The GR Digital Camera from Ricoh is a high performance compact camera with a 16.2MP APS-C size sensor and the GR Engine V Image Processor for sharp, high resolution imaging and fast response time. The camera's sensor is designed without the optical low-pass filter in order to produce particularly sharp details.
Its fixed focal length 18.3mm lens has the 35mm equivalency of a 28mm lens, and with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 you can effectively work this wide-angle lens in low light situations and produce shallow depth of field images. Two aspherical elements in the lens design minimize aberrations for sharpness from corner to corner within the frame.
An expansive ISO range from 100-25600 provides further low light capability and the GR Engine V works to keep noise-levels down, even at high ISOs. Full HD 1080p video capture is supported with continuous autofocus during shooting. Multiple resolutions and frames per second are available including 60 fps in 720 HD.
A 3.0" 1,230k-dot LCD monitor provides composition and playback viewing and WhiteMagic technology, which adds white pixels to the standard RGB colors, improves image brightness, contrast and visibility even in the brightest lighting. The camera itself offers a compact, lightweight design built from magnesium alloy with an ergonomic rubberized grip and conveniently placed controls all accessible with one hand. A pop-up flash and hot shoe mount are incorporated as is a dual-axis electronic level for proper image alignment.
The GR supports both JPEG and RAW formats and offers fast performance, including one second start-up time, fast autofocus speeds and up to 4 fps continuous shooting speed at full resolution. A designated AF button provides continuous AF when shooting moving subjects and an aperture preview button allows you to check your exposure and depth of field before shooting.
Fully automatic modes, including Face Detection, are available as are aperture and shutter priority modes and full manual exposure control. The GR also offers Shutter / Aperture Priority mode which automatically sets ISO sensitivity based on your exposure adjustments. Macro mode for detailed close-ups is supported and a 35mm crop mode allows you to size your images with 35mm film frame ratios. Nine image effects are also available to add creative expression to both your stills and videos. Image Effects include Retro, Cross-Process and High Key.
Function-enhancing firmware upgrades, which have been popular with all GR-series models, will become available for the new GR as well, keeping its advanced performance features up to date.
- 16 MP APS-C CMOS Image Sensor
- The GR's 16.2MP APS-C CMOS image sensor offers low-noise characteristics even at high ISO, super-high resolution imaging quality, color accuracy and a wide dynamic range.
- GR ENGINE V Image Processor
- The advanced GR ENGINE V imaging engine offers high-sensitivity shooting with minimal noise and fast response times, including fast autofocus and up to 4 fps continuous shooting.
- No Optical Low-Pass Filter
- The omission of the low-pass filter in the sensor design enables particularly sharp details and color-rich images. To balance for lack of the Optical Low-Pass filter, a chromatic moiré compensation function is added to minimize wavy moiré patterns and distortion in certain images.
- 18.3mm f/2.8 Lens (28mm Equivalency in 35mm Format)
- The GR's fixed wide angle 18.3mm f/2.8 GR lens, equivalent to 28mm in the 35mm format, provides high resolution images with edge-to-edge sharpness and low distortion. The seven element lens design includes two aspherical elements to minimize chromatic aberrations. With its newly designed nine blade diaphragm, the GR lens produces a natural bokeh effect at larger apertures.
- 3.0" 1,230k-dot LCD Screen with WhiteMagic Technology
- Featuring Sony WhiteMagic technology which adds white pixels to the standard RGB colors to improve image brightness and visibility, the rear 3.0" LCD provides composition and playback viewing.
- Optional Optical Viewfinders
- Two optical viewfinders are available (both sold separately) to enhance composition capability and stability. The GV-2 28mm mini viewfinder and the GV-1 21/28mm viewfinder both attach to the camera's hot shoe mount.
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording
- Capture Full HD video in widescreen 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080) with efficient, high quality h.264 compression at 30 fps. Continuous Autofocus remains active with movement as the camera stays focused on moving subjects in the center of its angle of view.
- ISO 100-25600
- Supported by its APS-C sensor and the advanced GR V imaging engine, the GR offers high sensitivity shooting from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 with minimal noise.
- High Speed Autofocus System with 4 fps Continuous Shooting
- The high speed autofocus system captures crisp subjects in a mere 0.2 seconds, and start-up time is only one second. The GR's AF Continuous Shooting function captures a series of photos at a maximum speed of four frames per second, allowing capture of fast-moving subjects in sharp focus.
- Designated AF & Aperture Preview Buttons
- An AF (autofocus) button is accessible with the thumb on the back panel. When the AF lever is set to the Continuous AF (C-AF) mode, you can capture a series of images of a moving subject - all in sharp focus - by pushing the shutter release button while depressing the AF button. An aperture preview button is on the camera's side panel for quick confirmation of the depth of field before shooting.
- JPG or DNG RAW Capture
- Capture both JPG and open-standard DNG RAW images. The GR offers a variety of computer-free image processing functions, including in-body RAW-data development to output JPEG format files.
- Manual and Automatic Modes
- You can set the GR to shoot on fully automatic mode, allowing the camera to determine the optimal settings for each shot or shoot in manual, controlling all settings to you exact needs. Aperture-priority and Shutter-priority modes as well as custom My Settings mode are available also.
- Shutter Speed/Aperture Priority Mode
- The GR features the original Shutter speed / Aperture Priority (TAv) exposure mode, featured only in PENTAX/RICOH-brand digital SLR cameras. This innovative mode automatically sets the optimum ISO sensitivity based on the shutter speed and aperture selected by the photographer.
- Shutter Type
- The GR utilizes an in-lens leaf shutter and enables flash sync up to 1/2000 of a second.
- Built-in Flash and Hot Shoe Mount
- The GR offers a convenient built-in pop-up flash unit with several flash modes, a Guide Number of 5.4 (at ISO 100) and an effective range of 3.3 - 9.8'. In addition a TTL-A (TTL with pre-flash) hot shoe mount for an external flash is provided. The maximum sync speed for an external flash is 1/400 seconds.
- Neutral Density Filter
- For further exposure control the GR incorporates an ND filter in both manual and automatic modes.
- Image Effects
- The Image Effect modes allow the user to add a variety of visual effects to create distinctive expressions without the need for a computer. The direct-access Effect button positioned on the camera's side panel makes selection of one of the nine image effects easy. Effects include: B&W, B&W (Toning Effect), High Contrast B&W, Cross-Process, Positive Film, Bleach-Bypass, Retro, Miniaturize, High-Key.
- Macro Mode
- Macro mode allows you to capture the details with sharp close-up imaging. Minimum focus distance in macro Mode is 3.9".
- 35mm Crop Mode
- For that classic 35mm look, use the specialized crop mode to instantly set a 35mm frame ratio crop.
- Durable Compact Design
- Despite its large image sensor, the GR has a compact and portable design. Its casing is made of a lightweight magnesium alloy, while its exterior design retains the style typical of the GR series. Designed for maximum comfort and operational ease, all control buttons are laid out for easy access with the right hand.
- Dual-axis Electronic Level
- For high precision horizontal and vertical alignment, use the electronic dual-axis level to make sure your shot is perfectly aligned with the horizon or framed just the way you want it.
- Eye-Fi Card Compatible
- With Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards, the user can automatically transmit recorded images to a smartphone, and even select favorite images and resize them before transmission. In the playback mode, the user can also recall the transmitted images on the monitor using the Effect button on the side panel.
- Languages Supported
- GRs shipped outside of Asia or Japan will include: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek and Russian.