Experience the thrills of your favorite movies in high definition with the Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray Disc Smart Player. Simply pop in a Blu-ray or DVD and sit back to enjoy the show on your HDTV. The Blu-ray format offers some of the most stunning imagery available and can hold up to five times as much as standard DVDs, and the BDP-S185 supports all the clarity and detail these discs have to offer. This player even upscales DVDs to near-HD quality, so you might even forget which of your discs are Blu-rays.
Of course, what was Jurassic Park without the heart-thumping sound effects of the dinosaurs or the clashing of swords in Kill Bill? Every good movie needs stellar sound to make it come alive, and the BDP-S185 supports high definition audio -- so if you have a 7.1 channel A/V receiver you're in luck. It has internal decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio and High Resolution Audio, and these are found on many DVDs and Blu-ray discs. So when you connect the player to your receiver, you'll be able to enjoy realistic surround sound for your favorite movies.
If you already have a home Internet connection, you can connect the BDP-S185 to the network for even more options. It has a convenient Ethernet port that allows for a wired connection. Since many Blu-ray discs come with additional bonus content like filmmaker chats or quizzes, you'll be able to go online and access these (you'll need a USB device with at least 1 GB of memory to store the content). This disc player also supports BONUSVIEW for picture-in-picture content, so you can watch commentaries in a smaller window while your movie is playing.
But the BDP-S185 is more than just a Blu-ray player -- by streaming additional content it becomes a virtual hub for your home entertainment center. It can fill your living room with drama, romance, comedy, and much more. You can create personalized digital radio stations with Pandora, upload your own videos to YouTube or watch shared videos from other users. If you have a Netflix subscription, you're in luck -- you'll be able to peruse their database of movies and TV series and watch them instantly using your subscription-based account. The player also supports Hulu and HuluPlus, just in case these aren't enough for you.
Since this disc player features upscaling and I/P noise reduction, you can experience better image quality from Internet videos. Another cool feature is the "Socialize" function -- if while enjoying all of these streaming options you find something you want to share, no problem! You can post it to popular social media sites for everyone to see.
The BDP-S185 also has a front-panel USB port, so you can connect a USB memory device with stored photos, songs, or video files and watch them on the big screen. If you have another BRAVIA Sync-enabled device, you can even control them all with just one remote. And if you have young kids, you can set a password to restrict playback of DVDs, Blu-ray discs and Internet videos (you can even set a different level for each source). And last but not least, this disc player can save you money in the long run -- it's Energy Star compliant and takes just 10 watts of power to operate.
- Blu-ray Disc Full HD 1080p Playback
- Enjoy your collection of Blu-ray disc movies in stunning high definition resolution or upscale the quality of your DVDs to near-HD quality
- Online Connectivity via LAN
- Connect the BDP-S185 to your existing network using the LAN terminal on the player. This gives you access to streaming services and bonus content to enhance your entertainment experience
- Internet Video Streaming
- A plethora of online movies, videos, TV shows and music are right at your fingertips -- you can instantly stream content from both paid and free services like Netflix, YouTube, HuluPlus, Pandora and more
- BD Live Bonus Content
- After the player is connected to the Internet, you can download additional scenes, shorts, trailers, and join in multi-player interactive games that are linked to BD Live bonus content contained in Blu-ray discs. Simply connect a USB memory device (1 GB or larger) to the front-panel USB port and you're good to go
- I/P Noise Reduction
- Improve the picture quality of Internet entertainment and enjoy crisp, clear images on your HDTV thanks to the unit's interlaced-to-progressive noise reduction
- Dolby and DTS-HD Audio Support
- If you have a 7.1 channel A/V receiver, get ready to experience stellar sound. This disc player is able to internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (Master Audio and High Resolution Audio) or output bitstream via HDMI. These lossless codecs reproduce high definition sound with 7.1 channels of discrete audio so you can enjoy uncompromised sound for your movies
- BONUSVIEW Picture-in-Picture
- The BONUSVIEW feature allows you to view additional content (such as commentaries) in small screen window while the movie is playing
- Front Panel USB Input
- Share your videos or photos on the big screen or listen to your favorite music. Simply connect your digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or USB storage device
- Ready, Set... Socialize!
- The Socialize feature lets you post a message to leading social media sites -- so you can share information about the Internet videos and music that you're enjoying on the Blu-ray disc player
- Parental Control of Playback
- If you have youngsters, you'll appreciate the Parental Control function -- playback of BD-ROM discs, DVD video, and Internet videos can be limited according to the age of users.
- Energy Star Compliant
- The BDP-S185 meets Energy Star 2.0 standards. It uses just 10 watts of power when in use to conserve resources and save you money on your energy bills
- BRAVIA Sync
- Conveniently operate and control other BRAVIA Sync compatible devices -- including BRAVIA HDTVs, Blu-ray disc players, surround sound systems, Handycam camcorders and Cyber-shot digital still cameras, all with one remote control when connected via HDMI