The 13.3" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer from Apple is a powerful notebook computer with an innovative aluminum unibody design. It is loaded with advanced power management features and an integrated battery, which work together to provide up to 7 hours of wireless web browsing.
You may notice an unfamiliar logo next to one of the ports on the left side of the system. This is Thunderbolt, a high-speed interface that can move data at an amazing 10 Gbps, which is double that of USB 3.0. The MacBook Pro has dual USB 3.0 ports as well. The Thunderbolt port also doubles as a display output because it shares the same physical form factor as a Mini DisplayPort. You can daisy-chain up to six devices, so you'll be able to connect high-speed external storage and an external Apple LED Cinema display via the same port!
The computer's 13.3" (33.8 cm) display features LED backlight technology and a glossy finish. Its 1280 x 800 native resolution gives you ample screen space to work with. You'll be able to output to an external display at up to 2560 x 1600 via Thunderbolt. Any Mini DisplayPort-compatible display will plug in without the need of an adapter. If you have a display with DVI, VGA or HDMI input, you'll only need to purchase an adapter cable (i.e., HDMI-to-Mini DisplayPort) for connection.
You'll be able to communicate with friends and family thanks to built-in support for FaceTime chat. The computer's FaceTime HD camera supports 720p HD video chat via the included app. You can make video calls to other Mac users with FaceTime as well as to anyone with an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S or an iPod touch model with a built-in camera.
The system is powered by a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 Dual-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz. The computer is loaded with 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a 128GB solid state drive and a SuperDrive DVD burner. You'll be able to connect to the Internet with ease via 802.11n WiFi or wired Gigabit Ethernet. The MacBook Pro also features built-in Bluetooth 4.0, which allows you to connect wireless headphones, keyboard, mice and other compatible peripherals without a hassle.
Graphics are handled by integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics, which gives you the best of both worlds in regards of battery life and performance. The MacBook Pro uses integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics for everyday use, such as web browsing and word processing. It is also capable of HD video playback.
The computer features a comfortable backlit chiclet-style keyboard, which features space between each key for improved accuracy and comfort when typing. It also sports a glass Multi-Touch trackpad with a clickable design. Rather than having a separate button for mouse clicks, the entire surface of the pad is clickable. This increases the active surface area and allows you to quickly click without having to maneuver to the bottom of the trackpad.
The trackpad also fully supports Multi-touch gestures. You can tap the trackpad with one finger to click, tap with two fingers to right click, scroll through documents using two fingers, pinch to zoom, navigate through Safari or iPhoto with three-finger left and right swipes or use two fingers to rotate a photo or PDF.
iLife '11 has a complete suite of digital creativity applications. Easy enough for anyone to use, iLife '11 will help you edit your home movies, organize digital photos and compose original music. iLife '11 includes iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand.
The 64-bit Mac OS X features Time Machine backup. Time Machine automatically backs up system data to an external hard drive. The notebook also features intuitive Cover Flow navigation, the powerful Spotlight search tool and Quick Look document preview. You'll be able to use Boot Camp to run Windows on your Mac, if needed.
- Strength. Lightness. Beauty. Seamlessly Integrated
- MacBook Pro is machined from a single piece of aluminum, an engineering breakthrough that replaced many parts with just one. It's called the unibody. And the first time you pick up a MacBook Pro you'll notice the difference it makes. The entire enclosure is thinner and lighter than other notebooks. It looks polished and refined. And it feels strong and durable - perfect for life inside (and outside) your briefcase or backpack
- A Display Full of Bright Ideas
- Everything Apple designers and engineers do, they do for a reason. They chose LED backlight technology for the MacBook Pro because it makes the display instantly bright and allows it to be incredibly thin. They used edge-to-edge glass not just because it looks beautiful, but because it lends structure to the display. And at the top of the screen they hid the built-in FaceTime HD camera. So you see your friends and family in big, beautiful widescreen - and as little of the camera as possible
- Multi-Touch Trackpad -- It Just Feels Right
- The Multi-Touch trackpad has no button because it is the button. That means there's more room to track and more room to click left, right, center and everywhere in between. Apple designers and engineers spent countless hours considering things like sensitivity (how much pressure triggers a click?), audio feedback (what does the click sound like?) and friction over the smooth glass surface (what does it feel like?). The result is a trackpad that just makes sense to you...and your fingers
- Magnetic Latch
- Because the magnetic latch has no moving parts to snag, jam, or break, even opening and closing your MacBook Pro is a pleasure
- Easy Access to Connections and Ports
- The connections and ports on the MacBook Pro, such as the MagSafe power, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt, dual USB 3.0, SDXC card reader and audio in/out, are all smartly integrated on the same side of the notebook. So your cables stay neatly organized while connecting and disconnecting your devices is easy and convenient
- MagSafe Power Adapter
- The power cord is held in place magnetically, so if someone should happen to trip over it, the cord disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely
- ThunderBolt Port
- Thunderbolt lets you connect high-performance devices and high-resolution displays to a single, compact port. It even supports Mini DisplayPort devices, such as your Apple LED Cinema Display or an HDMI adapter for your television
- Designed to Make an Impact -- Just Not on the Environment
- Complete control over how the MacBook Pro is designed, how it's manufactured and how it's packaged gives Apple an environmental edge. LED backlight technology preserves energy. Glass and aluminum are highly recyclable. The MacBook Pro is free of most harmful toxins and it is shipped in packaging smaller than its predecessor. That means fewer trees used for boxes and fewer planes, trains and trucks used for transport
- Intel Core Ivy Bridge Processor
- The 13.3" MacBook Pro now features a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 Dual-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz and 4MB of shared L3 cache. This CPU bring even more power to everything you do
- The Graphics Performance You Need, When You Need It
- The integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 processor boosts performance by up to 60 percent. That extra power gives you a smoother, more fluid experience than before. It's still highly efficient, too, so you get long battery life when you're out and about
- Fast & Versatile I/O
- Imagine accessing multiple streams of uncompressed HD video - from your MacBook Pro - at speeds that let you edit an HD feature film in real time. Thunderbolt technology allows you to connect the high-performance peripherals that make it possible. Ultrafast and ultraflexible, the Thunderbolt pipeline is up to 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and offers unprecedented expansion capabilities. These models also feature dual USB 3.0 ports, which support transfer speeds up to 5 Gbps. They are also backwards compatible with USB 2.0
- FaceTime 720p HD Camera
- Get more of your friends in on the fun with crisp, widescreen HD video. The picture is so clear, it will look and feel almost like you're in the same room. You can make 720p HD calls from your MacBook Pro to any Mac with a FaceTime HD camera. You can also make video calls to iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch and other Intel-based Mac computers
- Multi-Touch Trackpad -- Be More Hands-On
- The Multi-Touch trackpad is the most natural way to interact with what's on your screen, and the smooth glass surface gives you plenty of room for gestures. Pinch to zoom in and out, swipe to flip through photos, rotate to adjust an image, and much more. The buttonless design lets you click anywhere. And if you're coming from a right-click world, you can right-click with two fingers or configure a right-click area on the trackpad. The more you use the Multi-Touch trackpad, the more you'll wonder how you ever did without it
- A Long-Lasting Battery -- Charge Less & Do More
- MacBook Pro delivers amazing battery life. And that's with more powerful processors and faster graphics than ever. An energy-efficient processor architecture with an integrated video encoder, helps improve battery life. So you can get up to seven hours on a single charge
- It's Very Well Connected
- MacBook Pro automatically finds available networks and allows you to join them with a click. And the three-stream 802.11 n wireless technology gives you the best possible performance at the greatest range. Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology is also built in, so you can use your favorite wireless accessories right out of the box
- Ports with Possibility
With the Thunderbolt port, you can daisy-chain as many as six devices - including an Apple Thunderbolt Display and Mini DisplayPort peripherals - to create a full-fledged workstation. And with support for video and eight-channel audio, it's easy to connect HDMI-compatible devices - like your TV and home stereo - using an HDMI adapter (sold separately). Current VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort adapters are also supported.
Two USB 3.0 ports let you access a pipeline that's up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0. And your USB 2.0 devices can still plug right in. If you have devices that use FireWire 800, there's a port for that, too. And an SDXC card slot that supports up to 64GB cards makes it a snap to transfer all those photos to and from your MacBook Pro, so you can edit and share them on the spot
- Burn DVDs Superfast
- Use the 8x SuperDrive on MacBook Pro to burn DVDs in no time. Since the SuperDrive writes to double-layer discs (DVDs with nearly 9GB of space), it's great for backing up data, too
- iCloud stores your content and lets you access your music, photos, calendars, contacts, documents, and more from whatever device you're on. So if you take a picture with your iPhone or make changes to your meeting schedule on your iPad, iCloud makes sure everything appears on your Mac, too
- Support from AppleCare
- A Mac includes 90 days of free telephone technical support and a one-year limited warranty. If you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan (sold separately), you can extend that coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac
- Support from the Apple Retail Store
- You can always get expert advice at the Genius Bar in any Apple Retail Store. Even better, when you buy a Mac directly from Apple, you can sign up for One to One. A personal trainer will help you transfer files from your old computer and give you a year's worth of in-person training sessions
- Turbo Boost
- Processor-intensive applications like Aperture and Final Cut Pro benefit from extra power. And Turbo Boost provides it, automatically increasing the speed of the active cores - up to 3.7GHz. So your work just goes smoother and faster
- So Much Power on One Chip
- Built on a 22-nanometer process, Intel's third-generation Core architecture keeps the processor, cache, graphics processor, and a faster-than-ever 1600 MHz memory controller on a single chip. Since data doesn't have as far to travel, you can fly through demanding tasks like editing HD video, compiling audio, or rendering a multilayered image file
- Hyper-Threading technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. For example, on a quad-core processor, OS X recognizes eight virtual cores so the processor can spread tasks more evenly across them
- Included Apps
- Built-in apps include iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, Mac App Store, Safari, Mail, iCal, Address Book, Time Machine and FaceTime
- iPhoto is an easy-to-use photo application that makes it fast and fun to organize and find your pictures, as well as make them look their absolute best. With features like Faces, Places, and Events, iPhoto helps you keep track of your photos by who's in them and when and where you took them - all in an immersive full-screen view. Quick and simple editing tools let you make so-so shots picture perfect with just a few clicks. Photo Stream in iCloud automatically pushes new photos to all your devices, so you're never without your latest shots. And if you feel like showing off what you've captured, iPhoto lets you share with beautiful photo books and letterpress cards or online via Facebook and Flickr
- Don't settle for boring home movies. With iMovie, you can transform the videos you shoot into your very own indie flicks. Create a Hollywood-style trailer that'll make your audience laugh, cry, and cheer for more. If you know how to drag and drop, you can make a movie in iMovie. It comes with Apple-designed themes that look fun and professional. Just choose one and iMovie does the rest, adding animated titles and sophisticated transitions automatically. Customize your screen gem further with your own words and audio
- Whether you're musically gifted or mostly curious, GarageBand is the application for you. Plug in your electric guitar or USB music keyboard and get ready to rock with virtual replicas of the most revered amps and stompboxes in the world, as well as over 100 software instruments. Just because you didn't grow up learning your A, B, and C sharp doesn't mean you can't. Basic Lessons teach you just that: the basics. Choose from 40 lessons that cover blues guitar, rock guitar, classical piano, pop piano, and more. Or get a private lesson from one of your musical heroes, like Sting or Death Cab for Cutie, with Artist Lessons.1 GarageBand even tells you how well you're playing in real time with a feature called "How Did I Play?"
- Mac App Store
- Just like shopping the App Store on iPad, the Mac App Store offers endless possibilities to browse and purchase apps. New apps install in one step right to Launchpad. And the Mac App Store lets you know when app updates are available, so you always have the latest versions
- Designed with the Mac in mind, Safari emphasizes browsing, not the browser. In new full-screen view, the browser frame is only a pixel wide, and you can hide almost the entire interface if you choose. So there's nothing to distract you from an article, video, or photo album. Navigating web pages is easy with new trackpad gestures; flip through web pages with a swipe, and double tap or pinch the trackpad to zoom in on text or images. Safari also features Reader, which lets you peruse articles sans annoying ads. Don't have time to finish what you've started? Reading List lets you save links to articles and other web pages for later, and iCloud keeps your Reading List up to date across all your devices. Since pages render fast in Safari, you won't miss a minute of the web
Mail makes it easy to manage all your email from a single, ad-free inbox. It features powerful search capabilities, with search suggestions and tokens built in. It works with the free me.com email account you get when you sign up for iCloud, as well as most email standards - including POP3 and IMAP - and popular email services such as Gmail, Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, Cox, Yahoo! Mail, and AOL Mail. Mail supports Microsoft Exchange 2010, too. If you have more than one email account, no problem. Add your accounts to Mail and you'll be able to access all your email from one place.
And Mail looks as great as it works. It makes full use of your display with a gorgeous widescreen view featuring a full-height message and a message list that includes snippets. With Conversations, messages from the same thread appear in an elegant timeline showing each communication as it was sent while hiding redundant text
- Keep track of your busy schedule and share it with others using iCal. Create separate calendars - one for home, another for school, a third for work, and so on. See all your calendars in a single window or choose to see only the calendars you want. iCal lets you create invitations using contact information from your Address Book, update your guest list, keep track of responses, and receive the latest status information. When you or another Mac user receives an iCal invitation via Mail, it's automatically added. iCal also works with iCloud, Yahoo!, and Google. And when you use iCloud, every iCal edit you make on your Mac automatically appears on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. So no dinner dates are missed, no meeting goes unattended, and no anniversary is forgotten
- Address Book
- With Address Book you have a flexible and convenient place to store contact information for everyone you know. You can import names, numbers, addresses, and photos from other applications; create smart groups for clubs, activities, and business purposes; print address labels and envelopes; and more. iCloud updates your contacts on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac - so when you enter someone's contact info once, you have it everywhere. And since Address Book is built on vCard, an industry standard for storing contact information, your friends can send you cards that you can add simply by dropping them in - no typing required
- Time Machine
- Time Machine works with your Mac and an external hard drive (sold separately) or Time Capsule. Connect the drive, assign it to Time Machine, and start enjoying some peace of mind. Time Machine automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, and documents. But what makes Time Machine different from other backup applications is that it not only keeps a spare copy of every file, it remembers how your system looked on any given day - so you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past
- FaceTime for Mac makes it possible to talk, smile, and laugh with anyone on an iPad, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPod touch, or another Mac from your Mac.2 So you can catch up, hang out, joke around, and stay in touch with just a click. And when someone tries to reach you, the call rings through on every Mac you own, even if FaceTime isn't running. So you never have to worry about making yourself available. If you don't want to receive calls, just turn FaceTime off in preferences. FaceTime is integrated with your Address Book so you can initiate chats easily
- Photo Booth
- Take photo snapshots and video clips with your Mac using Photo Booth. Send them to your friends, use one as an iChat icon, add them to your Address Book, or organize and edit them in iPhoto. The real fun starts when you use the effects and backdrops in Photo Booth. Snap a photo of yourself at the Eiffel Tower or in outer space. Choose from nine new effects that use facial tracking technology so effects look great whether you're front and center - or left of center. Snap single photos or shoot multiples in a four-photo burst. You can even shoot video clips, complete with effects, then trim them right in Photo Booth and send them to friends and family. And since Photo Booth can be viewed full screen, you'll enjoy every detail down to the last pixel
- Operating temperature: 50 to 95°F (10 to 35°C)
- Storage temperature: -13 to 113°F (-24 to 45°C)
- Relative humidity: 0 to 90% non-condensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3048 m)
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet (4572 m)