The WD 2TB My Book VelociRaptor Duo Thunderbolt Desktop Hard Drive features a 2TB capacity, two 10,000 rpm drives and dual Thunderbolt ports for added speed when transferring data. It also features RAID capability, a user-serviceable and replaceable hard drive and the ability to daisy-chain multiple devices.
The Thunderbolt speeds of 10Gbps and the 10,000 rpm of the drives combine for data transfer rates that equal transfer of a full-length Blu-Ray movie in just over 60 seconds, 500 photos in 30 seconds and 2,000 MP3 files in 10 seconds. Data transfer rates will vary according to user hardware and software configurations.
You can also daisy-chain up to six other Thunderbolt devices, and since the VelociRaptor has two Thunderbolt ports it does not need to reside at the end of the chain. You can hook up a display and another Thunderbolt-enabled device to monitor drive efficiency. Thankfully, this comes with a Thunderbolt cable.
The unit comes with WD Drive Utilities software so that you can run diagnostics, manage the RAID modes or register your device. The drive also comes preformatted as Mac OS X HFS+ journaled, but compatibility may vary depending on the user's hardware configuration and operating system. When setting the RAID modes, you can format the disks as HFS+ Journaled, or exFAT, which is ideal when running Windows OS on a Mac.
- VelociRaptor Speed
- With the speed of two 10,000 rpm WD VelociRaptor drives inside united with the speed of Thunderbolt technology your data will transfer quickly.
- User-Configurable for Speed and Data
- Customize this dual-drive storage system to your needs - RAID 0 for speed, RAID 1 for data protection or JBOD to use the drives individually. Choose RAID 0 (striping) for the performance you need when designing or editing graphic-intensive media files. When the drive is set to RAID 1 (mirroring) it provides double-safe data protection by automatically generating a duplicate copy of your data. Set the drive to JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) to use as two individual drives and select between HFS+Journaled or exFAT per disk.
- Move Data Quickly
- The Thunderbolt connector provides two channels of up to 10Gb/s transfer rate in both directions, allowing data to travel both ways without compromising bandwidth. This means video files are imported faster and visual effects are rendered quickly.
- Simply open the case and exchange an existing drive. If you fill up a drive, you can simply remove it and replace it with a fresh drive and begin saving even more of your work.
- WD Drive Utilities
- Register your drive, run diagnostics, manage RAID or JBOD modes and more using WD Drive Utilities.
- Daisy-Chain for More Capacity and Speed
- The dual Thunderbolt ports allow you to daisy-chain more drives for more speed and higher capacity. Connect a Thunderbolt display and other Thunderbolt-enabled peripherals to achieve maximum efficiency and productivity. Because the unit contains two Thunderbolt units, it does not have to be at the end of the chain of peripherals.