The DroboElite 8-Bay Array Enclosure from Drobo is an external storage enclosure that uses Drobo's BeyondRAID technology for data protection. The array system, which offers many of the benefits of a RAID while avoiding the inflexibility associated with RAID storage, features dual iSCSI ports for SAN installation.
iSCSI uses a standard Gigabit Ethernet connection to directly attach storage to a computer or to multiple computers via an Ethernet switch. It delivers bus speeds superior to those provided by FireWire-800 or USB 2.0. The array ships in a desktop configuration; an optional 3U rackmount kit is available.
The enclosure supports up to 8 standard 3.5" SATA hard drives. You can configure the storage capacity of the Drobo to suit your needs; you'll even be able to mix and match drive capacities without sacrificing data protection. The DroboElite features Smart Volume management technology, eliminating the need to manually resize and migrate volumes.
- Multi-Host Connectivity
- Have multiple servers that need storage? No problem. The DroboElite connects seamlessly to your existing TCP/IP network and utilizes the industry-standard iSCSI protocol to provide simple, consolidated storage for your servers
- Best-in-Class Performance
- Why trade simplicity for performance? DroboElite is extremely simple to manage and delivers outstanding performance thanks to the revolutionary BeyondRAID technology that was designed to run efficiently on cost-effective hardware. Featuring advanced capabilities including multiple stream optimization and dual Gigabit Ethernet interfaces for high-speed iSCSI, DroboElite offers up to 50% faster throughput than the already blazing fast DroboPro
- Up to 8 Disks of Instant Expansion to 16TB and Beyond
- Grow your storage to meet your data capacity needs with minimal effort. To add capacity, simply insert a new hard drive or replace your smallest drive with a larger one, even when all eight-drive bays are full. Unlike traditional RAID systems, the BeyondRAID technology found on DroboElite enables you to mix and match capacities, drive brands and speeds. This allows for continuous expansion as drive capacities grow. With DroboElite, expansion is automatic, instantaneous and access to data is always maintained
- No Headache Dual-Drive Redundancy
- Enable the dual-drive redundancy option to protect against the simultaneous failure of up to two hard drives. It's all done with a single click, without ever losing access to your data. Running out of space? You can click to switch back to single drive redundancy. Unlike moving between traditional RAID 5 and RAID 6, there's no need to reformat or migrate data off of the array, potentially saving you hours or days of downtime
- Dual High-Speed iSCSI Interfaces
- Unfamiliar with iSCSI? It's an industry-standard, high performance protocol that has become extremely popular with businesses and individuals who demand high data storage throughput, but it can often be complex to manage. DroboElite changes that by introducing zero-click iSCSI connection creation with optional LUN-level CHAP authentication for both Windows and Mac OS X
- The Virtues of Smart Volumes
- Create new volumes in seconds and manage up to 255 x 16TB volumes over time with ease. The innovative and timesaving Smart Volume management technology integrated into DroboElite allows volumes to pull storage from the common pool of drives rather than a specific physical drive allocation, eliminating the need to manage capacity at the volume level. Smart Volumes are also data aware, allowing deleted data blocks to be returned to the common pool and ensuring that volumes remain as efficient as possible over time
- Simplify Your VMware Environment
- Storage is an integral part of a successful virtualization strategy. DroboElite has been tested for use with VMware to eliminate risk from your storage decision and help accelerate deployment of your virtual server environment
- Rack Mount Ready, Desktop Quiet
- DroboElite is equally at home in a rack mount environment as it is on your desktop. Dual smart fans automatically manage their speeds to optimize both cooling and minimize operating noise
- What is BeyondRAID?
- BeyondRAID leverages the same underlying data protection methodologies as traditional RAID, including mirroring and striping with parity; however, BeyondRAID applies these algorithms on top of a robust and flexible storage virtualization platform. This allows for the removal of the limitations and drawbacks normally associated with RAID