Modeled after business-class radios, the Midland GXT5000 Waterproof 22-Channel FRS-GMRS Two-Way Radio with bundled li-ion battery and charger is designed from the inside out for serious applications. FRS channels are usable at 0.5W of output power and GMRS channels operate at 5.0W. A Dual Watch function enables simultaneous monitoring of 2 channels for activity, while 5 VOX level settings allow for hands-free, voice-activated communications. Benefit from up to 12 hr of talk time on high power and 19 hr on low.
With 38 CTCSS / 83 DCS privacy codes, you have 2662 possible channel/code combinations for eliminating unwanted interference from other transmissions. The GXT5000 offers a wireless range of up to 36 miles, though we all know this is only achievable under ideal conditions and the actual range will most often be shorter. In emergency situations, an SOS siren lets you send distress/locator signals, which are especially vital in places where cell phones won't operate.
Additionally, the radio is equipped with a bright backlit LCD monitor for easy settings selection and menu navigation. It's also configured with convenient mic and headphone jacks. The durable cast aluminum frame is constructed to meet MIL-STD-810 F specifications, so the GXT5000 can take bumps and knocks in stride and survive submersion in water.
- Channels and Codes
- Has 22 selectable GMRS/FRS channels.
- Channel scan feature automatically checks channels/codes for activity, ensuring that you're on an open channel for clear communication.
- A dual watch function lets you monitor 2 channels/codes: current one in use and an additional one that you select on menu.
- 38 CTCSS and 83 DCS privacy codes give you 2662 possible channel/code combinations to help block other conversations.
- FRS channels are usable at 0.5W of output power and GMRS channels operate at 5.0W.
- High and low settings let you adjust transmit power to conserve battery life.
- Get up to 12 hr of talk time on high power and 19 hr on low.
- Wireless range of up to 36 miles with fully-charged battery under optimal conditions. Since FRS channels are restricted by FCC to low power, you'll need to be on GMRS channel to achieve max range.
- Call alert function has 5 different tones to notify you of incoming call from within your group. GXT5000 radio does not support Vibrate Alert function of other Midland GMRS/FRS radios.
- When out-of-range alert function is on, radio will automatically transmit an out-of-range code every 3 min if connection is lost. If another radio within usable range receives tone, it will automatically reply by sending confirmation code to transmitting radio.
- Operates on included 2200mAh lithium-ion battery pack and can be recharged using included drop-in charger with AC adapter, which can power separate li-ion battery pack at same time.
- Use and Handling
- To facilitate hands-free use, unit provides mic and headphone jacks and 5 VOX level settings for voice-activated communications. VOX will be more sensitive on #1 setting than on #5 setting.
- Bright backlit LCD monitor for use during day or night.
- Radio will not be waterproof when accessory jack cover is removed.
- You can turn on audible tones for each keystroke, or choose silent operation mode to silence all tones.
- Keypad is lockable to keep selected settings.
- Transmit (TX) and Receive (RX) LED indicators show up in red and green, respectively. Orange LED indicates radio is receiving correct channel but wrong privacy code.
- "Roger" beep indicates end of transmission and can be turned on or off.
- Timeout timer limits continuous transmission to your choice of 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 sec. Radio will automatically stop transmitting once time runs out, and will switch to standby or receive mode until you release PTT button and press it again to resume transmission.
- SOS siren lets you send distress/locator signals in emergency situations.
- 180° swivel holster, belt clip, and zippered storage case supplied.
- Construction Details
- IP67 rated for dustproofing and waterproofing, meaning it's submersible to 3.3' for up to 30 min.
- Built to survive bumps and knocks.
- Durable cast aluminum frame constructed to MIL-STD-810 F military spec, meaning it can withstand the following conditions:
a. Operating temperature: -22 to 140°F for exposure time of at least 2.0 hr.
b. Temperature shock: Changes in temperature at 5.4°F / 3.0°C per min for up to 5.0 min at a time
c. Solar radiation: Maximum intensity of 1120 W/m2
d. Salt fog: 5 +/- 1% salt solution at volume of 1-3 ml/80 cm2 per hr for 48 hr exposure and 48 hr drying time
e. Vibration: Various levels and duration of vibration in three axes, with up to 3G transitions, for total of 4.0 hr
f. Shock (functional): 3 pulses per direction @ 40 g impact acceleration for 11 ms duration. Six directions total for 18 pulses over 4 hr