The Sony PHU-220R 220 GB Professional Hard Disk Unit docks to XDCAM EX camcorders to supply either backup recording or additional capacity for unexpected situations that leave you lacking empty SxS cards. At 220 GB capacity, the PHU-200R recorder is able to hold approximately 12 hours of material in the highest-quality XDCAM EX mode for HD recording (that is, HQ mode at 35 Mb/s).
Attach the PHU-220R to a card slot of the PMW-EX1R, PMW-320/350/500, PMW-F3, PMW-EX1, or PMW-EX3 camcorder, or a later XDCAM EX model. The device is also compatible with the PMW-EX30 deck. The recorder features a USB 2.0 interface and includes a connection cable to accommodate the SxS slot's ExpressCard interface, enabling stable data transfer.
Using a BP-U30 battery (sold separately), you can achieve a continuous recording operation time of 12 hours, matching the storage capacity of the unit for HQ mode. This way you can use your camera as a secondary, "hands-free" unit mounted on a tripod, to capture long events such as conferences, sporting events, legal depositions, and more. Let the PHU-220R keep recording while you attend to shooting tasks that require more of your attention.
The PHU-220R can also function as a card offloader. Because XDCAM EX camcorders allow you to record the contents from one SxS card slot to the other, you can record the contents of up to seven 32 GB cards to this recorder, forming the basis for an excellent data-backup workflow that requires no computer.
With the PHU-220R you can enjoy the excellent cost-per-gigabyte ratio of recording to spinning hard disk without compromising on performance. The recorder offers several features that keep the unit recording even under adverse conditions such as low temperatures, vibration, and even camera drops.
Note: Battery not included. The XDCAM EX camcorders PMW-EX1R, PMW-320/350/500 (FAT mode only), and PMW-F3 or later are compatible with either single-partition or three-partition mode. The PMW-EX1 and PMW-EX3 camcorders and PMW-EX30 deck are compatible only with the three-partition (73 GB x 3) mode.
- Cybercapture Technology
- In the event of vibration or shock, or the unit is operated in a low-temperature environment, Cybercapture technology enables the hard disk drive to optimize the read/write process of A/V data by maintaining a constant data transfer to the HDD, resulting in fewer dropped frames. The transfer rate of the outer tracks of the hard disk is twice that of inner tracks. Cybercapture technology uses inner and outer tracks equally during recording to sustain the data transfer rate
- The HDD-protection mechanism in the PHU-220R can absorb shock to help protect the HDD from falls up to 4.9' (1.5 m) high
- Fall / Rollover Sensing
- When the 3-axis acceleration sensor "3G sensor" inside detects an acceleration change, the PHU-220R will park the heads of the HDD for data protection
- Shock-Proof Memory
- Even when the heads are parked, recording will continue in a shock-proof memory for up to 9 seconds
- DRIVE and MODE SELECT Switches
- Record to the drive using either one partition or three partitions. The XDCAM EX camcorders PMW-EX1R, PMW-320/350/500, and PMW-F3, or later are compatible with either mode. The PMW-EX1, PMW-EX3, and PMW-EX30 are compatible only with the three-partition (73 GB x 3) mode