The Boxee Box from D-Link is a digital media player that bridges the gap between digital media and your HDTV. Supporting 1080p output via HDMI, the oddly-shaped device lets you stream media from your computer or the Internet via 802.11n Wi-Fi or a standard Ethernet interface for playback on your TV. It also features USB 2.0 ports and an SD card slot, making it easy to add local storage.
The Boxee Box supports playback of video, music, and photos. It is capable of playing almost any file, thanks to support for a wide range of container and codec formats. It also lets you play video clips from many popular websites, thanks to a wealth of available modules -- some of which are included with the software, and others which can be downloaded from within the Boxee interface.
The Boxee Box also supports Netflix streaming. If you're already a Netflix subscriber you are undoubtedly familiar with their streaming service. For the uninitiated, you'll be happy to know that Netflix houses a library tens of thousands of titles -- many in HD -- that can be watched instantly over the Internet. The Boxee Box brings these to your HDTV -- allowing you to watch them from the comfort of your favorite armchair or couch. A Netflix subscription is required, of course. But at $7.99 a month, it's not much more than the cost of a venti latte.
Although it isn't available yet, Boxee has pledged to add support for Hulu+. Like Netflix, Hulu+ is a premium service -- it will also cost you about eight dollars each month. Hulu+ gives you access to current episodes of many popular TV shows, as well as older shows, movies, and more.
There are currently a slew of downloadable apps to feed Internet video to the device -- including Funny or Die, College Humor, MTV, Digg, MLB.tv, and others. You'll be able to control all aspects of the device using the included remote control. The remote features standard play back controls as well as a built-in QWERTY keyboard -- making it an excellent choice for searching the web for video.
For some folks, Boxee will provide all of the media that they desire -- making it possible to cut out the monthly cable bill. This isn't limited to fans of scripted TV alone -- baseball fans will be delighted to discover that they can purchase a season-long subscription to the Internet video MLB.tv service and watch it all on an HDTV via the Boxee Box!
- Boxee Box at a Glance
- Boxee gets it -- you want Internet freedom on your TV, but you want it to be the stuff you actually want to watch in HD and you want to enjoy it from the comfort of your couch. They have you covered -- introducing the Boxee Box by D-Link: click, follow, watch -- you are now in full command of your TV for the first time. No rules, no contracts.
- Tailored to Your Couch
- The Internet gives you the freedom to watch what you want, and the power to choose what you want to pay for. It's awesome. What's not awesome about the Internet: no big screen, no HD, no home theater experience, no easy interface designed to sift through the mountains of TV shows, movies, and content available online. And the real killer: no remote. If only there was a little box that brought the freedom of the Internet to your HDTV in stunning 1080p, Dolby Surround Sound, and had a slick interface to simplify everything and -- wait for it, a remote to put it all at the tips of your fingers. Too bad nobody has thought of that yet. Oh wait, Boxee did. Haha! Ahem -- The Boxee Box by D-Link, featuring our ingenious two-faced remote. Say goodbye to hunting and pecking for letters on screen, the Boxee Box remote comes with a full QWERTY keypad -- as soon as you start typing Boxee Box's autosearch function starts finding.
- Setup? No Biggie!
- Setting up your Boxee Box is a cinch. Plug your Boxee Box into the wall, connect it to your TV's HDMI input and turn your Boxee Box on. Oh, please turn on your TV too, thanks. Make sure your TV is getting the signal from the correct HDMI input -- if it is, you'll see Boxee smiling at you :). Grab the remote and follow the on-screen instructions -- that's it! The Boxee Box will automatically configure your Internet connection, tune itself to your home entertainment system, and get you up and running in a flash. Already a Boxee user? Schweeet!! The Boxee Box will automatically import your account. No Biggie!!
- See What Your Friends Are Watching
- One of the greatest things about the Boxee Box is that if you can't find something to watch -- you've got your friends to turn to. Stop watching the same stuff over and over -- with the Boxee Box, your friends can see what you've been watching and give fresh recommendations from Facebook, Twitter, and the Boxee network. And it goes both ways -- if it's on Boxee and you like it, you can recommend it to anyone -- TV shows, amateur YouTube videos, movies; with the Boxee Box -- you're pretty much free to be that guy: recommend anything you've ever watched to everyone.
- Try Boxee Now
- Download the Boxee Box's software (aka Boxee) for free, and try it out before you buy. It only takes a minute to register and the download is absolutely free. Already a Boxee user? Awesome! Since its launch, well over one million people have downloaded Boxee onto their computers. When you're ready to shift the Boxee experience from your PC to your HDTV, the Boxee Box by D-Link will automatically import your account -- making your favorite TV shows, movies apps, and shortcuts instantly available. Booyah.
- Unlimited Web-Only Videos and Content -- Your TV Can Haz Internets
- Funny or Die, College Humor, MTV, Digg -- if you can watch it on your computer's web browser you can watch it on the Boxee Box, only better. Boxee's web browser is similar to IE or Safari, but optimized to work with a QWERTY remote and your HDTV, seamlessly. University courses, panel discussions, TED Talks, Current TV, Stanford Online, FORA.tv, whatever -- the Boxee Box delivers all your favorite web-videos and web-only content, no matter how obscure they may be, straight to your TV set. Leave the laptop out of bed at night, and leave the keyboard and mouse on your desk. Get lost in Internetland. It just got easier, and comfortablier.
- Give Your Wallet A Break
- Think about it: your cable bill is probably about $80 or more per month. You get 500 channels -- some are great, most have a ton of commercials, and you only watch a handful of them. The Boxee Box model is simple: Buy the Boxee Box once, and get instant access to all the entertainment the web has to offer, forever. No rules. No contracts. No monthly fees. If you can't find it for free, the Boxee Box connects you with premium options that can, instantly. Man, someone should've started doing this years ago.
- Hulu Plus Coming Soon
- "We are working with Hulu to bring Hulu Plus to the Boxee Box. We are very excited about the opportunity to work together to provide a Hulu experience that is optimized for the TV and the Boxee Box. We think you will love it!" -- The Folks at Boxee
- Netflix Streaming
- You'll be able to use the Boxee Box to stream instant content from Netflix via the Internet. Tens of thousands of movies, TV shows, and documentaries are available -- ensuring that you're never without something to watch. Subscription fees apply.
- Incredible Selection of Movies in Stunning HD
- Get instant access to a huge library of streaming movies from across the Internet. With the Boxee Box, you get Hollywood hits, access to Indies and critically acclaimed films from like MUBI and Openfilm. And you get it all on your HDTV in stunning 1080p and Dolby Surround Sound. Play, pause and rewind anytime with your remote -- just like a DVD. The Boxee Box even arranges your movie collection with cover art, complete with descriptions and user ratings and lets you recommend the movies you love to your friends. Go ahead, invite them over and don't forget the popcorn -- the Internet is on, and it's glorious.
- Less Mystery, More Machine -- TV on Your Terms
- Never be limited by what you can watch and when -- the Boxee Box makes it easy to choose the TV shows you want to watch, and most importantly, the ones you want to pay for. And with over 40,000 TV episodes from your favorite networks instantly available -- that's a lot to choose from. The Office, Family Guy, Entourage, True Blood -- if you can't find it for free, the Boxee Box will connect you with premium options who can, instantly. Get tons of free stuff, and never pay for the stuff you don't want to watch. Easy.
- Say Goodbye to Files and Folders, Say Hello to Boxee
- Not only does the Boxee Box give you access to thousands of TV shows and movies from all over the Internet, it takes your personal video, picture and music files from your hard drive and home network somewhere they've never been -- your HDTV, and makes them easier to sort through than ever. MP3, MP4, .jpeg, .avi, .mkv -- the Boxee Box works with virtually any file type -- if you can create it, the Boxee Box will play and organize it. Automatically download all relevant artwork and info and simplify all your digital stuff with big, colorful thumbnail photos in a TV-friendly interface you can access with a remote. Your friends will be impressed, or jealous. Probably jealous.