David Busch's Sony Alpha SLT-A57 Guide to Digital Photography from Cengage teaches you all there is to know about using this advanced camera. Utilize this 16.7 megapixel, and full HDTV camera to its fullest extent, from taking your first photos through advanced details of setup, exposure, lenses, lighting, and more. This book relates each feature to specific photographic techniques and situations, to help you get the most from your camera.
- Includes the Sony Alpha SLT-A57 Roadmap, a complete, concise guide to the camera's features and controls.
- Covers advanced shooting techniques with the Alpha SLT-A57, including HDTV movie-making.
- Includes a troubleshooting guide.
- About the Author
- David D. Busch is the world's #1 selling digital camera guide author and the originator of popular digital photography series like David Busch's Pro Secrets and David Busch's Quick Snap Guides. He has written more than a dozen hugely successful guidebooks for Sony and Sony Digital models, as well as many popular books devoted to dSLRs. His photos and articles have appeared in Popular Photography & Imaging, The Rangefinder, The Professional Photographer, and hundreds of other publications. He has also reviewed dozens of digital cameras for CNet and Computer Shopper, and his advice has been featured in National Public Radio's "All Tech Considered.
1. QUICK TOUR: SHOOTING YOUR FIRST SONY SLT-A57 PICTURE.
Selecting Shooting Mode. Focusing. Taking the Picture. Depth of Field Preview. Releasing the Shutter. Using the Self-Timer. Using Sequence Shooting. Reviewing the Image. Trashing the Duds. Transferring Images to Your Computer. Choosing an Image Format.
2. THE SONY SLT-A57 ROADMAP.
Front of the Camera Controls (picture + callouts). Back of the Camera Controls (picture + callouts). Top of the Camera Controls (picture + callouts). Viewfinder Display (picture + callouts). LCD Display. View and Playback Images. Activating the Onboard Flash. Basic Control Layout. Exposure Modes. Focus Modes. Shooting Modes.
3. SETTING UP YOUR SONY SLT-A57.
The Setup Menu. Date, Time, and Language. Setting LCD Brightness. Specifying Image Quality. Setting Autofocus Options. Choosing Drive Mode. Using Custom Settings Banks. Setting Your Viewfinder's Diopter Adjustment. Resetting the Camera. Updating Your Firmware.
4. SHOOTING BASICS.
Metering Modes. Metering Techniques. Interpreting Histograms. Adjusting Exposures with EV. Bracketing Exposures and other Parameters. ISO Sensitivity. Setting White Balance. Working with High Speed Continuous Shooting Modes. Focus Modes. Image Parameters.
5. PHOTOGRAPHY WITH YOUR SONY SLT-A57.
Understanding Exposure. ISO and Noise Control. Using Apertures. Controlling Depth of Field. Motion and Shutter Speed.
6 ADVANCED SHOOTING AND MOVIE MAKING.
Shooting Full HDTV D-Movies. Editing Movies. Enhancing Sound. Capturing Continuous Sequences. Freezing Action.
7. WORKING WITH LENSES.
Sony lenses. Third-Party lenses. Lens compatibility. Using Zooms. Working with Prime Lenses. Applying the Lens Crop Factor to Your Pictures. Using a Wide-Angle Lens. Using Telephoto Lenses. Using Normal Lenses. Using Macro Lenses. Cool Special Features. Extending the Range of Any Lens with a Converter. Working with Autofocus.
8. WORKING WITH LIGHT.
Sony SLT-A57 Flash Basics. The Built-In Flash. Flash Modes. Using Manual Flash. Flash Exposure Compensation. External Flash Units. Sony Flash. Third Party Flash. Using Studio Flash. Using Modeling Lights. Conquering Available Light. Incandescent Lighting Dealing with Fluorescents Infrared and UV.
9. DOWNLOADING AND EDITING.
Software Utilities. Sony Software. Third Party Software. Noise Reduction Software. RAW converters.
10. TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR SONY SLT-A57.
Charging and Maintaining Batteries. Battery Life. Using Alternate Power Sources. Checking your Internal Clock Battery. Cleaning the CCD. Troubleshooting.