively.
- Revolutionary Synthesis Technology
- WAVEDRUM generates sound by detecting the sound of your strike via the head and rim sensors, and processing this audio source by DSP (Digital Signal Processing) sound synthesis technology to create unique sounds
- Unique Sounds Generated by 36 Different Algorithms
- WAVEDRUM keeps things sounding fresh by applying and combining several different software synthesis methods; including analog, additive, non-linear, and physical modeling
- 200 Different PCM Instruments for Head and Rim
- There are 200 different built-in instruments for the head and rim with a wide range of percussive and melodic sounds, such as talking drums, bongos, bells, marimbas, kicks, snares, electronic drums, and many more
- 100 Preset Programs, 100 User Programs
- There are 100 built-in preset programs that combine percussion, drums, and sound effects in complex ways that can produce completely different sounds according to your playing technique
- Live Mode
- You can register twelve frequently-used programs (four programs x three banks) in buttons 1-4 for immediate recall, which is really convenient for live performances
- 100 Loop Phrases
- The built-in 100 loop phrases cover a broad range of genres and tempos, allowing you to play along for a one person jam session
- Aux Input
- The aux in connector lets you connect another WAVEDRUM unit, an MP3 player, or an external sound module, and play along with that audio source
- Lightweight and Compact Design
- The WAVEDRUM features a lightweight and compact design for comfortable playing on your lap or in a snare stand