The LX80 8"/203mm Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope Kit from Meade is an opportunity for luxurious visual star gazing without having to take out a second mortgage. This fast f/10 bundles an optically exceptional Optical Tube Assembly (OTA) with an incredibly versatile multi-mount, a rock-solid tripod, planetarium-like computer software control and GoTo with edifying audio mini-lectures to be shared with friends and relatives alike.
Ultra-High Transmission Coatings and waterwhite glass combine with an aperture of 8"/203mm and a focal length of 2034mm to offer the maximum in transmission, brightness and contrast. The included AudioStar computer-control handbox system accesses a database of over 30,000 celestial GoTo pieces of eye-candy. The Astronomer Inside digital audio technology presents an audio description of 500 of those sky objects. Meade's AutoStar Suite Planetarium Software for PCs is part of the package offering computer controlled night sky seeing.
The LX80 Multi-Mount offers the user the choice of leveraging the multi-mount as a German Equatorial Mount (GEM) or as an alt-azimuth mount. The Multi-Mount has been constructed of die cast aluminum with ABS panels. The precision craftsmanship of the LX80 Multi-Mount creates exceptionally fine, smooth and precise manual, hand-held control and computer adjustment controls for both declination and right ascension. The mount interfaces with the AudioStar GoTo system. It requires 8 AA batteries or can be powered with a 12v DC 5amp power supply. The power sources are user-supplied. The mount can be configured for dual OTA mounting or with the included counterweight.
The large adjustable height tripod offers a stable platform for the OTA and mount. The legs are a robust 2 inches in diameter and collapse to 30.5 inches. Fully extended, the tripod height reaches 47 inches and weighs 31.5 pounds. Each leg has its own fine adjustment leg leveler for increased pointing accuracy.
The LX80 8"/203mm Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope Kit comes with a Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl Eyepiece (1.25"), a diagonal prism and a 8x50 viewfinder with a cross-hair reticle.
- Control panel delivers options for 12v DC, Power, HBX port, 2 auxiliary ports
- Die-cast aluminum, Vixen-style dovetail OTA mounting furnishes a secure mount-to-telescope interface. Aluminum optical tube
- AudioStar hand controller with Astronomer Inside technology provides a guided tour of 500-plus celestial objects with synchronized tracking and audio explanations
- A sectional counterweight shaft determines the ideal shaft length for counterbalancing a scope with the included counterweight or creating a dual-tube configuration with the addition of a second optical device
- Adjustable height tripod of 30.5 to 40" has stainless steel 2" diameter legs with fine +0.2" adjustment leg-levelers on each leg dispensing an incredibly level and stable platform. One 11 lb steel counterweight is included
- Series 4000 Super Plössl 25mm Eyepiece, 1.25", from Meade offers a 52° apparent field of view and premium grade optical glass with multi-layer coatings and blackened lens edges for great image sharpness and contrast with 18mm of eye relief
- Primary and secondary mirrors have been configured concurrently for maximum correction. Both are made of low-expansion borosilicate glass. The correcting plate/lens is made from aspheric high-spectral transmission Borofloat glass from Schott AG Germany. Resolving Power - Dawes Limit: 0.57 arc seconds. Secondary Obstruction: 13.65%.
The LX80 Multi-Mount weighs 35 lb / 15.9 kg and has dimensions of 14 x 12 x 8" / 35.6 x 30.5 x 20.3 cm.
The Tripod is 31.5 lb / 14.3 kg and has a variable height of 30.5 to 47" / 77.5 - 119.4 cm
- The LX80 Multi-Mount allows user selected German Equatorial, single OTA alt-az or dual OTA alt-az movement. Meade's proprietary SmartDrive provides periodic error correction. The mount itself is provisioned with two large, tapered roller bearings that support optical equipment up to 40 pounds in the GEM and single OTA alt-az modes and up to 70 pounds in dual single OTA alt-az. The pointing precision in High-Precision Mode is up to 5 arc minutes while the GoTo pointing precision is approximately 10 arc minutes. There is a periodic error correction while in polar mode only. The mount offers slew speeds in both RA and Dec of 1x, 2x, 8x, 16x, 64x, 128x sidereal and 1.5°/sec, 3°/sec and 6.5°/sec. Sidereal, lunar or custom selected tracking rates are available from 2,000 incremental rates. The latitude range in equatorial mode is 25° to 90°.