The white Lumix DMC-GF5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens from Panasonic is the coming of the next generation in mirrorless ultra-compact interchangeable lens cameras. Expanding on their GF3, Panasonic has created a camera with DSLR-like quality and responsiveness in a compact, easy to use form, complete with the latest touch screen navigation and Full HD video. This GF5 kit includes the camera body and a high speed 14-42mm (equivalent to 28-84mm in 35mm format) lens.
A newly developed 12.1 megapixel Live MOS sensor and the Lumix Venus Engine image processor are the foundations on which this advanced yet understandable camera are built. The Micro Four Thirds standard allows this camera to be mirrorless and therefore compact while maintaining high resolution and aspect ratio options. The interchangeable lens system provides a full creative palette to expand shooting capabilities well past the realm of standard compact cameras.
Combining the strengths of its sensor and image processor, the GF5 offers high speed and image quality, particularly noticeable in low light conditions. The noise that shows up as bland, "pixely" shadows and highlights in other cameras has been significantly reduced due to on-chip filters in the sensor and Panasonic's excellent noise reduction system. This system eliminates noise throughout the image processing stages, even at the incredibly higher sensitivity (ISO 12,800!) that the GF5 offers. Photodiode and readout circuits and the newly added NR (Noise Reduction) circuit combine with the Venus Engine's 3DNR and MNR to keep images sharp even at high speeds and low light; the optimal balance of high resolution and low noise.
To compete with the speed of bulky DSLR's, the compact Lumix GF5 has enhanced its sensor and auto-focus systems. The Live MOS sensor features high sensitivity signal processing and the auto-focus systems have been revamped for improved accuracy and speed. Adopting the Contrast-AF system, the GF5 incorporates Full-area focusing and pre-touch focusing. In other words, you can focus on any point in the field of view with a simple tap on the touch screen and in Quick AF mode, your camera will start focusing before you do. Added advancements include the AF+MF function, which allows manual focus to work with auto-focus for exact precision and Pinpoint AF, which lets you enlarge the focusing area on the LCD to place focus on a point as tiny as a bug on a flower or the pupil of an eye.
The new 3" LCD Touch Display is a significant step-up for the GF5. The 920K-dot high precision display and GUI (Graphic User Interface) transform this camera into a touch responsive system in which focusing and camera operation as well as image management and menu navigation are made simple and clear. Focus and even shutter release can be controlled by a tap on the screen and the GUI is as sophisticated as a smart phone. Animated icons and built-in function definitions on the Touch Q-menu makes this LCD more than just a standard display, it's a learning tool. Simple and practical, the Intelligent LCD function automatically adjusts the display's brightness according to shooting conditions. No more squinting and angling the camera to see the display on a sunny day.
High quality Full HD video (1920 x 1080) is available at the touch of a button and more so, available while you are in photo mode. Thanks to a dedicated video record button, you can instantly begin a video even while shooting photos. No menu navigation, no fumbling to change focal length, just hit the one button and the recording starts. Video is recorded in the AVCHD format which excels for both compression efficiency and playback compatibility and touch screen auto-focus is available for video as well.
For beginners to the interchangeable lens systems, the GF5 offers both, the New Scene Guide and iA, Intelligent Auto Mode. New Scene Guide is a unique function which offers 23 sample professional photos from which the user can choose and have the camera select the same settings that created the pro photo to shoot their photo. It also displays technical advice, suggested procedures and lens options right on the LCD in order capture the image as you would like. The iA and iA Plus modes offer a variety of shooting-assist functions including Face Recognition, Scene Selection and AF tracking all of which let the camera control its own functions based on your desired results.
Speaking of interchangeable lenses, the GF5 brings with it the widest selection of lenses of any camera in its class, including the world's first digital 3D interchangeable lens. The compact camera now has the flexibility and creative control of a DSLR. The DMC-GF5 kit comes with a 14-42mm lens, but within the GF5 family of lenses is everything you will need to shoot everything you want. Twelve Lumix G Vario lenses and two Leica DG lenses are available for dedicated mounting to the GF5 camera. From the 8mm (16mm in 35mm format) fisheye to the 100-300mm (200-600mm in 35mm format) tele-zoom, total control is at your fingertips.
Ultra compact, with a built-in flash, touch screen control and a range of interchangeable lenses, the Lumix DMC-GF5 is a remarkable camera that is blurring the outdated lines between DSLR and compact digital cameras and opening the doors to fast, high quality imaging for a new generation of photographers.
- Micro Four Thirds System
- By adopting the Micro Four Thirds System standard, the DMC-GF5 features a mirrorless structure that eliminates the mirror box and optical viewfinder unit. This carefully preserves the image quality while maintaining a compact profile, and provides you with high levels of performance in a digital interchangeable lens system camera.
- LUMIX Venus Engine processor
- The Venus Engine image processor has been renovated for the DMC-GF5. With a combination of 3DNR (3D Noise Reduction) and MNR (Multi-process Noise Reduction), both bright and dark areas are faithfully reproduced with minimum noise. Improved focusing and processing speeds equals more shots and faster display even in Intelligent Auto mode or with long zoom lenses attached. Multi-burst shooting allows for unlimited consecutive shots at up to 4 frames per second. The Venus Engine also consumes less power while processing, giving you longer battery life per charge.
- Image Quality with Minimum Noise
- Within the Live MOS sensor are both a photodiode circuit and a readout circuit that have been improved to minimize noise generation from processing to readout. The image processor provides selective noise reduction to image edges for a more naturally balanced curve without deterioration of resolution within the detailed areas, such as hair or clothing patterns. Spot-type noise in the dark area of an image or color bleeding in a bright area is further suppressed by the Venus Engine processor. Furthermore, image details are preserved by synthesizing the data with resolution priority for the edges and NR (noise reduction) priority for the smooth aspects of the image. The result is an image with stunning clarity even if shot in low-light situations.
- Intuitive Control Touch Display
- With the large 3.0", 920K-dot high-precision display featuring a field of view of approximately 100%, the DMC-GF5 offers both ease and sensibility in touchscreen operation. The touch-control system lets you set focus by just touching the focus spot on the screen and a wide viewing angle lets you frame and view your shot in a variety of angles. The Intelligent LCD function automatically adjusts the brightness according to shooting conditions. Menu navigation and in-camera teaching tools are controlled with the ease of a smart phone.
- Class Leading Fastest Auto Focus
- The GF5 utilizes the Contrast Auto Focus system which controls focusing through the sensor, eliminating mechanical errors and improving focus speed and accuracy. It also offers various AF functions which allow for faster focusing. Light Speed AF synchronizes the lens and sensor to reach approximately 0.09 second focusing speed. Quick AF activates focusing as soon as the camera is pointed at its subject, refusing to wait until you press the shutter button half-way. AF+MF function offers ultra precise focusing as you use both auto and manual focus in conjunction. And Touch AF allows focusing, tracking, face detection and Pinpoint Auto Focus all with a tap on the touchscreen LCD
- Interchangeable Lens System
- Fourteen lenses are dedicated to work on the DMC-GF5 including a digital 3D interchangeable lens. This interchangeable system provides an infinite amount of creative possibilities. Two high quality Leica DG lenses are part of this family as well as the LUMIX GX Power Zoom Lenses. The Power Zoom Lenses have an electric zoom lever on the left side of the lens barrel which offers a smooth, one-finger zoom function.
- High ISO Settings
- Normal ISO sensitivity ranges from 160 to 6400 but Extended ISO reaches as high as 12,800 allowing for sharp images even in low light situations.
- 1080p Full HD Video
- The DMC-GF5 offers beautiful Full HD (1920 x 1080) videos in AVCHD format. The AVCHD format features almost twice the recording time in HD quality than the conventional Motion JPEG and is directly compatible with AV devices like HDTVs or Blu-ray Disc players. Special functions like Video Divide allow you to edit in-camera, splitting videos into the parts you want and the parts you don't. And Intelligent Resolution technology allows you to copy individual frames from your HD video to produce high quality photos.
- Built-in Flash
- In spite of its compact size, the DMC-GF5 comes equipped with a built-in flash which folds out and above the camera body reducing red-eye and offering more composed lighting.
- New Scene Guide
- New Scene Guide is a tool for those new to interchangeable lens systems. It offers 23 sample photos shot by professional photographers. The photos are available to be seen on the LCD and by choosing the one most resembling the shot you would like to take, the camera will set each of the needed parameters to result in your photo being as well exposed and composed as the sample. New Scene Guide also offers a step-by-step tutorial on how to apply your camera's settings to create a quality image like the sample.
- Creative Control
- Creative Control has been upgraded to offer more creative and fun filters. And with the new Graphic User Interface (GUI) and menu tabs, switching between filters and previewing the images is even easier. The range of each effect, the defocusing function and exposure compensation are also controllable with the GUI.
- Dust Reduction System
- The Dust Reduction System in the DMC-GF5 helps prevent dust or other specks landing on the sensor and showing up on your images. A Supersonic Wave Filter is located in front of the Live MOS sensor and by vibrating vertically at 50,000 times per second it repels dust and other particles that might otherwise land on the sensor when you change lenses.