The Gitzo GK1582OT Ocean Traveler 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit is a tripod with almost no limitations: it's designed for use in the most destructive conditions for tripods--salt water, dust, mud, sand. Made with 6x carbon fiber legs, all of the fittings are constructed from uncoated stainless steel using an advanced surface treatment developed for surgical equipment that completely closes any porosity at a microscopic level, eliminating any foothold for corrosive elements.
A refinement of the G-Lock leg locking system, Ocean Lock, sets new standards for protecting tripod legs. Ocean Lock adds special inserts at both ends of each leg section, which greatly minimize the amount of salt water, dust, mud, etc. that can enter the legs and locking mechanisms. The upper stainless steel leg ends have a funnel-like hole which allows the small amount of liquid that might have entered to be emptied out efficiently.
The dedicated ball head that's included is made from stainless steel and can be disassembled to clean and dry all of the interior parts. Special grease is included for lubricating the head and leg locking mechanisms after cleaning.
As a Traveler, this tripod's large expansion/contraction ratio makes it the ideal choice for, well, travelers. The top of the Traveler is designed to allow the leg segments to fold 180°, towards the direction that's away from the ground when the tripod is in use. This allows the normal crown section of a tripod to be within the collapsed leg segments' space, affording the Ocean Traveler its impressive 17.1" folded length, and protecting the head when it's not in use.
This is a Gitzo 6x carbon fiber model, made from their own ultra-thin carbon fiber strands. Carbon fiber has a tendency to absorb vibrations rather than transmitting them to the camera it supports, much like a wooden tripod would.
- Ocean Lock
- The Ocean-Lock is a special version of Gitzo G-Lock, maintaining the same outstanding locking performances. Thanks to two special seals derived from the automation industry, it minimizes the amount of water and debris that may enter tubes and locking mechanisms. The Ocean-Lock is not 100% waterproof, however it dramatically enhances the capacity of the tripod to withstand extreme environments.
- Ground Level Set
- This feature allows you to remove the center column to save weight and get the camera closer to the ground. It uses existing components: the upper disc with reversible 1/4" - 3/8" bolt and the column hook assembly. Remove the column and fix the disk directly to the upper casting using the column hook. No tools needed.
- Rapid Column
- The center column locking collar above the tripod shoulder makes it easier to adjust the column quickly. This Series 1 tripod is built with an anti-rotation grooved center column for improved stability.
- Reversible Column
- The rapid column can easily be inverted for an alternative shooting angle or low level macro work.
- This built-in accessory allows you to hang a stabilizing weight (e.g. a full camera bag or a sand/water bag) from the bottom of the tripod center column. Useful with long, heavy lenses, on uneven ground or in windy conditions.
- Anti Leg Rotation
- The Anti Leg Rotation (ALR) system allows the tripod to be opened in less than 15 seconds. Simply loosen all the twist locks on each leg at the same time, then pull the leg down and tighten the locks individually.
- Two Leg Angles
- This feature allows you to independently position the tripod legs in two positions.
- A dedicated stainless steel ballhead is included which can be easily disassembled to clean out any sand, salt, dust, etc. that may become trapped in the mechanism. Special grease is included to lubricate the head and leg locking mechanisms.
- Unique leg design allows an expansion ratio that's rare for a truly rigid tripod
- Legs assembled from Gitzo-specific "6x" ultra-strong and super-thin (0.007mm) carbon fiber strands
- Maximum upper leg segment diameter of 24mm; appropriate for SLR cameras and 135mm telephoto lenses
- Folds down to just 17.1"