The Sekonic Litemaster Pro L-478D Light Meter and X-Rite ColorChecker Passport with Sekonic Gray Balance Card combines the innovative L-478D incident and flash meter with the ColorChecker Passport to simplify the process of calibrating your camera for accurate exposure levels and colors. Utilizing free software from Sekonic and X-Rite, photographers can easily create an exposure profile of their cameras, calibrate their meters and make profiles that will deliver optimal color and exposure settings for specific photo and cine applications.
The color touch screen-based navigation of the L-478D lends itself to a highly intuitive and efficient workflow, allowing you to quickly modify exposure settings and navigate menus. It is also highly versatile and capable of measuring flash, incident and reflected light for still, HD video, or cine applications.
The L-478D can be customized or adapted to your own specifications; depending on the metering modes you use most often, you can hide certain modes to create a more streamlined menu system. Exposure constants include shutter speed, f/-number, ISO, shutter angle, and frame rate; and the exposure variable can be decided upon depending on the situation you are working in. Illuminance and luminance values can also be taken, which are measured in footcandles/lux or candela per square meter/foot-lamberts, respectively. For more fine-tuned results, you can create and input personal profiles, allowing the meter to display exposure settings in accordance with your specific camera's dynamic range and clipping points.
Other settings available include the ability to memorize up to 10 different exposure readings in order to refer back for comparative overall measurements. The AVE/EV setting allows you to make one master exposure reading and have subsequent readings displayed as differential values based on the master exposure value. When working with flash metering, the flash exposure values can be expressed as a percentage of the flash-to-ambient light, giving you the ability to more easily alter and previsualize lighting ratios. Filter compensation and exposure compensation settings can also be applied in order to remove the necessity to apply different filter factors after a meter reading has been taken.
The ColorChecker Passport provides the standard 24-color patch for creating DNG profiles, a creative enhancement target for evaluating warm and cool tones and shadows, a white balance target and the Sekonic Gray Balance Card available only in this special bundle. The Sekonic Gray Balance card enables you to do incident-only calibration with the Sekonic Data Transfer System (DTS) and reflected light calibration with the separately purchased Viewfinder 5º attachment.
The targets are housed in a protective, compact, "passport" case that reduces color fading and contains a built-in stand for optimal placement.
- Color Touch Screen Interface and Design
- The touch screen provides a more intuitive style of navigation and allows you to simply touch the settings you wish to adjust. Menu navigation is intuitive and the handling of various configurations becomes an expedited process.
- Simple visual layout provides a clear view of your exposure setting and permits customization in regard to the information you wish to be displayed (including a choice of analog exposure scales (EV or f/-stops); 1, 1/2, or 1/3 step increments; the inclusion of 1/10 stops; and the option to hide metering modes you do not use frequently).
- One physical menu button provides access to a more in-depth menu system that is then navigated through the touch screen. This menu allows for you to program exposure profiles and modify custom settings for your meter.
- Measure and memory buttons are located on the side of the device for recording and initiating exposure readings. A PC sync terminal is located on the bottom of the device for direct, corded flash metering. A USB terminal is located on the side and provides a connection point to your computer for firmware updates and for loading exposure profiles to your meter. The attached light receptor features a retractable Lumisphere that can be rotated 90° clockwise or 180° counter-clockwise. It is also removable in order to facilitate the use of optional attachments.
- Versatility Between Metering Methods
- Ability to measure incident or flash light and display exposure readings as f/-numbers, shutter speeds, or ISO settings for use with still imaging, HD video, and cine uses. Exposure constants also include frame rate and shutter angle for a variety of motion uses.
- Also capable of measuring illuminance as footcandles/lux or luminance as candela per square meter/foot-lamberts.
- Flash metering can display the percentage of flash-to-ambient light within the scene for precise lighting ratios.
- Comparative metering can be accomplished by using the AVE/EV function; allowing you to set a standard reading and have subsequent readings shown as the difference in exposure value.
- Cinematic modes offer creative options for setting frame rates between 1 to 1000fps or shutter angles from 1° to 358°.
- Filter compensation mode enables you to directly apply the effects of filters to your exposure reading. Up to four different filter factors can be applied at once, and up to 30 different filter factors can be stored for use (24 common filters are pre-programmed, including CTB, CTO, ND, +/- green, and 85 amber filters).
- Custom Profiling
- You can enable and disable different metering modes from showing up in menus, allowing you to configure the meter to your own personal workflow.
- Calibration and custom profiling can be accomplished in accordance to your own personal camera by executing a series of exposure tests, processing the tests through Sekonic's Data Transfer Software (included), and outputting the results as a personal profile for use with your meter. These personal profiles confine your meter to work within your specific camera's dynamic range (up to 10 distinct profiles can be saved). Profiles can also be modified or created directly through the meter.
- Display Range
- ISO- ISO 3 to 409600 (in 1/3 steps)
- Shutter Speed- Ambient: 30 min. to 1/6400 sec. (in 1, 1/2, and 1/3 steps), 1/200 and 1/400 sec. also available
Flash: 30 min. to 1/1000 sec. (in 1, 1/2, and 1/3 steps), 1/75, 1/80, 1/90, 1/100, 1/200, and 1/400 sec. also available
- Aperture- f/0.5 to f/162.2 (in 1/3 steps)
- Frame Rate (f/s)- 1 to 1000 (20 types other possible settings)
- Shutter Angle- 1° to 358° (20 types other possible settings)
- EV- EV -27.9 to 55.8 (only effective with ambient light)
- Analog- T scale: 4 to 1/2000 sec. (in 1/3 steps)
F scale: f/1.0 to f/90 (in 1/3 steps)
EV scale: EV -3 to 3 (incident light, in 1/3 steps) / EV -7 to 7 (reflected light, in 1/3 steps)
Illuminance lux: 0 to 50,000 lux
Illuminance fc: 0 to 5,000 fc
Luminance cd/m2: 0 to 2,500 cd/m2
Luminance fl: 0 to1,000 fl
- Contrast- EV -9.9 to 9.9 (in 1/10 steps)
- Filter Compensation- EV -5 to 5 (in 1/10 steps)
- Compensation- EV -9.9 to 9.9 (in 1/10 steps)
- ColorChecker Passport
- The X-Rite ColorChecker Passport provides photographic targets in a compact, durable case with a built-in stand for controllable shooting angles. Utilizing the included camera calibration software, it allows you to quickly and easily capture accurate color, enhance portraits and landscapes, and maintain color control and consistency from capture to edit. The Creative Enhancement Target provides enhancement patches and allows you to check shadow details and highlights and check and control color shifting. The Classic Color Target lets you evaluate specific colors and create a DNG profile and the White Balance Target will allow you to have consistent, customized, in-camera white balance.
- Sekonic Gray Balance Card
- Also housed in the ColorChecker Passport and only available bundled with the Litemaster L-478-Series meters is the specially produced Sekonic Gray Balance Card. The purpose of the Sekonic Gray Balance Card is to enable reflected-light calibration when using the separately purchased Viewfinder 5º attachment. There is an “Incident Only” calibration method available with Sekonic’s Data Transfer System that needs no additional accessories.
- Data Transfer System
- Sekonic’s Data Transfer System (DTS) simplifies exposure and meter calibration using the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport w/Sekonic Gray Balance Card. With Sekonic’s DTS Version 3, you can create an exposure profile and map out the dynamic range of your DSLR or digital video camera. Transferring this data to the Sekonic L-478D meter enables it to recognize which details of a scene or subject will be properly imaged and which will be over or under the range of the camera. There are two ways to calibrate the L-478D meters using Sekonic’s DTS Version 3 software: incident-only calibration using Sekonic’s DTS enables creating exposure profiles for precise metering without need for additional accessories and reflected-light calibration requires the L-478-series Viewfinder 5° attachment, available separately, to read the Sekonic Gray Balance Card for calibrated reflected-light readings.