The M-E Digital Rangefinder Camera from Leica is a full frame, interchangeable lens camera that embodies the notion that less is more. By concentrating on essential photographic functions, the M-E produces high quality images in a fast and stealthy manner. The camera houses a full frame (36 x 24 mm) sensor but retains a compact, durable and well-designed form.
The 18MP CCD sensor in full 35mm format offers high-resolution imaging and the omission of the sensor's low-pass filter creates photos with fine details and an increased visual impact. The sensor matches well with the compact M-system and M-series lenses, giving uniform exposure across the entire sensor. The camera's compatibility with the full line of superb Leica M-series lenses provides flexibility in shooting and sharp imagery.
By declining to incorporate features such as Live View and Video functions, the M-E frees itself to perfect only those functions that create a better photographic image. Its fast and accurate manual focusing is achieved via the optical viewfinder/rangefinder and the smooth, exact focusing ring of a Leica lens. Shutter speeds from bulb mode through 1/4000th of seconds can be set manually or automatically determined by the camera. The shutter mechanism is a closed type focal plane shutter with external cocking mechanics and provides a quiet and smooth action.
A 2.5" TFT LCD screen with 230,000 pixels offers clear image playback and menu control and the camera body itself is an all-metal casing made of die-cast magnesium with an attractive anthracite-gray finish and a real leather wrap which provides a good grip as well as good looks. A hot shoe mount is available for optional flash attachment.
This is an ideal camera for those interested in a pure photographic system which produces uncompromised image quality.
- 18MP Full-frame CCD Sensor
- The highly light sensitive full-frame CCD sensor is ideal for the compact nature of the M-E and the high quality Leica M-series lenses. Uniform light exposure from corner to corner of the sensor provides sharp, high quality images.
- Omitted Low-pass Filter
- The omission of the otherwise usual low-pass filter ensures that images possess fine details and a particularly natural visual impact.
- Optical Viewfinder/Rangefinder
- Manual focus is provided through the large, clear, bright-line rangefinder with 0.68x magnification and automatic parallax compensation. The viewfinder's frame lines match the image sensor size at 3.2 feet (1 m). Split or superimposed image rangefinder is shown as a bright field in the center of the viewfinder image. The eyepiece is adjusted to -0.5 dpt. An LED display is visible in the optical viewfinder showing auto shutter speeds and exposure correction warnings.
- Exposure metering is Through the Lens (TTL) metering, center-weighted with variable aperture. There are two exposure modes: Automatic shutter speed (Aperture Priority A-mode) and Manual Exposure (M-mode). Exposure compensation is -3 EV to +3 EV in 1/3 stops.
- Handsome, Durable Design
- Milled brass top cover with all metal, magnesium body. Anthracite-gray finish and black leather trim.
- Image File Format and Size
- The M-E shoots in both DNG (RAW data uncompressed or nonlinear compressed) and JPEG formats. DNG file size is 18 MB (compressed) and 36 MB (uncompressed). Exact JPEG file sizes depend on resolution and image content.
- User Profiles
- Up to four sets of camera and exposure settings can be saved under a user-selected profile name and rapidly retrieved whenever required.
- Menu Languages
- English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese
- Other Functions
- Saturation, Contrast, Sharpening
- All optional accessories compatible with the Leica M9/M9-P digital camera will fit the Leica M-E.
- A free Adobe Lightroom software download is included.