The 2-Bay ShareCenter Network Storage Enclosure for Media Streaming from D-Link is a network storage enclosure that can house two 3.5" SATA hard drives. It connects to your network via a Gigabit Ethernet port, and is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux client operating systems.
A built-in RAID controller allows you to configure the drive as a RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD. RAID 0 and RAID 1 require you to install two hard drives of equal storage capacity. RAID 0 stripes the two drives together, writing half of the data to one disk and the other half to the second -- greatly improving performance. If either disk fails, all data is lost.
RAID 1 mirrors data to both disks, creating a real-time copy of all of your files. If either disk fails, none of your data will be lost -- you simply need to replace the bad drive and the backup will be recreated. JBOD simply concatenates both disks as one volume, offering no performance or data protection benefits -- but giving you the flexibility of installing disks of different capacities in the enclosure.
The enclosure features a number of enhanced network functionality that go above and beyond the capabilities of standard storage devices. A built-in UPnP AV server allows you to stream data to DLNA-certified devices -- including the Boxee Box. You can adjust security on the user level or group level, and add-on applications are available. The enclosure also supports network data backup, Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file downloading, FTP and web access, and more!
- RAID 1 Technology
- RAID 1 is like a backup for your backup. It causes the drives in your storage device to mirror each other, so if one drive fails the unaffected drive will continue to function until the failed one is replaced.
- USB Print Server Port
- This storage device can also serve as a USB print server, allowing you to share a single USB printer over your network. The USB port can also support a Universal Power Supply (UPS) monitor that supports "smart" signaling over a USB connection. If a power outage were to occur, the compatible UPS monitor would allow the UPS unit to safely shut down the ShareCenter.
- DLNA Server
- This ShareCenter device has a built-in media server that can stream your photos, music and videos to all of the computers in your home and to compatible media players like Boxee Box, Xbox and PlayStation 3 so you can enjoy it all on your TV.
- Web File and FTP Server
- For flexible usage, the DNS-325 includes features such as a built-in FTP server to access files over the Internet.
- Cooling Fan
- There's no overheating in this device's future. It comes with a quiet, built-in cooling fan that only comes on when needed, saving you power and money.
- 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Port
- The 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet port gives you blazing fast speeds so you can back up and access your data without the wait.
- Backup Software
- The included feature-rich backup software allows you to create schedules and rules including full or incremental backups.
- D-Link Easy Search Utility
- The D-Link Easy Search Utility allows you to locate your ShareCenter from anywhere on the network and map your network drive so it will conveniently appear in "My Computer" on your PC.
- Mac Friendly
Not to worry, Mac users! ShareCenter can back up your data regardless of your computer's operating system -- whether it be Windows, Mac or Linux.
- AFP (MAC)
- Time Machine (MAC)
- NFS (Linux)
- Easy Setup
- Not quite the handyman? That's OK. You can insert an additional hard drive without using any tools or attaching any cables.
- AjaXplorer is a file explorer that allows you to remotely manage your files using a web browser. Stay protected -- anywhere, anytime.
- D-Link Green
- This product allows hard drives to enter sleep mode when not in use to conserve electricity and prolong the life of the hard disk. Plus, it uses recyclable packaging and complies with the European Union's RoHS directive.
- Photo Center
- Are you tired of sending individual photos through e-mail? The ShareCenter Photo Center app provides a convenient interface from which you can create and share photo albums with friends and family easily over the web.
- Audio Streamer
- Stream music throughout your home. The Audio Streamer allows you to transmit multiple streams of audio to any device with an Internet connection, whether it be your computer, TV or tablet.
- Logitech Squeeze Center
- Connect your Logitech Media Squeezebox player to your ShareCenter and play endless hours of music files stored on your device.
- Create and host your own customized blog from your ShareCenter device. Access and comment on it from anywhere you have an Internet connection.