The Sony STR-DH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver is a multi-channel receiver with exceptional audio and video processing capabilities, featuring a power rating of 105 watts per channel. It features a total of six high definition inputs including four HDMI and two component inputs so you can hook up all your gear. The front panel offers a USB port so you can hook up your iPod or iPhone and play videos and music, while a front-panel composite video and analog audio connections allow you to conveniently hook up a camcorder or digital camera.
The STR-DH720 offers support for 3D pass through over HDMI (up to 1080p), so if you have 3D content and the required 3D accessories it can deliver realistic three dimensional visuals in high definition. It also features Sony's 24p True Cinema. Since most films were shot and mastered at 24 frames per second (fps), this allows for a more cinema-like picture quality.
This receiver also upscales analog source material up to 1080i video via HDMI with Faroudja DCDi (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) Edge processing. The STR-DH720 employs the same Faroudja Labs upconversion technology that allowed for a smooth transition to HDTV with legacy NTSC material, minimizing the jagginess that conventional upconverters introduce to diagonal edges in video.
This receiver supports an array of Dolby and DTS audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby Pro Logic IIz that are encoded on Blu-ray discs, so you can hear audio as close as possible to the way it was intended to be heard. With support for an Audio Return Channel (ARC), you'll only need one cable for your TV audio. You can control other HDMI devices even when the unit is powered off, and setup is made as easy as possible with Sony Digital Cinema Auto Calibration.
If you have other Sony equipment that has BRAVIA Sync, that means you can control everything with one remote. Support for 3D over HDMI and a host of audio formats along with additional features like analog upscaling and playback from your iPhone or iPod makes this receiver fully capable of managing a high-powered home theater system. Packed into a high gloss black package, the STR-DH720 blends effortlessly into any setup.
- Four HDMI and Two Component Inputs
- The STR-DH720 offers versatile HD connection options with six high definition inputs. Four HDMI inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a PlayStation 3 entertainment system, Blu-ray Disc player, or any 2 other HDMI-capable devices for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- 3D Pass Through via HDMI
- If you have a 3D HDTV or home theater projector, 3D Blu-ray discs and 3D glasses, the STR-DH720 can deliver wraparound visuals that will deliver a truly immersive experience, putting you right into the action of your favorite movies, games, and any other 3D source materials. This receiver supports 3D over HDMI (up to 1080p resolution).
- Faroudja DCDi Edge Upscaling
- The STR-DH720 upscales analog source material up to 1080i video via HDMI with Faroudja DCDi (Directional Correlational Deinterlacing) Edge processing. This eliminates the jagginess that conventional upconverters introduce to diagonal edges in video. DCDi's unique algorithm identifies all the moving edges in a scene and adjusts the angle of interpolation at each pixel so that the interpolation always follows the edge instead of crossing it, eliminating staircasing or jagged edge artifacts.
- 24p True Cinema
- Watch Blu-rayBlu-ray disc movies in their native frame rate (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p HDTV and playback device like a Blu-ray disc player or PlayStation3 gaming console via an HDMI cable.
- HD Digital Cinema Sound
- HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S.) is Sony's proprietary home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process.
- Standby Pass Through of Audio and Video
- This feature allows you to access all of your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver. So even when it's not on, you can take advantage of streamlined control over your devices.
- iPhone, iPod Playback
- The STR-DH720 supports video and music playback from your iPhone and iPod via the convenient front-panel USB port.
- Blu-ray Disc Audio Decoding
- Experience sound closer to the way it was captured with LPCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio processors. This receiver decodes multiple audio formats to allow you to get the most detail from your movie soundtracks.
- Audio Return Channel Support
- Eliminate the need for extra cables connected to your TV. Support for Audio Return Channel (ARC) allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV the STR-DH520 through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV.
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration
- This receiver is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) technology which allows you to perform automatic calibration. This is designed to achieve proper sound balance for your room by measuring the distance of each speaker from the seating position, speaker size, and frequency characteristics.
- BRAVIA Sync Capable
- Conveniently operate and control other Sony BRAVIA Sync devices with one remote including Sony Blu-ray Disc Players, BRAVIA HDTVs, Sony home theater products, Handycam Camcorders and Cyber-shot Digital Cameras.
- In addition to its audio and video processing, this receiver offers an on-screen graphic user interface (GUI), advanced auto volume and BRAVIA widget unified TV on-screen interface.