Sony's HVL-F20S External Flash for NEX Still Cameras is a lightweight, easy-to-use flash that has double the range of the NEX built-in flash. With Indoor/Outdoor settings and accurate, automatic TTL (Through The Lens) exposure when used with your NEX 3, 5, or 5N camera, you can get soft bounce lighting indoors and accurate fill-flash outdoors. A built-in diffuser helps light wide-angle photos, and a Tele setting extends the flash range for subjects further away.
Note: This flash features a proprietary flash connection that is compatible with NEX-3-series and NEX-5-series cameras. It also uses the camera's battery as its power source.
- Extends Flash Range Beyond Camera's Included Flash
- Though compact and lightweight, the HVL-F20S flash has a maximum range twice that of the included flash units of the NEX-3, NEX-5, and NEX-C3 cameras. This is represented as the guide number (GN) of 20 with a 50mm focal distance.
- Easy Intuitive Operation
- Unlike most external flash units, the HVL-F20S has no dedicated ON/OFF switch. Instead, power is automatically switched on simply by raising the flash unit into the shooting position. In addition, a switch on the side of the unit offers Indoor and Outdoor settings, making it easy to obtain flash illumination that suits the shooting situation. A charging lamp indicates when the flash is ready to fire.
- Bounce Flash Enables Shadowless Indirect Lighting
- When set to Indoor shooting mode, the flash points up to bounce light off the ceiling for shadowless illumination of your subject. When set to the Outdoor shooting mode, the flash directs light directly at your subject.
- Built-In Diffuser for Wide and Telephoto Shooting
- With the built-in diffuser, the flash illumination covers a wider angle of view or if users want to shoot at a greater distance, they can rotate the dial on the side of the flash unit to the Tele Position. While the Tele setting reduces the width of flash coverage, it extends the range to illuminate more distant subjects.
- ADI Flash Metering System
- The ADI (Advanced Distance Integration) flash metering system offers the optimum flash metering and automatic white-balance compensation regardless of the background conditions or the subject's reflectance. ADI flash metering works in combination with α NEX cameras and lenses that incorporate a distance encoder. When used with these lenses, the camera calculates a guide number to control TTL (through the lens) flash metering. This guide number is calculated according to distance from the subject, ambient light and pre-flash reflectivity of the subject and the background.