Well, we're not commuting to work wearing jetpacks yet like the magazine editors promised us we would someday. But engineers have developed some pretty weird and wonderful technology nobody could have foreseen. Take the Yamaha YSP-YSP-4100 Digital Sound Projector.
The YSP-4100 is a single black bar 40.5 inches long. You can place it on your TV stand or with an optional bracket you can mount it on your wall. You get the picture. Now get this. This single bar can produce 5 channel and 7 channel surround sound that you'd swear was coming from speakers placed all over the room. If you want 5.1 or 7.1 channel sound just add an optional wired or wireless subwoofer.
Set up is easy. Once you've placed the unit, plug in the IntelliBeam microphone, place it in your listening position and the system "fingerprints" your room's acoustics. And speaking of beams, that's how the thing works. It contains 40(!) inch and a half (4 cm) speakers that together "beam" sounds to the exact right locations, taking into account the location of furniture, walls and other room characteristics.
The YSP-4100 offers multiple surround sound decoders including DTS and Dolby Pro Logic IIx and it offers 11 Cinema DSP modes: three movie, three music and five entertainment.
The YSP-4100 can be the center of your home theater system. It's got four HDMI 1.3 inputs and one HDMI 1.3 output. It handles Blu-ray and DVD signals beautifully and if you watch a lot of television programming you'll love its UniVolume feature. It keeps commercials from blasting out at a higher volume than the program you're watching.
But the YSP-4100 has a lot to like beyond its video capability. Its FM radio offers 40 station presets. With an optional SiriusConnect tuner you can enjoy all the satellite radio has to offer. (But there's a parental lock if you don't want your kids to have unlimited access to it.)
This set even includes its own wireless iPod and iPhone dock and you can even use your iPod or iPhone as a remote control for the unit. It also includes a wireless subwoofer receiver (but not the subwoofer). Pick the compatible subwoofer you want and your YSP-4100 can send it floor shaking bass without your having to string a wire to it.
- Digital Sound Projector Technology
- The YSP-4100 applies this sophisticated technology to precisely control the orientation of the sound by focusing it through multiple beams. The center channel sound is heard directly, while sounds from other channels are heard after reflecting off walls. The result is true multi-channel surround sound that sounds just like a multi-speaker system—but without the need for extra speakers!
- Each sound beam is precisely directed. Total sound beam effect is optimized. Frequency response and other parameters are optimized for the room.
- UniVolume is a Yamaha-developed technology that maintains a consistent volume level between different channels, programs, commercials and input sources. For instance, when watching TV while using UniVolume, the volume of commercials will not be louder than the program being viewed. The same is true when switching sources to watch a DVD or Blu-ray movie or to listen to music on CD. This is particularly helpful for late night watching and listening when spikes in volume can disturb others in the house or apartment building.
- Dolby TrueHD
- Dolby TrueHD is Dolby's next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.
- DTS HD Master Audio
- DTS-HD Master Audio delivers sound quality that matches the clear and vivid images of high-definition video. Blu-ray discs deliver five times the video resolution of standard DVD and produce images with stunning realism. But that's only half of the story. You need incredible sound to complete the high definition experience and DTS-HD Master Audio provides the highest quality multi-channel sound possible. Movies come alive with sound as lifelike as the picture, and music becomes as real as a live performance.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx is an extension of Dolby Pro Logic II. This algorithm processes native stereo and 5.1-channel content to produce 6.1 or 7.1 output channels. Dolby Pro Logic IIx expands choice in playback system configuration (allowing 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 playback channels). It also allows a convenient upgrade path from a traditional 5.1-channel sound system to 7.1 output channels.
- DTS Digital Surround NEO:6
- Good news: All of your stereo CDs and older movies, even analog TV shows on disc and VHS tape, can now magically sound bigger and better! DTS Neo:6 makes full use of your YSP-4100's capabilities, filling the room with a natural sound field.
- CINEMA DSP Digital
- Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha CINEMA DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent sound fields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects from ideally located in these separate sound fields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and startlingly realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater! The decoding circuitry performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES (DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1), DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24 decoding with extreme accuracy, as well as all digital sound field processing.
- yAired Wireless Technology
yAired is a Yamaha original wireless technology that offers many benefits, such as:
- Simple, convenient operation - unlike Bluetooth products, no pairing is needed.
- Wireless operation—remote control with auto power on and volume control
- Superior sound quality—uncompressed wireless audio transmission (linear PCM).
- Real-time communication—Audio and Video synchronization
- Wireless iPod Transmitter and Wireless Subwoofer Receiver Included
- Yamaha includes two examples of its advanced wireless technology for transmitting uncompressed audio. The YIS-W10 transmits music to iPods and iPhones. (See the listing below). The SWK-W10 transmits LFE (low frequency effects) wirelessly to a yAired-compatible subwoofer. So you can enjoy the truly deep bass that only a subwoofer can provide without having to string a wire to it. (The subwoofer itself is not included. Pick the one that's just right for you.)
- Made For iPod / Works With iPhone
These are Apple's official labels for products that meet their strict standards. They're your guarantee that your YSP-4100 will work with these Apple products the way Yamaha says they will. The YSP-4100 is compatible with these models:
- iPod 5th Generation
- iPod classic
- iPod touch
- iPod nano
- iPhone 3G
- Compressed Music Enhancer
- Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3 and WMA. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.