The 18TB Pegasus R6 Direct Attached Storage RAID Array by Promise Technology is a Thunderbolt-enabled extra storage system for Mac that gives you room and flexibility for your storage needs.
The array features 6 3.5" bays, each with a 3TB 7200 rpm SATA drive, running on a 6Gbps interface. It also features an advanced RAID engine capable of RAID 0, 1, 5, 6 and 10. The bays are hot swappable, so you can remove drives without unplugging the machine.
Additionally, the DAS RAID array use two channels of bi-directional 10Gbits/s through the two Thunderbolt ports to move and transfer data. Combined with the RAID options, this feature makes the unit ideal for users who manage and curate video data, and graphic artists using high-resolution graphics programs. It can handle multiple streams of uncompressed 10-bit and 12-bit video, and up to eight simultaneous uncompressed 720p streams.
You can also use the two Thunderbolt ports to daisy-chain the server in a larger array, conceivably adding up to six units for a total of 36 HDDs, or over 108TB of storage. Since there are two ports, this unit does not have to reside at the end of the chain, and it allows you to add display monitors or other Thunderbolt-enabled devices.
The Pegasus comes pre-configured out of the box for Mac computers, and is compatible with Time Machine backup software. It also includes Pegasus management software. A Thunderbolt cable is available separately.
- Lightning Fast Performance
- With I/O rates of over 800 MB/s, Pegasus delivers faster performance, allowing casual users, professionals, audio engineers, photographers, and post production engineers to experience the speed of Thunderbolt Technology. Final Cut professionals can edit and playback multiple streams of uncompressed HD (8-bit and 10-bit) video while graphic artists can manipulate and archive high resolution graphics on Pegasus with ease.
- Flexible Connectivity and Expandability
- The 2x Thunderbolt ports enable Pegasus to daisy-chain more than one Pegasus enclosure to another Thunderbolt device port or connect a display to Pegasus for convenience. It's possible to chain up to 6 additional Pegasus units for a total of 36 HDDs, or 108TB of storage.
- Fast, Safe and Reliable
- Featuring two high performance 10Gb/s bi-directional channels and Promise's enterprise-level RAID 6 protection, Pegasus provides fast, safe, and reliable external storage, for protecting your music, photos, videos, and other valuable data. Pegasus provides 18TB of storage and fast performance for popular applications, including Final Cut Pro, Garageband, iTunes, iPhoto, and Photoshop. Pegasus can be used in conjunction with Apple's Time Machine utility (in Mac OS X) to store backups of digital media, documents, or an entire computer (or workstation).
- Easy to Use
- Pegasus comes pre-configured out of the box. Unpack, supply power, and connect the Thunderbolt cable (optional) to the Thunderbolt port on your computer, and you will be ready to edit production video, or organize the storage of all your important documents, music, photos, and videos. Management of Pegasus is made possible through an easy to use, all new, made-for-Mac OS X GUI utility.
- Eco Friendly
- Pegasus is RoHS compliant, keeping harmful lead out of the environment and our ecosystems. Consuming a mere 78 watts under full load with six hard drives installed, Pegasus uses roughly 26% of the power consumed by the average 300 watt power supply in standard computers. Sporting a new enclosure design, an 80Plus power supply and a smart cooling fan, system noise is never an issue making Pegasus ideal for desktop, small office environments or any room in the home.