Norton Internet Security 2012 from Symantec is a comprehensive virus protection suite, offering essential protection for up to three of your household's Windows computer systems. Norton protects your system from all of the Internet's more unsavory elements: viruses, spyware, worms, phishing, spam, identity theft, and more. Beyond protection, this software is also designed to run efficiently without taxing your computer system's resources. The point of which is to allow you to smoothly play games, watch movies, work in Word, or do whatever else on your computer.
To keep your computer fresh, clean, and protected, Norton employs a variety of safeguards. It scans all downloads, files and applications before you use them. It scans your emails and Instant Messages. It guards security holes in your operating system and browser so you aren't exposed to viruses, malicious software, or hackers in this way. To further protect against hackers, it deploys a two-way firewall. To protect against Internet phishing, it will prevent you from visiting fraudulent websites. To protect against spam, Norton's Antispam filter will block unwanted emails. To prevent keylogger programs from stealing your password, Social Security number, and other sensitive personal data, the Norton Identity Safe function will automatically fill-in form information. Norton's Safe Web function will identify unsafe websites that pop up in search results, so you can avoid them. The built-in parental controls allow you to see what your kids do online so that you can prevent them from visiting unsafe sites, if necessary.
Because the variety of threats from the Internet are constantly evolving and changing, the software features the Norton Insight Network function, which draws upon Symantec's global security network for obtaining new information. Also, the Norton Pulse Updates allow frequent, small updates of Norton Internet Security 2012's threat database, so it can identify the latest threats. As you operate on your computer, the Sonar 4 technology monitors it for suspicious activity.
Designed not to tax your computer system, the mentioned Norton Insight function will scan only at-risk files. The Smart Scheduler feature will only scan your PC when it's idle. The software will automatically go to Silent Mode when you are playing games or watching movies, so that any alerts, updates, or scans are delayed until you're finished. And if you are running a laptop and want to conserve battery power, you can configure Norton to run more power-demanding activities when your computer is plugged in.
While you use your computer, this software will provide you with notifications about threats and will inform you if any programs or processes are simply slowing down your computer. If you spend a lot of time online, reading emails, downloading files, shopping and banking, you need a comprehensive security package that will protect you against a variety of threats without impacting the performance of your PC. Don't mess around. Consider Norton Internet Security 2012.
Email, Chat and Surf the Web without Worry
- Norton Reputation Service instantly checks where files came from and how long they've been around to identify and stop new crimeware faster than other, less sophisticated security software
- Norton Protection System uses several overlapping layers of protection that work together to stop viruses, spyware and other online attacks
- Norton Download Insight warns you if a downloaded file or application is dangerous before you install or run it on your PC
- Norton File Insight gives you detailed information about the files found on your PC including where the file came from (the website URL) and if it can be trusted
- Norton Pulse Updates run in the background and provide mini updates every 5 to 15 minutes - more frequently than the nearest competitor - for the latest protection against online threats
- SONAR 4 Behavioral Protection monitors your PC for suspicious behavior to quickly detect new online threats
- Email and instant message monitoring scans emails and IMs for suspicious links and potentially dangerous attachments
- Smart two-way firewall prevents hackers from accessing your PC and stealing your personal information
- Network mapping and monitoring shows you all the devices connected to your home network so you can easily spot uninvited guests using your wireless Internet connection and/or eavesdropping on you when you go online
- Norton Bootable Recovery Tool creates an emergency CD/DVD/USB that gets you back up and running even if your PC has become so infected that it won't even start up
- Vulnerability protection prevents cybercriminals from using security holes in applications to sneak viruses or spyware on to your PC
- Professional-strength spam blocking keeps your mailbox free of unwanted, dangerous and fraudulent emails
- Bot detection finds and blocks the automated programs cybercriminals use to take control of your PC to access your private information and send out spam to launch attacks on other PCs
- Worm protection safeguards your PC against fast-spreading Internet worms and prevents you from accidentally passing them on to others
- Rootkit detection finds and removes deeply buried crimeware that can hide other types of threats and allow cybercriminals to take control of your PC
Shop, Bank and Visit Social Networks with Confidence
- Norton Safe Web warns you of unsafe and scam websites right in your search results and automatically blocks them
- Anti-phishing technology blocks fraudulent websites created by cybercriminals to steal your identity and your money
- Norton Identity Safe lets you log in to sites with one click and automatically fills in web forms to prevent cybercriminals from stealing your information as you type
- Norton Safe Web (Social Media Scanner) protects you and your Facebook friends from dangerous websites, cybercriminals and other online threats
- Norton Identity Safe On-the-Go lets you maintain your most recent log-ins and passwords on a USB device so you can access them on any Norton Internet Security 2010, Norton Internet Security 2011, Norton Internet Security 2012 or Norton 360 Version 5.0 protected PC with a USB drive
Stay Protected without Sacrificing Performance
- Proactive performance alerts tell you when an application is slowing down your PC, so you can make changes to improve performance
- Norton Insight identifies and scans only files at risk for fewer, shorter scans and the fastest scan speeds in the industry
- Norton System Insight shows you how files and applications affect system performance to help you keep your PC performing its best
- Silent mode puts alerts and non-critical updates on hold when you're watching movies or playing games in full-screen on your PC
- Smart scheduler runs scans and updates only when you're not using your PC
Get the Most Out of Your Protection with Easy-to-Use Features
- Parental control management lets you keep a watchful eye on your kids' online activities so you can keep them safe from online dangers.
- Free 24 x 7 Support lets you get help and answers by phone, email, live chat, or online whenever you need it
- Norton Control Center organizes program controls and settings, and gives you one-click access to web-based Norton services on one easy-to-read screen
- Norton Ongoing Protection automatically downloads software updates and new features as they become available during your subscription period without interrupting you or slowing down your PC
- Monthly report tells you what Norton Internet Security has done in the previous month to keep you safe from threats
- Power saver settings maximize your laptop's battery life by putting off non-critical activities until your computer is plugged in