The Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle 2 SSD Video Recorder records uncompressed 10-bit HD and SD video as QuickTime files from any SDI- or HDMI-enabled camcorder. This updated version of the original HyperDeck Shuttle also records Avid's DNxHD 220x 10-bit codec. The extremely compact recorder accepts a 2.5" SATA solid state drive (sold separately) for data storage. Simply by bypassing the camera's compression, this allows you to get the highest-quality output possible from camcorders that typically record video as highly compressed HDV, AVCHD, or another similar codec.
With its uncompressed recording capability, HyperDeck Shuttle 2 shines on those projects for which even high-bit-rate ProRes and DNxHD codecs are too compressed for your needs. Perhaps you're shooting against a green screen and you'll need to be able to pull the cleanest key possible in post, or you're capturing background plates for special effects. Whatever the application, capturing to a supremely portable device with interchangeable media (which, with each succeeding generation, will grow in capacity as prices drop) is about the most elegant solution imaginable for recording uncompressed 4:2:2 HD video.
Sometimes, however, capacity is an issue, and HyperDeck Shuttle 2 offers the option of recording high-bit-rate compressed files. For Avid users, it doesn't get much more convenient than capturing 10-bit video as the extremely high-quality DNxHD 220x codec. Ready for the Media Composer timeline immediately, the MXF file type is available for 1080i59.94, 1080p29.97, and 720p59.94 formats.
The device features HDMI and SDI outputs for local playback from the device to an appropriate monitor on-set or in a screening room. HyperDeck Shuttle 2 features both a rechargeable internal Li-ion battery and a 12V DC power input that allows you to plug the device into a wall socket for continuous power.
Note! The HDMI output from DSLR cameras such as the Canon 5D/7D and Panasonic GH2 is intended for monitoring only, not for recording. 2.5" SATA SSD drives are sold separately. Off-the-shelf SSDs can be used as long as they are fast enough for uncompressed 10-bit capture (158 megabytes/second is required for 10-bit uncompressed 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 fps).
- Tiny Uncompressed Video Recorder
- HyperDeck Shuttle 2 dramatically improves the quality of video cameras and is the perfect portable field recorder for live production switchers. It's also the ultimate solution for digital signage. HyperDeck Shuttle gives you the quality and flexibility of compressed DNxHD and uncompressed recording direct to common low-cost SSDs in the smallest possible size. HyperDeck Shuttle is compact, affordable, and battery powered, so it's perfect as a field recorder. HyperDeck Shuttle bypasses your camera's compression and records from SDI and HDMI directly to the highest-quality video possible. SSDs are cheap and fast, so you can edit directly from the SSD media itself. SSDs eliminate time-wasting file copying
- Compressed or Uncompressed
- Now you have the freedom to work in both compressed and uncompressed video depending on the needs of your project. Uncompressed video produces the highest-quality, mathematically perfect results and is ideal when recording video for color correction, chroma keying, and high-end VFX work. When you need longer recording duration or you're working with lots of video material, HyperDeck Shuttle 2 can be instantly changed over to use DNxHD MXF-compressed video files. The popular Avid DNxHD is a SMPTE standard codec that's used by thousands of broadcast and post-production facilities worldwide, as it maintains extremely high 10-bit video quality with the advantage of smaller file sizes
- Go Anywhere, Record Everywhere
- With a compact and incredibly sturdy design, HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is machined out of a solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum. That means you get a design with the strength to go anywhere. Take your HyperDeck Shuttle into the field, on set, to live events, or even on your extreme sport shoots. With an internal battery, just recharge and go. The possibilities are virtually endless. There's no need to haul around a computer, because the lightweight HyperDeck Shuttle 2 does it all – and yet fits easily in your backpack. You can even add HyperDeck Shuttle 2 to your tripod along with your camera
- Solid State Disk (SSD) Technology
- The 2.5" solid state drive (SSD) slot in the HyperDeck Shuttle 2 gives you blazing-fast speed, low power consumption and totally silent operation. Now you can eliminate complicated and expensive disk arrays. A single common SSD can record uncompressed video effortlessly. Removable cards simply cannot match that kind of performance. With no moving parts, SSDs are unbelievably robust and can easily handle shocks and vibrations that would destroy conventional hard drives or videotapes
- Connect to Professional or Consumer Cameras
- HyperDeck Shuttle 2 has been tested to work with virtually every camera, whether with interlaced or progressive recording, with SDI or HDMI output. It likewise works with most any deck or monitor. Effortlessly plug into monitors or televisions for instant on-set preview. Use HyperDeck Shuttle 2 as the video playback source for digital signage systems or switchers. Imagine using HyperDeck Shuttle 2 connected to a live production switcher for recording events, and then using it for live playback. HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is so small, you'll take it everywhere
- Unparalleled File Compatibility
- HyperDeck Shuttle captures most popular video formats as native uncompressed 10-bit QuickTime and Avid DNxHD MXF files. Recording straight to DNxHD is perfect for working with the full Avid Media Composer family of software, including NewsCutter and Symphony. There is no need to reformat or transcode your files, so you get the most efficient Avid workflow. DNxHD files can easily be graded natively with DaVinci Resolve using full AAF roundtrip with Media Composer. HyperDeck Shuttle also records direct to mathematically perfect-quality uncompressed 10-bit QuickTime files that can be used with all popular video software, such as Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, After Effects, DaVinci Resolve, and more
- Faster Cost-Effective Workflows
- HyperDeck Shuttle 2 improves nearly every step of your production workflow pipeline. For quick on-set QC or client preview, connect HyperDeck Shuttle 2 to a projector or television via the HDMI or SDI outputs. You can even edit directly from the SSD with no digitizing or file copying. Simply plug the SSD into your laptop or desktop via a standard eSATA dock. Motion graphic artists can line up VFX plates in full 10-bit uncompressed quality, right on location. SSDs are not much bigger than a credit card, so they can be sent anywhere in a simple overnight shipping envelope
- Familiar VTR Feel
- HyperDeck Shuttle 2 has standard deck-style function buttons, clearly marked and easily accessible along one side, as well as LEDs that indicate input signal lock, recording status, and battery status. With the affordable HyperDeck Shuttle 2 you won't be tying up your expensive VTRs, but you'll still be in familiar operating territory. There are seven buttons for local control of the device: Record, Stop, Next Clip, Previous Clip, Play, Display (which activates display mode), and Power. In addition, there are LED indicators for Video (showing a valid video input is present), SSD (showing reads and writes), and for Battery Level (showing four levels of the internal battery)