The PowerShot ELPH 520 HS Digital Camera from Canon is a 10.1MP digital point-and-shoot camera with a long 12x zoom, and the 35mm equivalent of a 28-336mm telephoto zoom lens. The camera utilizes several types of image stabilization, which is also used during the 720p HD video recording, and features dozens of helpful shooting modes.
With its 10.1 megapixel image sensor the ELPH 520 HS captures images at a maximum 3648 x 2736 resolution, and videos in 720p. This gives you the ability to enlarge or crop a section of your image for printing or sharing online. The Intelligent IS image stabilization system ensures those photos and videos are as sharp as possible and not blurred due to low lighting, camera shake, or a fast-moving subject. It will analyze the scene, and subjects within it, to determine the best stabilization technique to employ for any given shot.
View your images on the 3.0" PureColor LCD display that can help you compose before you shoot and review them afterward - even in bright sunlight. You may also notice it has better color representation and a truer view of the images you capture.
With advanced technologies like Smart Shutter, Face ID and Tracking AF it'll be easier to capture the photos you want without even pressing a button. Smart Shutter allows you to capture photos by simply walking into view of the camera - taking a photo when it recognizes your face. Simply use the Face Detection feature to register your face, and up to 12 others. For more accurate photos you can also use the Tracking AF function that will track your chosen target, keeping them in focus no matter where they move within the frame.
- 10.1MP 1/2.3" CMOS Sensor
- The camera's 10.1 megapixel resolution imaging sensor keeps your images clear even out to the long end of the optical zoom. Having a high-sensitivity 1/2.3" CMOS sensor makes it easier to shoot in low-light, and also provides the ability to crop sections of an image, in order to alter the composition after it was captured.
- 28-336mm Equivalent UA Lens with 12x Optical Zoom
- The 28-336mm telephoto lens has a 12x optical zoom, and uses UA glass elements for greater image quality. Being a UA lens means it has an ultra-high refractive index, and uses molded glass and aspherical lens elements to reduce aberrations in your images.
- 3.0" PureColor LCD Display
- The ELPH 520 HS has a bright 3.0" rear LCD display that allows for more information to be displayed while shooting, and clearer display of your images after shooting. It also features Night Display for easy viewing in low light. Canon's PureColor System uses a delta arrangement of dots for better clarity and representation of the images you took, while also making the LCD more durable and able to withstand heavy use in all sorts of conditions.
- DIGIC 5 Image Processor
- This PowerShot camera houses Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor to power its advanced systems and features. This ensures fast and reliable performance without sacrificing battery life. Features such as high-speed continuous shooting, Full HD video capture and Blink Detection are all made possible thanks to its fast processing speed and efficient design.
- Canon HS System
- With the HS System, low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlights and shadows. This system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity image sensor to capture more light, and a DIGIC Image Processor to reduce noise and processing time. The CMOS sensor incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity, while the DIGIC Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable ISO range beyond other PowerShots previously released.
- Intelligent IS Stabilization System
- Going beyond Canon's Optical Image Stabilization technology in the lens, Intelligent IS detects and implements the most appropriate camera shake correction methods for any given shooting situation. When shooting still photographs the system automatically selects between Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod image stabilization modes. During HD video capture it automatically chooses among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. Using Intelligent IS you can concentrate on your images and let the camera worry about the most effective IS settings, giving you clearer photos and videos as a result.
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording with Stereo Sound
- Shoot Full HD 1080p video right from the ELPH 520 HS digital camera. This PowerShot even comes with the ability to record Linear PCM two-channel stereo sound, so you'll capture voices and ambient sounds in natural stereo. No longer limited to still images, with a simple push of the dedicated movie button you quickly switch to HD video mode without entering menus or changing settings.
- High Sensitivity 100 - 3200 ISO
- With a wide range of sensitivities, from 100 to 3200, the ELPH 520 can shoot in a variety of lighting situations in either bright sunlight or dim low light, and anywhere in between.
- Smart AUTO Scenes and Selections
- This digital camera features Smart AUTO: a Canon technology that simplifies the process of capturing images. It will automatically analyze scenes by assessing various factors involving both the subject and background. These scenes are compared using dozens of predefined shooting parameters and the camera makes the optimal adjustments for you. Smart AUTO also incorporates Advanced Subject Detection, which allows the camera to detect and track non-human subjects like animals and vehicles.
- Face ID, Blink- and Motion-Detection
- Face ID gives you an easy way to improve every shot of the people you photograph often. Photograph up to 12 faces you would like the camera to remember, then enter their names and ages. Once a person is registered, the camera will pick them out of a group (even against a busy background) and adjust focus and exposure to their face - even when shot to the side in profile, or in a crowd. It will even take three images in succession once a smile is detected to ensure you get the best one. Blink, Motion and Subject Detection also works for those you haven't registered but merely want to photograph.
- High-Speed Burst Mode
- With High-Speed Burst Mode, you'll capture images at 6.8 fps, ensuring you don't miss a moment. This high speed mode catches the action as it happens, and you can go back to review and choose the best frames later on.
- Movie Digest
- When activated, Movie Digest automatically records four seconds before each photo you capture as a separate video, then automatically edits them together into a short movie. The video is captured in 720p high definition, and with the bundled ImageBrowser EX software, you can easily delete any scenes you don't want.
- Face Detection and Smart Shutter
- With Face Detection and Smart Shutter the camera will automatically detect the faces in a given frame and choose the proper focus, exposure, flash and white balance for any given scene. Smart Shutter will add convenience and fun to Face Detection because you can set the camera to shoot when someone is detected winking, smiling, or just entering the frame - no more running from behind the camera during the 10 second timer. Simply set it to shoot when you enter the photo and smile.
- Best Image Selection
- Make getting great results even easier almost every time you take a picture with Best Image Selection. When you press the shutter release the camera will quickly shoot a series of five images and analyze them for any unwanted facial movements and camera shake. Out of the five taken, the camera will select and save the best one for you.