The Golden Age Project R1 Active MKIII ribbon microphone offers the smooth high end and extended lows that make ribbon mics so popular with recording engineers and producers. Thanks to its active circuitry, which includes a bipolar/FET discrete low-noise amplifier, it offers higher-than-expected output for a ribbon mic.
The ribbon in the R1 Active MKIII is 50 mm long and 2 microns thick. The mic is designed to provide fast and life-like transient reproduction, and can handle sound pressure levels up to 150 dB SPL.
As is typical for a ribbon mic, it has a figure-8 polar pattern, which means it picks up primarily from the front and rear of the capsule and rejects sounds coming from the sides. You can use this to your advantage in the studio to help minimize bleed when two or more sources are recording in the same room. The R1 Active MKIII is well-suited for electric guitar, vocals, strings, horns, acoustic instruments, orchestras, choral groups, and many live-sound applications.
A soft transport case and an XLR mic cable are included.
- Offers the natural and musical sound of a classic ribbon microphone
- Ultra-realistic reproduction
- Fast and life-like transient response
- Provides the characteristic large-and-mellow ribbon-mic sound quality, featuring a very smooth top end and an extended low end
- A Bipolar/FET, discrete, low-noise amplifier with a low-impedance transformerless output stage. Powered by standard 48V phantom power, it raises the output level and isolates the ribbon and gain-make-up transformer from the outside world
- The Figure-8 polar pattern offers wide sweet spots both in the front and in the back of the microphone, and rejection on the sides
- A ribbon that's 50 mm long and made of 2-micron-thick aluminum foil
- An internal shock mount for the ribbon and magnet assembly
- Soft transport case and XLR mic cable included
- Manufactured from the finest materials for great performance and long-term reliability
- Can be used with any standard mixer or preamp, preferably with a balanced input, which can supply 48V phantom power