The Canon 32GB VIXIA HF G20 Full HD Camcorder shoots 1920 x 1080 Full HD video at 60i, in native 24p and 30p. With the 24p frame rate option you can give your footage a cinematic look. Using Cinema-Looks Filters you can boost that film look with multiple built-in adjustable filters. The HF G20 features a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens with an 8-Blade iris for more professional-looking video and stills. It has a 30.4 - 304mm (35mm equivalent) focal length. The camcorder is also equipped with a Canon HD CMOS Pro image sensor that supports improved low-light performance and a wide dynamic range.
The HF G20 has 32GB of built-in memory that supports up to 12 hours of HD video. It also features two SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slots that you can use for Relay Recording, which automatically switches video recording to the memory card when the internal drive becomes full. The camera features Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization as well. Other features of the HF G20 include a 3.5" touch panel LCD, a 0.24" color viewfinder, a 58mm filter diameter and Smart AUTO function.
The HF G20 has a number of professional shooting functions as well. These include custom key and dial, composition aids and advanced control like manual exposure, aperture priority and shutter priority. It also supports Audio Scene Select and a highly adjustable internal microphone. For more professional audio, the HF G20 has headphone and microphone jacks. It has HDMI and USB connectivity as well. Plus, the Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe supports attachment of a variety of shooting aids including lights and microphones.
- Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens with 8-Blade Iris
- The VIXIA HF G20 features a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens with a 30.4-304mm (35mm equivalent) focal length. It delivers a versatile wide angle of view and professional-looking background images thanks to an 8-blade iris. The professional touch of a dedicated manual focus ring allows accurate and precise control. Combined with Canon's Exclusive HD CMOS Pro image sensor, it captures video with Full HD resolution, superb low-light performance and a wide dynamic range.
- DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor provides realistic color and sophisticated noise reduction for better low-light performance. It is also the high-speed engine that powers a variety of Canon technologies including Smart Auto, Touch & Track, Genuine Canon Face Detection and Cinema-Look Filters.
- 24Mbps Recording
- You will also find that lifelike tone and detail are captured thanks to 24Mbps recording, which offers the highest bit rate in AVCHD. The VIXIA HF G20 not only captures images in Full HD, but records and outputs at 1920 x 1080 as well, so you get Full HD from lens to screen.
- Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor
- The Canon HD CMOS Pro image sensor is a professional-level 1/3" native 1920 x 1080 image sensor which delivers Full HD video resolution, improved low-light performance and a wide dynamic range. Plus, unlike image sensors found in competitive consumer camcorders, the HD CMOS Pro image sensor uses fewer pixels, which are significantly larger and more sensitive, resulting in optimized video performance.
- HD Video Resolution (800 Vertical & 900 Horizontal TV Lines)
- Since the effective number of pixels of HD CMOS Pro is equal to 1920 x 1080, resizing is eliminated, allowing Full HD video to be captured and recorded with professional precision.
- Better Low-Light Performance (1.2 lux)
- Because each individual pixel is larger and more sensitive, each one is capable of capturing more light, allowing high quality video to be achieved even in dimly lit conditions. The sensitivity of the HD CMOS Pro image sensor is approximately 20% better than the HD CMOS Pro image sensor found in the 2011 VIXIA HF G10 camcorder.
- Wide Dynamic Range
- A larger pixel area also allows more light to be stored, resulting in 280% improvement in dynamic range (versus Canon's 2010 VIXIA HF S-series camcorders) for exceptional reproduction of both highlights and shadows. Skin tones are captured in a finer gradation, and stable gamma and Auto Exposure control is also achieved resulting in a more lifelike images.
- Internal 32GB Memory & Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slots
- Record up to 12 hours of crisp high-definition video to the 32GB internal flash drive or directly to two SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slots. Relay Recording automatically switches video recording to the memory card when the internal drive becomes full. Plus, when the first memory card becomes full, the second automatically takes over, so there's no need to worry about running out of recording time during an important event. With SDXC memory card compatibility, you'll have up to 256GB of additional storage capacity and faster data transfer speeds.
- Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization
- The VIXIA HF G20 features Canon's Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer, which provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion. Extra compensation is applied at wide-angle focal lengths to eliminate the unwanted shaking that is common when walking. The system corrects camera shake instantly, so even when you're shooting handheld video at the long end of the zoom, the image is steady and smooth.
- Intelligent IS
- Intelligent IS makes it easier to shoot clear, sharply focused video, even in situations that typically cause camera shake. The Intelligent IS system analyzes the shooting situation for you, and then automatically switches to the image stabilization method best able to produce sharp, steady video. Four IS systems cover the gamut of shooting situations. Dynamic IS corrects minor movement and the shaking caused by walking while shooting. Macro IS delivers perfectly steady close-up shots. Powered IS comes into play when you're using the camcorder's powerful zoom. It helps correct camera shake that can occur in telephoto shots. There's even a Tripod Mode that stops IS when the camcorder is stationary.
- 3.5" Touch Panel LCD Screen (922,000 dots)
- This large, 922,000 dot screen provides approximately 100% coverage of your shooting scene. It delivers bright color combined with touch panel control for faster and easier menu navigation. You'll also have Touch & Track, which allows you to get precise focus and exposure on any subject - whether it's people, pets or vehicles. Just select your choice right on the touch panel LCD. The additional Touch Decoration feature allows you to decorate your video with interesting effects as well.
- 0.24" Color Electronic Viewfinder ( 260,000 dots)
- For your convenience, the VIXIA HF G20 is also equipped with a 0.24", 260,000 dot color viewfinder which provides approximately 100% coverage, for use when shooting in very bright outdoor light conditions that may make it difficult to see the LCD display.
- Smart AUTO & Auto Tele Macro
- Smart AUTO takes care of all the details so you can focus on shooting. The system recognizes 38 shooting situations based on numerous factors, and then automatically chooses the optimal settings for the situation. With Tele Macro, the VIXIA HF G20 automatically zooms the lens to the telephoto end and sets the minimum object distance to approximately 1.3' (from 3.3') giving you the opportunity to shoot spectacular close-ups with the dramatic look of shallow depth-of-field.
- Cinema-Look Filters
- This feature offers a choice of seven varied built-in adjustable filters, which give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. The looks can be previewed in the LCD display while shooting, and also applied post-capture for additional convenience and versatility. Choose from Cinema Standard, Dream, Old Movies, Vivid, Cool, Nostalgic, Dramatic Black-and-White, Memory or Sepia. The brightness of each filter can be adjusted low, medium or high, for even greater control. When Cinema Standard is selected, color depth, softening, and contrast can also be adjusted.
- Touch Decoration
- You'll also be able to use the touch panel for Touch Decoration. This feature lets you superimpose select decorations onto the images on your LCD and then records the images, complete with the additions. You may add animation effects, handwritten and stamp messages or insert a still image to give your video a truly individual look.
- Increased Audio Adjustability
- The VIXIA HF G20 camcorder's microphone has updated elements that increase clarity at medium and low frequencies, so even faint sounds are recorded clearly. Three microphone positions let you adjust recording to suit the position of the zoom or your subjects: front for monaural recording; regular for normal stereo effect; and rear for a wider, more enhanced stereo effect. Frequency response characteristics can be adjusted for the scene with several options. You can balance all frequencies for normal recording, emphasize low frequencies for impactful live music recording, attenuate low frequencies to reduce ambient noise, emphasize mid frequencies to focus on voices, or emphasize low and high frequencies to record live music with balanced lows and highs.
- Audio Scene Select
- Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easier to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
- Pro-Style Lens Hood & Eye Cup
- The VIXIA HF G20 camcorder includes a large lens hood that shuts out unwanted flare from external light sources, and incorporates a lens barrier that eliminates the need for a lens cap. The hood can be attached even when using a Canon filter. The large, comfortable eye cup is the same as that used on Canon's XA 10 professional model, and is designed to improve visibility by blocking out extra light.
- 100% View Ratio
- The VIXIA HF G20 is designed with a 100% view ratio, which affords optimum visibility so you'll get exactly the shot you want.
- Versatile Display Features
- Videographers with exacting needs will appreciate the VIXIA HF G20's range of functions designed to assist in pinpoint focus adjustment and exposure control. Color peaking, zebra pattern, waveform/edge monitor, SMPTE color bars and an audio test tone are all available.
- The Pre-Record feature places your VIXIA HF G20 camcorder in a stand-by "pre-roll" mode. With this feature the camcorder continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is recorded too. This makes it easier to capture the exact moment you want without missing anything.
- Quick Start
- The Quick Start function gets you up and shooting whenever a great scene happens. Simply open the LCD panel and the camcorder powers on.
- Native 24p Progressive Mode
- The VIXIA HF G20 features the Native 24p Progressive Mode, which allows 24 frames per second to be captured and recorded (instead of the standard 60i) - a must for serious filmmaking work.
- Story Creator
- Story Creator assists you in the process of creating an organized and sophisticated video. Choose one of five different themes - Travel, Kids and Pets, Party, Ceremony or Blog - and the camcorder provides a list of suggested scenes to shoot. After capturing your video, Story Creator helps you categorize and rate your scenes, making it easy to review, select and play back your favorites.
- Video SnapShot
- Video Snapshot lets you record a series of short video clips - or you can select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode - and blend in your favorite background music to create a personal movie. Video Snapshot on the VIXIA HF G20 allows selectable recording time (2, 4, or 8 seconds). Additionally, audio from an external source such as an MP3 player can be played along with the Snapshot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source.
- Instant AF
- Canon's Instant AF focusing system uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon's autofocus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus - even in low-light conditions. This system achieves focus instantaneously, reducing focus "hunting." This is feature really helps in high brightness or night shooting situations. In addition, with Instant AF it's possible to capture fast, accurate focusing even when following a moving subject. Medium AF is also available. It is softer and smoother than Instant AF, but still faster than manual focusing. The camcorder has a Face Priority AF option as well.
- Accessories Get the Most from Your Camcorder
- Canon offers a wide range of accessories that inspire your creativity and productivity alike. Canon's optional WM-V1 Wireless Microphone allows you to record high-quality audio without wires from up to 164' away (50m), making it ideal for ceremonies and recitals. For the ultimate home theater experience, the optional 5.1-channel Surround Sound Microphone SM-V1 uses five distinct pickup sensors to capture sound from all directions, making your home movies sound more lifelike. The optional Canon WD-H58W Wide Converter is optically matched for the VIXIA HF G20's HD lens. It provides a magnification factor of 0.8x, increasing wide-angle capability to approximately 24mm (35mm equivalent).
Professional Shooting Assist Functions
- Shooting with Pro Features
- To provide an exceptional level of control over the components of the video you shoot with the VIXIA HF G20, you will find a range of shooting assist functions normally only available to professional videographers.
- Custom Key & Dial
A Custom Key and Dial feature allows you to assign functions to an easily accessible key and adjust the settings with a control dial. They include:
Tv/Av: Use the dial to adjust shutter speed (Tv mode) or aperture (Av mode), as needed. In this mode the key has no effect.
Manual exposure: When manual control is selected, the dial can adjust aperture, shutter speed, or gain. Select items to adjust, such as aperture or other settings, with the key.
Exposure Lock can be set on or off as can the AGC Limit.
- Focus & Exposure Aids
- The VIXIA HF G20 also features Focus Assist. It includes enlargement, which helps in capturing your subject in focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording. Also included is color peaking, which shows your subject's focused areas in actual colors. With Canon's Edge Monitor Focus Assist system, a green monitor is shown at the bottom of the LCD Display. The green waveform shows overall focus of the image, and the height rises to indicate the area in focus. Through this dynamic focus feedback, you can intuitively tune focus in a scene and quickly change the zone of focus. There is also a waveform monitor built right into the camera, which shows a detailed view of overall image brightness. And, enhanced zebra pattern (70% or 100%) indicates 'blown out' or high brightness areas to help you set the proper exposure.
- Level & Grid Marker Composition Aids
- With the Level Marker feature, it's easy to keep your camcorder level for more professional looking shooting. Line up any horizontal lines in your shot - such as the horizon - to the marker and you can be sure your camcorder is level. The Grid Marker helps you compose your shot accurately, by referencing a grid in your viewfinder. Depending on the background color of your shot, you can choose between two different colors for better viewing contrast.
- Advanced Control
The VIXIA HF G20 features full manual exposure, as well as aperture priority (Av), and shutter priority (Tv) modes.
Either color bars or color bars and test tone can be selected and recorded using a menu. The color bars comply with the SMPTE standard. -12dB, -18dB or -20dB can be selected as the test tone.
The white balance control has six available presets settable through a variety of day and artificial light conditions (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent H, Fluorescent), as well as two manual white balance settings. Color temperature may also be manually set from 2000K to 15,000K in 100K increments for more precise adjustment.
Gain may be manually set from 0dB to 24dB in 1dB increments. Additionally, Auto Gain Control Limit allows you to set the maximum gain limit for the image sensor's sensitivity. With this function, brightness and noise can be balanced as required, and image quality can be maximized in low-light situations.
The zoom speed, as controlled by the rocker and handle controls, is selectable, with a choice of variable or 16 fixed speeds, with fast/normal/slow settings for greater control while zooming in various situations.