The Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Digital Camera from Sony is a "bridge" camera with a 20.4MP back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor with a 50x optical zoom lens. The CMOS sensor combined with the BIONZ image processor create photos and videos with sharp details, accurate colors and minimal noise. It is particularly effective in low light with ISO sensitivity that extends to 12800. On the low end, an ISO sensitivity of 80 will create images with saturated colors and rich tones. The image processing engine and sensor in the HX300 offer fast response times and autofocus speeds and a continuous shooting rate of 10fps at full resolution.
The Carl Zeiss Sonnar-Vario T* 50x optical zoom lens is equivalent to a 24-1200mm lens in the 35mm format. With a broad focal range that extends from wide-angle to ultra telephoto, it is capable of handling almost any shooting situation. Its maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the wide-angle end is effective in low light and offers shallow depth of field options. In addition, Optical SteadyShot image stabilization compensates for camera shake to provide sharp images when shooting in low light and at the long focal lengths provided by this lens.
Full HD 1080p video capture is supported by the HX300 at 60fps and lower resolution video capture allows you to shoot videos sized to be directly uploaded to the web. SteadyShot Active Mode offers image stabilization for video that will smooth out clips shot while moving.
A 3.0" 921k-dot tiltable LCD monitor provides composition and playback viewing. High resolution imaging means your images will look sharp and accurate on the monitor and the tilting function helps to eliminate glare and allows you to confidently compose shots and high and low angles. An electronic viewfinder is also provided for eye-level composition.
The HX300 is classified as a "bridge" camera because it offers the convenient features of a point-and-shoot, such as Intelligent Auto, and also the control and performance of a DSLR. With a large grip, manual zoom and focus rings, accessible mode dials and the electronic viewfinder, you can handle and operate your camera like a DSLR. Also, manual exposure controls in aperture-priority, shutter-priority, program and manual modes allow image control options that standard point and shoots cannot offer.
Features such as Superior Auto, which recognizes moving subjects and adjusts the camera's settings for blur-free images, Advanced Flash, which can illuminate subjects out of reach of standard flash range, Intelligent Sweep Panorama, which creates one-touch 360º panoramic images and Picture Effects, which adds creative special effects to photos and videos, make the HX300 a versatile, easy to use, multi-function digital camera.
- 20.4MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ Image Processor
- Captures high definition images with sharp details and minimal noise, even in low light; offers speedy performance and response speeds, including fast burst shooting.
- 50x Optical Zoom Lens
- A powerful Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens with 50x optical zoom capability offers the 35mm focal length equivalency of a 24-1200mm lens, for wide-angle to super-telephoto reach. This is an incredibly long telephoto zoom lens able to capture subjects near and far. The maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the wide-angle end offers effective low-light imaging.
- 3.0" Tiltable LCD Display with 921k-dot Resolution
- Still photos and movies can be clearly displayed on the 3.0" Tiltable LCD display with 921k-dot resolution. Histogram and Grid Display are available and 5 brightness levels allow you to compose and view your images in any lighting situation. The tilting feature can adjust to remove glare and to shoot at low or high angles. An eye-level electronic viewfinder is also available for image composition.
- Full HD 1080/60p Video Capture
- The DSC-HX300 can capture videos in clips up to 29 minutes utilizing the Full HD 1080/60p AVCHD format. Lesser resolution videos can also be recorded at 60 and 30 frames per second and dual record mode allows you to shoot photos and videos simultaneously.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization offers compensation to reduce the blurring effects of camera movement when shooting at slower shutter speeds. This is particularly effective when shooting in low light or at the longer focal lengths provided by the camera's 50x zoom lens. Active 3-Way stabilization adds digital rolling control that counters clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation, resulting in more stable videos even at long focal lengths.
- Fast 10fps Burst Shooting
- The DSC-HX300 can shoot up to 10 frames per second in full 20.4MP resolution.
- Intelligent Sweep Panorama
- Intelligent Sweep Panorama mode takes Sony's Sweep Panorama function to the next level with the addition of motion compensation. Even when subjects are moving in the foreground of your landscape, the HX300 can detect faces and moving subjects, intelligently stitching different widths together to minimize distortion. Simply press the shutter button and sweep the camera in the desired direction and the camera continuously shoots at a high speed, then seamlessly stitches the images together with automatic position adjustment to create one stunning panoramic image. Available in wide format and up to 360° full circle.
- Enhanced Superior Auto
- The Intelligent Auto function allows the camera to make the optimal settings based on its recognition of the scene you are shooting and Superior Auto provides blur-free results when shooting scenes with moving subjects.
- Advanced Flash
- Advanced Flash allows you to shoot bright, beautifully lit photos even when zooming. The built-in pop-up flash reaches farther resulting in brighter subjects in dimly lit rooms or outdoors in the evening.
- Bridge Camera Design
- The DSC-HX300 is a "bridge" camera with the ease of use akin to a point-and-shoot, but the design and control of a DSLR. With a relatively large body and ergonomic hand grip you have the advantage of secure handling and control when shooting. Manual zoom and focus rings offer smooth adjustments, a convenient top-plate dial makes changing modes easy, and an electronic viewfinder offers eye-level composition and shooting stability.
- Manual Exposure Control
- Manual control of aperture, shutter speed and ISO is offered with P/A/S/M modes.
- Face Detection and More
- Face Detection allows you to take better portraits and group shots. It recognizes up to 8 faces within your image and adjusts the camera for optimal exposure of faces. Blink Detection and Smile Shutter Technology help you get the best shot by recognizing the ideal moment to release the shutter.
- Tracking Focus and Face Tracking Focus
- Tracking Focus makes it easier to capture clear shots of moving subjects by having the focus automatically adjust while you follow the action with the camera. Face Tracking will hold focus on a selected face while you await the perfect moment to shoot.
- Background Defocus
- Background Defocus allows you to blur the background on an image in order to put more emphasis on the clearly focused subject in the foreground. It is a useful effect for portraiture.
- Picture and Beauty Effects
- Picture Effect adds creative expression to photos, making ordinary landscapes and portraits special by heightening mood and emphasizing certain attributes. Nine different effects such as watercolor and partial color can add interesting touches to your images. Beauty Effect works similarly, letting you add color to cheeks and whiten teeth. Other in-camera editing is available such as trimming, unsharp masking, red-eye correction and date view.
- Erase and Protect Features
- Erasing and protecting images can be done in various modes: Single Image, Selection of Images, by Date, by Folder and by AVCHD format.