The MOTU HD Express Video Interface w/ PCI Express Card is a high-definition video and audio capture and monitoring device with support for Final Cut Pro (Mac) and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (Windows). The HD Express connects to your desktop computer by filling an open PCI Express slot. The PCIe card then connects via the included HDMI cable to the main 1RU, half-rack-wide I/O interface.
The HD Express features HDMI input and output, for both capture and monitoring of HDMI-conveyed video and its eight embedded channels of audio. The HDMI input enables you to directly connect an HDMI-capable camera and capture full-raster, uncompressed HD video straight from its image sensor(s), before it's processed and recorded. The video interface's HDMI output enables monitoring on any modern flat-panel monitor or projector with a corresponding input. Resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 are supported.
For import to the nonlinear editor, select the supported codec of your choice for the video you capture with the HD Express, and the video interface will support it for monitoring output. By importing the video directly as a supported codec (such as Apple ProRes or ProRes HQ in Final Cut Pro) from the HD Express, you eliminate unnecessary compression stages that might result from copying wrapped video files to the desktop.
The HD Express also supports broadcast-quality SD video capture and monitoring for both PAL and NTSC regions. The device features connections for component HD/SD, composite, and S-Video in 10-bit 4:2:2.
Perhaps owing to MOTU's technological heritage, audio is well-served by the HD Express interface. Besides embedded audio channels from the HDMI connections, there's also S/PDIF in and out, stereo RCA analog audio input, and eight channels of RCA analog audio out, for monitoring on 5.1 or 7.1 surround-sound speakers. The interface supports all standard audio sample rates from 44.1 to 96 kHz.
- HDMI video capture and monitoring for Mac & PC – Capture uncompressed-quality, digital HD from HDMI-equipped camcorders. Monitor pixel for pixel on plasma and LCD screens
- Analog video I/O – Capture and monitor component HD or SD, plus composite and S-Video (NTSC or PAL)
- Connects to a Mac or PC tower via PCI Express for ultra-fast operation
- Comprehensive video capture & monitoring – supports all standard SD and HD video formats up to and including 1080p30 (720p, 1080i, 1080p & 1080PsF)
- Captures and plays uncompressed HD and SD – 10-bit 4:2:2 color depth and 1920x1080 resolution
- Support for ProRes and other popular codecs – capture and monitor full-raster (1920x1080 or 1280x720) Apple ProRes, ProRes HQ, or other popular host-based codecs supported by Apple Final Cut Pro and (for Windows 7 or Vista, 64-bit only) Adobe Premiere Pro
- Support for file-based workflows – lets you capture, edit and monitor in any codec supported natively in Final Cut, including XDCAM, P2, AVC Intra, DVCPRO and others with no transcoding needed
- Broadcast quality – 10-bit 4:2:2 signal path throughout
- Comprehensive audio – Capture 8 channels of embedded HDMI audio. Play back stereo, 5.1, or even 7.1 surround sound directly to powered speakers. Connect speakers, a home theater amp or an audio mixer and monitor your mix in stereo or full 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Also provides S/PDIF digital I/O with sample-rate conversion
- Supports 12 channels of simultaneous audio input and 16 channels of simultaneous audio output
- Front-panel 1/4" headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- Half rack space form factor with dedicated connectors – no cable swapping or gangly, inconvenient breakout cables. Includes rack mounting brackets