The Golden Age Project R1 MKII ribbon microphone offers characteristic ribbon performance for a surprisingly affordable price. It gives you the smooth high end and extended lows that make ribbon mics so popular with recording engineers and producers.
Outfitted with a ribbon that's 50 mm long and 2 microns thick, the R1 MKII provides fast and life-like transient response, and can handle extremely high sound pressure levels—up to 160 dB SPL.
As is typical for a ribbon mic, it has a figure-8 polar pattern, which means it picks up primarily from the front and rear of the capsule and rejects sounds coming from the sides. You can use this to your advantage in the studio to help minimize bleed when two or more sources are recording in the same room. The R1 MKII is well-suited for electric guitar, vocals, strings, horns, acoustic instruments, orchestras, choral groups, and many live-sound applications.
The R1 MKII comes with a soft transport case and an XLR mic cable.
- Offers the natural and musical sound of a classic ribbon microphone
- Ultra-realistic reproduction, with smooth highs and extended low end
- Provides the characteristic large-and-mellow ribbon-mic sound quality, featuring a very smooth top end and an extended low end
- Fast and life-like transient response
- An very high SPL capability, 160 dB SPL (1% THD @ 1000 Hz)
- Very good sensitivity for a ribbon microphone
- The Figure-8 polar pattern offers wide sweet spots both in the front and in the back of the microphone, and rejection on the sides
- A ribbon that's 50 mm long and made of 2-micron-thick aluminum foil
- An internal shock mount for the ribbon and magnet assembly
- Comes with a soft transport case and an XLR mic cable
- Manufactured from the finest materials for great performance and long-term reliability
- Can be used with any standard mixer or preamp, preferably one with a balanced input